C220 cdi mpg experiment

youspurs1

Reaction score
I do 30 miles each way to work, roughly 20 miles of which is dual carriageway.
I stick the CC on 56 - 60 (depends on the lorries) as soon as I can and average 50mpg for the trip to work and 47 going home (uphill)
It amuses me that I never overtake anyone. Don't these idiots screaming down the outside lane at 75 - 80 realise how much they're spending?
Get up 5 minutes earlier and drive slower!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I stick the CC on 56 - 60 (depends on the lorries) as soon as I can and average 50mpg for the trip to work and 47 going home (uphill)
It amuses me that I never overtake anyone. Don't these idiots screaming down the outside lane at 75 - 80 realize how much they're spending?

And when the traffic builds up, lane 1 gets there first anyway.

Just look how close together the idiots in lane 3 get to each other at busy times. And then they are the first to be astonished when there is an "accident" and the Highways Agency closes the road.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It amuses me that I never overtake anyone. Don't these idiots screaming down the outside lane at 75 - 80 realise how much they're spending?

I learnt to drive at a slower pace after being far too early on a 175 mile trip to Stansted, I just cruised at 60mph along the 303. 100 miles later on the M3, cars that had overtaken me some 50 miles back were only a few cars in front. My fuel consumption in the V70R was the best that I ever got at 37mpg, where as its normal average is 19 mpg around here

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
average 50mpg for the trip to work and 47 going home (uphill)

Is that true though?
26 mile journey, 21 miles is motorway, drive at 60 and get around 50 mpg.
Now i drive 120 miles at 80, it takes longer for the mpg to get there but with 3 people and luggage get 51 mpg at journeys end !

John Kerr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
I am envious of you all On my previous C Class220 CDI manual 46 to 50 was the norm.Now I have a CLK Sport ,37 seems to be the best on a steady long run Surely it can't be all down to fatter tyres.I'm beginning to wonder if the latest emission standard lead to increases in fuel consumption.One thing I do notice with the auto,it needs 2000 rpm to change up whereby the manual i rarely needed to go above 1500 rpm.And yes the temp goes up to 80

GregW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe '55
Something bothering me...

I have read regularly here, and some of the above posts are examples, of how the trip computer mpg readout varies from the true figure as calculated by the miles travelled/fuel used method.

Now, this means (given that the mpg calculation is a simple one) that the trip computer must have incorrect data for either the distance travelled or the fuel used figure...or both...!!

Which is it and why?
:confused:

Last edited:

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
I'm beginning to wonder if the latest emission standard lead to increases in fuel consumption.

It is, they are concentrating on what comes out of the exhaust now as whell as trying to make cars fuel efficient and there has to be some give somewhere - you can't have it all. The new V6 CDI is no where near as good on fuel as the IL6. DPF's and the like all reduce the fuel consumption.

My old 220CDI is getting better economy then members are reporting their new 220CDI [STRIKE]Breakdown Efficiently[/STRIKE] "Blue Efficiency" cars are getting.

Yes you may get a bit cheaper road tax but the government will get it back in the extra fuel you will use.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The only time my car would get 50 MPG would be on the back of an AA wagon !

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
It is, they are concentrating on what comes out of the exhaust now as well as trying to make cars fuel efficient and there has to be some give somewhere - you can't have it all. The new V6 CDI is no where near as good on fuel as the IL6. DPF's and the like all reduce the fuel consumption.

My old 220CDI is getting better economy than members are reporting their new 220CDI [STRIKE]Breakdown Efficiently[/STRIKE] "Blue Efficiency" cars are getting.

Yes you may get a bit cheaper road tax but the government will get it back in the extra fuel you will use.

Higher co2 rating will generally mean a greater amount of fuel used. So if the road tax is less the fuel used is less, generally.
True enough the fitting of a DPF will increase consumption and be higher co2 output and possibly take the car to the next road tax band.

My V6 CDI can with reasonable driving return +40mpg. I'm not unhappy with that but would happily take measures to improve if possible.

Fitting narrower tyres might give a little improvement, concerns over insurance are maybe relevant ?? But if I need to buy a set of narrower wheels it might be too long before I recoupe the cost. Replaceing the 225's with 215's is easy enough if the insurance won't be silly in an event.

The car has no DPF, yipee, so nowt for me to consider there.

I think the EGR is a different set up to the earlier that could benefit from Dieselman's mod, so not sure if a mod is an option ??

Other than these points how else has the V6 been Euro'd to improve emissions and cost me more in fuel ?

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Other than these points how else has the V6 been Euro'd to improve emissions and cost me more in fuel ?
Increased EGR percentage and lower compression ratio, which is the killer for efficiency.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Realisticaly I can't do anything about the lower compression and as the EGR % has increased to make an even greater difference I'll have to monitor the EGR thread waiting for someone to detail a suitable mod. ;)

MuzzC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 estate
Ever since I began driving (ahem, since 1967) I have always kept a record of my current cars mpg. It helped in the days of decoking. I have a 54 Avantguard C220 and my records show an average of 27 MPG. This is on a weekly route of approx 200 odd miles around the country roads, a bit of dual and a lot of start stop on my rounds. On individual longer runs I get up to 37 and that is at 80 most of the way, I do tend to "use" the car in a spirited way!

Muzz

chester

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Sport Coupe
Went to london from chester and back two weeks back.
Sat at 70mph on the way down via m6 and got 51 mph ,coming back took the m40 and sat at 70 mph again, managed 56 mph .
From my home to my destination was 210 miles going down and i think it was 225 coming back.
I drive a 220 and do find it can be rather hit and miss as i got 59 mpg going to york a few weeks back.
I was told outside temp can be a factor in mpg as the engine will use a richer mix on cold days.
Dont know if this is true but would explain why i got less going down to london as the weather was quite bad going down

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
commute about 35 miles each way daily which is 30 miles motorway and duel carriageway. I generally set the cruise at 70 and am averaging 50 mpg(51.4 comp) over the last 6 weeks and it has been cold. The best run was showing 60.1 on the comp but the temp was about 10. And the worse is showing 48 on the comp but at around 0 degrees. Mines an auto cdi 200 be with only 10000 mile so hoping it will improve.

mb.newbie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
01 c220cdi&02 c220cdi coupe&02 smart cdi & a trailer to tow it behind My 03 audi a4 1,9tdi quattro
mpg

on My way from Hull to Swindon on the off motorway option route due to auto gearbox issue on My newly purchased 2001 c220cdi I was going on a46 dual carriageway for over 20 miles so I reset trip computer put cruise control to 60mph and after 20 miles mpg was 63,7

Last edited:

B king

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003 cdi(gone) / E350 Sport/ C63 (sons)/GLC daughter
when your on the motorway....drop in behind a big box wagon...especially a foreigner cruising at 60.......you barely have to touch the throttle...and can watch the mpg increase..

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
my current best, and making reasonable progress at the same time! no cheating by following HGV's or resetting the computer when the engine was up to temp either!!!

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
when your on the motorway....drop in behind a big box wagon...especially a foreigner cruising at 60.......you barely have to touch the throttle...and can watch the mpg increase..

Brill. How close do you have to get??

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Dangerously. But you save a few quid.
Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom