C220 Auto transmission issue after fluid change

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C220 AMG Sport Premium Plus Edition
HI

My C220 was driving fine until I just had the auto transmission fluid changed at a service. It’s a 2014 and done 50k miles.

Now, it has a delay in engaging gears and is really snatchy changing between 2nd and 3rd particularly when cold.

Any idea what has caused this from a simple fluid change? (I’ve been back to the garage and they’ve double checked fluid level and also reset the box but no difference)

OP
Craig Brown

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They got the fluid etc from Mercedes, all my receipt says is part number MA0009896905/13 - 7 units.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above, first check.
Any issues on kick down ?

OP
Craig Brown

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, kick down is slow and a couple of times it’s lost all drive for a second and nearly put me through the front screen!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes, kick down is slow and a couple of times it’s lost all drive for a second and nearly put me through the front screen!
Guessing you might have EML flashing up briefly too?

OP
Craig Brown

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
7L not enough to flush the TC too, should be more like 9.5L .
Really? I took it back and asked them to check and they assured me the level is as it should be so I guess only thing to do is get another garage to check

OP
Craig Brown

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the advice gents, I’ll take another trip back to the garage and let you know

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Thanks for the advice gents, I’ll take another trip back to the garage and let you know

Was the work carried out by an MB Dealership and if so, do you know if they updated your ECM with the Emissions Software currently being rolled out while they serviced your car?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
My two first questions are mentioned in the posts above, so I'll put them together and add a third:
First, what was the spec of the fluid put in?
Second, was this a Merc Dealership (I'm guessing not)?
And third, how was the job carried out? There is a right way and a wrong way of changing 7g box fluid, and it can be an untamed beast unless it's done exactly right.

OP
Craig Brown

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My two first questions are mentioned in the posts above, so I'll put them together and add a third:
First, what was the spec of the fluid put in?
Second, was this a Merc Dealership (I'm guessing not)?
And third, how was the job carried out? There is a right way and a wrong way of changing 7g box fluid, and it can be an untamed beast unless it's done exactly right.
Correct, not an MB dealership but a highly rated independent I thought i could trust.
I’m not sure how the job was carried out unfortunately but will ask when i take it back again. What’s the correct way?

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Unfortunately there are inherent problems when doing a complete "Flush" of the system, (of which I know a lot of people are going to disagree) it can actually do more harm than good.

By "Flushing-out" it can dislodge minute particles which can get trapped within the system, not to mention create air bubbles that can also get trapped. I have known of Transmissions to be irretrievable damaged by Flushing.

Of course it is an extreme exception rather than a rule that this happens - but it can happen!

And I learnt this from a very learned and experienced Automatic Gearbox Technician. He actually confessed that he, (personally) would never Transmission Flush any of his cars.

The way he recommended, and the procedure he follows and advises is to do is a Periodic Drain and Fill of the Sump 3 to 4 times over a period of a few weeks.

This lets the Transmission get used to the fresh Fluid and greatly reduces the risk of dislodging any debris or creating any air bubbles.

This is the procedure I follow and I've never had an issue.

And of course the added advantage is, is that you can do this yourself quite easily!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Great video, and a very thorough technician.

One small comment I would make.
Always use lint-free wipes when cleaning the sump pan. Normal cotton or paper rags will leave lint, which can foul up the valves in the valve body. Ask your local jobbing printer if you have difficulty getting lint-free wipes - that's what they always use.

OP
Craig Brown

Craig Brown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve spoken to the mechanic who advises the TC was not drained so only 7 litres of fluid required.

Also said he had to remove the start stop pump to get access but can’t see how that’s in any way related.

could it be the fact the TC wasn’t drained that’s causing the problem?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom