C207 main beam bulb fitting idiocy

Jodyonekenobi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 280CE / 1991 300SE / 2014 E220 Coupé
im sorry to be asking stupid questions so soon after registering, but my bulb-fitting-fu has failed spectacularly, so here we are. I bought some new OSRAM Nightbreaker H7 bulbs (Amazon) to replace the main beams in my C207 (which otherwise has LED dips). I was suspicious about the legitimacy of the bulbs, so checked them out with OSRAM, and they are genuine items, I think (German translation in reply, so a sporting percentage of doubt).

They aren’t going in. The bulb attachment is particularly fiddly, basically a bayonet system operated blind and with fingertips only. Is this common to other Mercs of the same era? I haven’t measured the new bulbs, but to the eye they look the same dimensionally as the OSRAM bulbs that came out, and they seat nicely in the holders, and seat visibly flat from the lens side.

But: I can’t tighten the bayonet back up (turning CW). I tried for half an hour earlier and succeeded only in bleeding fingertips and a general strop. Eventually, I gave in and chose to refit the original bulbs, and it nearly killed me getting them back in again. Anybody else suffered at the hands of these infernal things? Am I missing something bleedingly obvious?!

ordessa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
im sorry to be asking stupid questions so soon after registering, but my bulb-fitting-fu has failed spectacularly, so here we are. I bought some new OSRAM Nightbreaker H7 bulbs (Amazon) to replace the main beams in my C207 (which otherwise has LED dips). I was suspicious about the legitimacy of the bulbs, so checked them out with OSRAM, and they are genuine items, I think (German translation in reply, so a sporting percentage of doubt).

They aren’t going in. The bulb attachment is particularly fiddly, basically a bayonet system operated blind and with fingertips only. Is this common to other Mercs of the same era? I haven’t measured the new bulbs, but to the eye they look the same dimensionally as the OSRAM bulbs that came out, and they seat nicely in the holders, and seat visibly flat from the lens side.

But: I can’t tighten the bayonet back up (turning CW). I tried for half an hour earlier and succeeded only in bleeding fingertips and a general strop. Eventually, I gave in and chose to refit the original bulbs, and it nearly killed me getting them back in again. Anybody else suffered at the hands of these infernal things? Am I missing something bleedingly obvious?!

ordessa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
bl**dy understatement
I tried replacing mine...
After 2 hours of skimmed knuckles and swearing... I gave up...paid Halfords to fit them! and they got it horribly wrong..

Most utterly stupid and ludicrous thing I've ever encountered... a simple click fit...NO way.. you have to have a nack! I'll be in my box before I work it out....

Pathetic! Imagine the poor AA chap at the roadside in the pouring rain!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve not had the (dis) pleasure of changing bulbs on a C class so cannot comment on the access. I did my drivers side on the SLK on Saturday and with the drivers wheel off and the wheel arch liner removed (2 x 8mm screws and 6 x 10mm nuts/screws) and the access is clear space.
If you can get the same then it’s worth doing for your knuckles alone.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
I feel your pain..... literally!

I too changed my main beam bulbs for Osram. Skinned
knuckles and cut fingers they were in. It took well over half an hour to do both sides. I hope to never have to do them again!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
The mains and dips on my s204 are not too bad - except I found out the hard way it's possible to install the bulbs wrong way round (180 degrees out). Wondered why the beam pattern was so crap after the change, finally pulled the bulbs again and used an inspection mirror with LED lights on it to see where the slot was in the holder. Would be easier if we had 3 hands instead of 2, so you could hold the inspection mirror, bulb and torch all at once and easily!

However, changing the side/position bulbs is another matter altogether, especially the NS ones. Then you are into skinned knuckles and much swearing country, so after trying a number of different LED's, all of which failed fairly quickly, I reverted to standard bulbs which actually last!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It seems that no one has had the pleasure of replacing the driver's side side light on a Smart Roadster ..... they are a 'challenge' aren't they LK lol lol

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
... it's possible to install the bulbs wrong way round (180 degrees out). ....
I'm not sure how you managed that .... as you say, there's a tab on the bulb that sits in a detent in the headlamp and the plug on the loom would have been upside down

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The mains and dips on my s204 are not too bad - except I found out the hard way it's possible to install the bulbs wrong way round (180 degrees out). Wondered why the beam pattern was so crap

I did exactly the same

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I've swapped bulbs around a couple of times on the Clk , yes they are always fiddly and I found it impossible in France for 30 mins when I needed to change one in a car park .
After giving up I read the cars manual and 2 mins later job done with minor back of the hand bleeding

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm not sure how you managed that .... as you say, there's a tab on the bulb that sits in a detent in the headlamp and the plug on the loom would have been upside down
I managed to fit the passenger side dipped headlight upside down in my R451 Smart, didn't realise until Mercedes picked it up on the MOT and refitted it for me the right way round FOC :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It seems that no one has had the pleasure of replacing the driver's side side light on a Smart Roadster ..... they are a 'challenge' aren't they LK lol lol
I did mine in front of Malcolm. Was pretty straight forward but he was amazed I did it there's so little room!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Megane convertible - to change headlight bulb, first remove bumper after disconnecting inset foglights, and carefully lay to one side. Then remove each complete headlamp assembly after disconnecting wiring, then remove and replace appropriate bulb. Reassembly is the reverse of this procedure.

Easily done at the roadside in sleet and wind, of course.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Some years ago I had a Volvo S40 MK2.
Easiest car ever to change a headlight. Pull a metal stake up, headlight falls out, change bulb, reinsert light, refit stake. Dead easy and no tools required!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think this is the right car, as per my SLK wheel and arch liner out

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some years ago I had a Volvo S40 MK2.
Easiest car ever to change a headlight. Pull a metal stake up, headlight falls out, change bulb, reinsert light, refit stake. Dead easy and no tools required!
911 was easy, 1 tool in the tool kit, slots through a hole turn 180' and headlight pops out completely

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Halfords won't do my X type lamps - its on their list of no no's.... I can do the awkward offside one in a couple of minutes now - instead of the 1 1/2 hours it took me the first time..

OP
J

Jodyonekenobi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 280CE / 1991 300SE / 2014 E220 Coupé
Thanks for the replies- not just me then! However, I’d prefer to have been exposed as a cretin, and shown how to do it easily. I think I’ll retreat till the weekend, and have a go again with an army of mirrors, cameras, lights, bendy pliers and things, and coffee. Wish me luck.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies- not just me then! However, I’d prefer to have been exposed as a cretin, and shown how to do it easily. I think I’ll retreat till the weekend, and have a go again with an army of mirrors, cameras, lights, bendy pliers and things, and coffee. Wish me luck.
Take the wheel and the wheel arch liner out and they’re right there

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom