C220 7G G/Box Help/Diagnostic Scan Enfield

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
As Steveq say's complete change is the way to go...Drain ALL the ATF Sump, TC and Oil Cooler.Replace the filter, gasket and new bolts, and then no more guess work. You will have peace of mind for the foreseeable future.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
The pump I used to do mine was a 'Vorlux' (please excuse any mispelling)! It came with a kit with loads of adaptors for various manufacturers' gearboxes. I still have it of course, a good investment if you intend to do it yourself in forthcoming years. The whole job with new equipment and service bits and fluid was less than a Merc or even Indy price, plus a good afternoon with dad on the car, like the old days! The Torque Converter took a good couple of hours to drain itself through the little grubscrew hole but must be done for a complete and proper job! I think once you've done it, it isn't as daunting for next time and amazing how quickly it'll come around again!

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
The pump I used to do mine was a 'Vorlux' (please excuse any mispelling)! It came with a kit with loads of adaptors for various manufacturers' gearboxes. I still have it of course, a good investment if you intend to do it yourself in forthcoming years. The whole job with new equipment and service bits and fluid was less than a Merc or even Indy price, plus a good afternoon with dad on the car, like the old days! The Torque Converter took a good couple of hours to drain itself through the little grubscrew hole but must be done for a complete and proper job! I think once you've done it, it isn't as daunting for next time and amazing how quickly it'll come around again!

Is there a guide that you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,

There are a number of YouTube videos available.
Here is one --
This is the 7G and not the 7G+ gearbox and he is using the red ATF.
In this one he doesn't drain the TC.
The 7G+ (or at least my one with stop/start) has an electric pump which must be removed (3 bolts) to get at the TC drain bolt.

Also, it is worth having a OBD 2 scanner to show you the ATF temp. I used the iCarSoft i980 which shows the ATF temp.You could use an external infrared thermometer but it probably isn't as accurate.

As you are doing other jobs on your car the i980 (or its successor) will be an essential piece of equipment anyway.

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible

I assume you tackled this at home lying under the car as opposed to a ramp?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I assume you tackled this at home lying under the car as opposed to a ramp?

All things considered, and from what I have seen on the video and the description here on the forum, it's a much simpler job to change the ATF on the 722.6 Transmission.With the car elevated ( axle stands / Lift etc) Remove the under-shield's drain sump and remove, change filter, replace gasket, refit sump to the trans. Etc. Top up trans with same amount as was drained, then open inlet or outlet pipe from the cooler, attach drain pipe, run engine in "P" and drain 2 ltrs into empty container. Stop engine, refill trans with 2 ltrs, and repeat until the new fluid has made its appearance. This is relatively simple compared to draining the TC in the 722.9 boxes, but never having done an oil change on the 722.9 boxes I don't know if it's possible or not to drain the TC via the cooler pipes?

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Yes, tackled this at home using axle stands on dads level drive and a guide from here and, if I recall, a site called Mercedes Medic. Good site actually, printed off the guide and placed in plastic folder inserts to avoid those inevitable grubby paw prints! I used an inexpensive infra red thermometer, seemed to give a good reading based on hot to touch feel of the sump against reading (though some general assumptions on my part were used)!! A proper OBD scanner is likely more reliable. The difference changing the fluid made was extremely noticeable in the drive and feel, the black oil that drained out was most satisfying to watch! Jim2, TC drained directly, not from cooler pipes. Maybe its possible? Parts were from MB Grangemouth excluding oil, which was MB Edinburgh if I recall. Grangemouth gave and still give good discounts to users of this forum. I'd do it again too, the worst part was being under a 2 tonne car on axle stands!!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yes, tackled this at home using axle stands on dads level drive and a guide from here and, if I recall, a site called Mercedes Medic. Good site actually, printed off the guide and placed in plastic folder inserts to avoid those inevitable grubby paw prints! I used an inexpensive infra red thermometer, seemed to give a good reading based on hot to touch feel of the sump against reading (though some general assumptions on my part were used)!! A proper OBD scanner is likely more reliable. The difference changing the fluid made was extremely noticeable in the drive and feel, the black oil that drained out was most satisfying to watch! Jim2, TC drained directly, not from cooler pipes. Maybe its possible? Parts were from MB Grangemouth excluding oil, which was MB Edinburgh if I recall. Grangemouth gave and still give good discounts to users of this forum. I'd do it again too, the worst part was being under a 2 tonne car on axle stands!!
Good write up buddy , I'm thinking of doing my 7g this summer (I did the 5g last year as training) .
There is a worse thing than being under a 2 Ton car on axle stands , and that is being under one not on axle stands :eek:

Top Bottom