C220 CDI 2005

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
Hi.

Can anyone advise please. My C220 is being a pain in the *%^$!!!
It is always throwing up fault codes and I do not know what to do for the best.

The code say it is the DPF filter or EGR valve

Up to now we have replaced the EGR Valve, DPF filter, Hot plugs, air filter, Oil filter, Fuel filter, Injectors.

I have also tried using DPF cleaner.

I am now changing the oil every 2/3 months, and taking out approx 11 litres of oil.

It is a great comfortable car when it is working fine, but I am just about at the end of my teather with it.

Can anyone help please.

Last edited:

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
What is exact fault code, which code reader you are using?

Check live data that all pressure sensor readings are plausible (engine off readings same, during run offsets reasonable).

How about MAF sensor, check reading and cleanliness...

Are you using correct, low ash oil?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
From memory some of these earlier DPF equipped cars did have a problem with the DPF sensor valve, and your overfilled oil levels would point to excess fuel being pumped in to operate the regen cycle..Have you had it on Star to read the fault codes.

nokia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde
Hi.

Up to now we have replaced the EGR Valve, DPF filter, Hot plugs, air filter, Oil filter, Fuel filter, Injectors.

I am now changing the oil every 2/3 months, and taking out approx 11 litres of oil.

It is a great comfortable car when it is working fine, but I am just about at the end of my teather with it.

Can anyone help please.

11 litres of oil????

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
could this be an injector fault, where the injector is leaking internally and dumping fuel into the engine all the time, hence the rapidly climbing oil level? an extra 4.5 litres in 2-3 months is an AWFUL lot to be getting into the system

Parkgate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 2.7CDI
Hi.

Can anyone help please.

Other than the logged faults, describe the actual problem? And why are you changing the oil so regularly, and why 11 litres (or do you mean 2 oil changes)?? Does it rev OK? Sluggish? Nothing above 3000rpm? Bad starting?

OP
F

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
What is exact fault code, which code reader you are using?

Check live data that all pressure sensor readings are plausible (engine off readings same, during run offsets reasonable).

How about MAF sensor, check reading and cleanliness...

Are you using correct, low ash oil?
One the codes is P2080, the other I think was P2015

OP
F

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
From memory some of these earlier DPF equipped cars did have a problem with the DPF sensor valve, and your overfilled oil levels would point to excess fuel being pumped in to operate the regen cycle..Have you had it on Star to read the fault codes.
Hi. Sorry but what is Star?

OP
F

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
could this be an injector fault, where the injector is leaking internally and dumping fuel into the engine all the time, hence the rapidly climbing oil level? an extra 4.5 litres in 2-3 months is an AWFUL lot to be getting into the system
I have been told that when the DPF filter does not regen it feeds excess back to the sump.

OP
F

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
Other than the logged faults, describe the actual problem? And why are you changing the oil so regularly, and why 11 litres (or do you mean 2 oil changes)?? Does it rev OK? Sluggish? Nothing above 3000rpm? Bad starting?

The warning of oil level too high comes onto the dash after driving at 70MPH for about 20-30 mins, And yes 1 oil change 11 to 11 1/2 litres. When it runs after an oil change it is great, powerful and goes right through the rev range. it does not go into limp home mode.

OP
F

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
The injectors have been replaced and are seated well, it runs absolutely fine.

pnevesfoto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB W203 C220 CDI Estate
*** oil level insanely high ***

Imagine my surprise when I first tried to change it with a 9 litre container. What a mess!!!

your oil level is insanely high...!!!

the 220CDI 150bhp only takes 6,5lt per change including oil filter change...
you are drowning your engine in oil...
in my case I never fill it above the 6,3~6,4lt...
it is preferably to run with a litle less oil than with a bit more...
you are killing your engine due to overpressures created inside the oil circuit...

I have the same engine as you and when I first got the car it had only 5.1lt inside... I assumed that it was drinking a litle oil over time, but since I changed the oil 10.000 miles ago, it has not drank one drop of it... so as you imagine, you are filling up your engine with twice as much oil as you should...

2014-09-04%2018.13.12_zpsgu50ozbb.jpg

first of all you will need to explain "why you got to the conclusion you need 11lts of engine oil"... only after we will be able to look at other trouble codes you are getting out of the DTC...

Last edited:
OP
F

Fuzzer123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2005 Diesel
your oil level is insanely high...!!!

the 220CDI 150bhp only takes 6,5lt per change including oil filter change...
you are drowning your engine in oil...
in my case I never fill it above the 6,3~6,4lt...
it is preferably to run with a litle less oil than with a bit more...
you are killing your engine due to overpressures created inside the oil circuit...

first of all you will need to explain "why you got to the conclusion you need 11lts of engine oil"... only after we will be able to look at other trouble codes you are getting out of the DTC...

I am sorry but you have not quite understood what i have said. I Only ever fill with the correct quantity. When it comes to emptying the oil it has increased to 11ish litres.

pnevesfoto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB W203 C220 CDI Estate
I am sorry but you have not quite understood what i have said. I Only ever fill with the correct quantity. When it comes to emptying the oil it has increased to 11ish litres.

:confused::confused::confused:

are you a BP or Shell stockholder???

you have a an oil rig on wheels and you are performing the oil multiplication stunt...

have you questioned yourself where the extra volume of "whatever it may be" is coming from???

oil I assure you it is not, but something is draining to the inside of your engine...

man... get some professional help, and be quick at it...

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I assume your car does not have a dipstick?
If you're relying on the electronic oil level indicator on the dash when changing the oil, it can be unreliable. Get a dipstick from EBay for starters.

Russ

pnevesfoto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB W203 C220 CDI Estate
I assume your car does not have a dipstick?
If you're relying on the electronic oil level indicator on the dash when changing the oil, it can be unreliable. Get a dipstick from EBay for starters.

Russ

Hi Russ,

even if he doesn't have a dipstick, he should be able to know the amount of oil he puts in by the number of bottles/cans of oil he opens...

very strange fenomenom the volume of oil being augmented that way... there must be something draining inside the oil circuit...

the thermal exchanger that mixes the oil and the coolant inside the same part could be an explanation for the event, but he should notice a quick drop on coolant level and the dash board should warn him for that event...

gearbox oil and engine oil don't come across at no point in the engine, so I assume they cant mix each other...

fuel??? but fuel only drops inside the combustion chamber, and what falls inside it gets burned or is expeled by the exhaust... right???

is there any possibility that unburnt fuel be dragged into the oil circuit???

there would have to be a very rough, 3 cylinder like, idle... that would mean that one injector was gushing inside the cylinder without any combustion occuring during the cycle, and only then the fuel could infiltrate inside the oil circuit by dragging himself through very loose and warn piston rings... I mean, if it is even possible at all, because my mechanical knowledge isn't that cunning...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom