1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C207 main beam bulb fitting idiocy

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Jodyonekenobi, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jodyonekenobi

Jodyonekenobi New Member

Your Mercedes:
    1984 280CE / 1991 300SE / 2014 E220 Coupé
    im sorry to be asking stupid questions so soon after registering, but my bulb-fitting-fu has failed spectacularly, so here we are. I bought some new OSRAM Nightbreaker H7 bulbs (Amazon) to replace the main beams in my C207 (which otherwise has LED dips). I was suspicious about the legitimacy of the bulbs, so checked them out with OSRAM, and they are genuine items, I think (German translation in reply, so a sporting percentage of doubt).

They aren’t going in. The bulb attachment is particularly fiddly, basically a bayonet system operated blind and with fingertips only. Is this common to other Mercs of the same era? I haven’t measured the new bulbs, but to the eye they look the same dimensionally as the OSRAM bulbs that came out, and they seat nicely in the holders, and seat visibly flat from the lens side.

But: I can’t tighten the bayonet back up (turning CW). I tried for half an hour earlier and succeeded only in bleeding fingertips and a general strop. Eventually, I gave in and chose to refit the original bulbs, and it nearly killed me getting them back in again. Anybody else suffered at the hands of these infernal things? Am I missing something bleedingly obvious?!

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    They aren't the easiest...

3. ordessa

ordessa Member

Your Mercedes:
    B class

4. ordessa

ordessa Member

Your Mercedes:
    B class
    bl**dy understatement
    I tried replacing mine...
    After 2 hours of skimmed knuckles and swearing... I gave up...paid Halfords to fit them! and they got it horribly wrong..

Most utterly stupid and ludicrous thing I've ever encountered... a simple click fit...NO way.. you have to have a nack! I'll be in my box before I work it out....

Pathetic! Imagine the poor AA chap at the roadside in the pouring rain!

5. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I’ve not had the (dis) pleasure of changing bulbs on a C class so cannot comment on the access. I did my drivers side on the SLK on Saturday and with the drivers wheel off and the wheel arch liner removed (2 x 8mm screws and 6 x 10mm nuts/screws) and the access is clear space.
    If you can get the same then it’s worth doing for your knuckles alone.

6. Bubble

Bubble Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Coupe / Hyundai Santa Fe / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
    I feel your pain..... literally!

I too changed my main beam bulbs for Osram. Skinned
    knuckles and cut fingers they were in. It took well over half an hour to do both sides. I hope to never have to do them again!

7. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tiptronic cabriolet
    The mains and dips on my s204 are not too bad - except I found out the hard way it's possible to install the bulbs wrong way round (180 degrees out). Wondered why the beam pattern was so crap after the change, finally pulled the bulbs again and used an inspection mirror with LED lights on it to see where the slot was in the holder. Would be easier if we had 3 hands instead of 2, so you could hold the inspection mirror, bulb and torch all at once and easily!

However, changing the side/position bulbs is another matter altogether, especially the NS ones. Then you are into skinned knuckles and much swearing country, so after trying a number of different LED's, all of which failed fairly quickly, I reverted to standard bulbs which actually last!

8. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    It seems that no one has had the pleasure of replacing the driver's side side light on a Smart Roadster ..... they are a 'challenge' aren't they LK lol lol

9. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    I'm not sure how you managed that .... as you say, there's a tab on the bulb that sits in a detent in the headlamp and the plug on the loom would have been upside down

10. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    I did exactly the same

Chrishazle likes this.
  11. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I've swapped bulbs around a couple of times on the Clk , yes they are always fiddly and I found it impossible in France for 30 mins when I needed to change one in a car park .
    After giving up I read the cars manual and 2 mins later job done with minor back of the hand bleeding

12. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    I managed to fit the passenger side dipped headlight upside down in my R451 Smart, didn't realise until Mercedes picked it up on the MOT and refitted it for me the right way round FOC :)

13. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I did mine in front of Malcolm. Was pretty straight forward but he was amazed I did it there's so little room!

EmilysDad likes this.
  14. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    Megane convertible - to change headlight bulb, first remove bumper after disconnecting inset foglights, and carefully lay to one side. Then remove each complete headlamp assembly after disconnecting wiring, then remove and replace appropriate bulb. Reassembly is the reverse of this procedure.

Easily done at the roadside in sleet and wind, of course.

15. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Some years ago I had a Volvo S40 MK2.
    Easiest car ever to change a headlight. Pull a metal stake up, headlight falls out, change bulb, reinsert light, refit stake. Dead easy and no tools required!

16. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    I think this is the right car, as per my SLK wheel and arch liner out

17. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    911 was easy, 1 tool in the tool kit, slots through a hole turn 180' and headlight pops out completely

18. davidsl500

davidsl500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R129 SL500 - GONE!!, X Type 2.2D SE
    Halfords won't do my X type lamps - its on their list of no no's.... I can do the awkward offside one in a couple of minutes now - instead of the 1 1/2 hours it took me the first time..

19. OP
    Jodyonekenobi

Jodyonekenobi New Member

Your Mercedes:
    1984 280CE / 1991 300SE / 2014 E220 Coupé
    Thanks for the replies- not just me then! However, I’d prefer to have been exposed as a cretin, and shown how to do it easily. I think I’ll retreat till the weekend, and have a go again with an army of mirrors, cameras, lights, bendy pliers and things, and coffee. Wish me luck.

20. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    Take the wheel and the wheel arch liner out and they’re right there