C220 CDi Estate 2012 Manual Juddering

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
I also had this problem on my w204 c180 of 2011 with now almost 160k miles.
It is much worse when I transport 4 persons in the car, and can be avoided depending on how the clutch is used. It also comes in an intermittent way, especially after long session of stop and go (like in a traffic jam). I believe some surface becomes hot or polished, causing the problem until the surface goes back to normal.
A clutch replacement doesn't seems to be the solution, as the clutch never slips otherwise

I can pinpoint when mine appears, and it’s the opposite to what you describe. I thought it had disappeared after having my engine and gearbox mounts replaced but it does occasionally reappear.
Stop start slow moving traffic I have no problems at all, which is odd because the clutch is surely getting hotter as it’s used more. My clutch judder appears when I’ve been on a long motorway run and haven’t used it for say an hour or so, then when I pull off and the first time I have to drive from a stand still the judder is there and quite bad. I have learnt to live with it as it’s not every day I do long motorway runs, but is annoying.
A lot of manual haters on this forum, and I have to say, I am wishing I’d bought an auto.
I had no preference when I bought the car but had I joined this forum before my purchase I don’t think I’d bought a manual...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Cdi Estate Manual 2012
It sounds exactly like mine !!
As you have probably read i have replaced clutch etc. but it started again after only about 8k.
About 8 9 months ago i was really fed up with it so i got the car up to temp and put it in 4th gear and did a cpl of standing pull away starts riding the clutch, the smell was awful !! Touch wood its been ok ever since, but the test will be this weekend as i'm going away, about 200 miles most of it motorway, fingers crossed.
I wouldn't advise anyone to carry out the same as i did tbh i was that p****d off with it i really didn't care.
That said i do love my c220 sport but sometimes think an auto might have been a better option but i wanted a manual so at least i brought what i really wanted.
I will let you know how the journey goes.

Touliloup

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C180 2011 post lift model
when I’ve been on a long motorway run and haven’t used it for say an hour or so, then when I pull off and the first time I have to drive from a stand still the judder is there and quite bad.
Actually make sense, when I'm in a traffic jam, it's almost always after being a long time at high speed on the highway. So it might not be the stop and go, but maybe the long motorway run that precedes.

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It sounds exactly like mine !!
As you have probably read i have replaced clutch etc. but it started again after only about 8k.
About 8 9 months ago i was really fed up with it so i got the car up to temp and put it in 4th gear and did a cpl of standing pull away starts riding the clutch, the smell was awful !! Touch wood its been ok ever since, but the test will be this weekend as i'm going away, about 200 miles most of it motorway, fingers crossed.
I wouldn't advise anyone to carry out the same as i did tbh i was that p****d off with it i really didn't care.
That said i do love my c220 sport but sometimes think an auto might have been a better option but i wanted a manual so at least i brought what i really wanted.
I will let you know how the journey goes.

Yea, still a lot of love for mine too (same model as yours). As I said, I had no preference between auto and manual when I bought mine. I spent months looking and mine just ticked all the boxes... should’ve had an extra box on my checklist for transmission lol...

Touliloup

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C180 2011 post lift model
Replacing an automatic gearbox and dealing with the dilemma whether to replace the fluid or not according to Mercedes is no fun either... automatic gearbox also do fail, and it's not the price of a clutch!

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Replacing an automatic gearbox and dealing with the dilemma whether to replace the fluid or not according to Mercedes is no fun either... automatic gearbox also do fail, and it's not the price of a clutch!

A new clutch won’t solve the judder. I think it’s down to the dual mass flywheel, not just on Mercs but on other cars too. I had a Passat diesel before the merc which suffered with the same, albeit not as often and not as harsh, but there was a very slight judder there..

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi All,

I am new to this site so hello to you all.
I have an annoying problem with my c220 CDi Estate the car is manual and a 2012 model with the amg alloy pack etc

When the engine is warm (running temp 90 degrees or there abouts) I get a judder when pulling away in first gear from a standstill. fells like anywhere from the gearbox to the rear axle drive wheels. When its cold or hasn't been driven very long at temperature its fine, but as soon as you've done a few miles at temperature the judder appears but only from a standing position, if the car is at temp and parked up for a few mins or so with the engine off when you restart the engine and pull away it will judder, I can only imagine the problem is heat related rather then mileage. The juddering is inconstant sometimes worse than others. I have also noticed that when standing still (with eco off) if the clutch pedal is depressed fully the engine revs increase to around 1000 rpm when clutch is released they drop back to normal running speed. The car was checked by an independant MB mechanic who told me there was nothing wrong with the car really but did advise that maybe the throttle pedal needed replacing as this was a common fault, it was replaced but made no difference.
Other than this problem the car is fine returning in excess of 60 mpg on long runs, any help would be much appreciated.

oil on clutch plate . ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom