C220 CDI starting problems....when warm..

slimandylincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W Reg C220 CDI Estate (The Lady of the House's Car) Subaru Forester 2.0 XT converted to LPG
Hi I have a 2000yr c220 CDI it has just developed a fault whereas it does not start when the engine is warm....leave it 20-30 mins and it will start. The engine turns over but does not fire... I have checked the 0 ring on the common rail thats fine, changed fuel filter (because I had one in the garage for the last 2 years).

Does this sound like the crank speed sensor I have read about on here?

Cheers
Andy

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes, it does.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Alexander above £47 from Bosch service center or £87 from MB

They measure 1k ohms when good and near open circuit when hot and faulty

OP
S

slimandylincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W Reg C220 CDI Estate (The Lady of the House's Car) Subaru Forester 2.0 XT converted to LPG
Where do I find the position sensor and how do I go about changing it?

Thanks
Andy

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
before we all jump at cranks sensor (normally on v engines), it could be fuel pressure (injector, wrong fuel etc?) just a thought.

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
As Alexander above £47 from Bosch service center or £87 from MB

They measure 1k ohms when good and near open circuit when hot and faulty
or £41 from ECP . doable yourself if you are patient and good with cars generally. Just done mine (on a V6)

OP
S

slimandylincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, I have changed the sensor and it has not cured my problem. The car starts fine 1st then when you have reached normal running temperature, and stop you can start the car for 5 mins after stopping it, any longer and it will not start for 30 mins, then all of a suddern it will start again. During the period of not starting the engine turns but does not fire. you can keep trying it and it will not start, but after an amount of time has elapsed it starts as normal. Strange really. Any ideas......

I also have a new CPS for sale.......as its not required...

Thanks for the previous advice... the CPS is easy to swop when you have thin forearms like myself..

Cheers
Andy

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
Hi, I have changed the sensor and it has not cured my problem. The car starts fine 1st then when you have reached normal running temperature, and stop you can start the car for 5 mins after stopping it, any longer and it will not start for 30 mins, then all of a suddern it will start again. During the period of not starting the engine turns but does not fire. you can keep trying it and it will not start, but after an amount of time has elapsed it starts as normal. Strange really. Any ideas......

Thanks for the previous advice... the CPS is easy to swop when you have thin forearms like myself..

Cheers
Andy

It sounds fuel related, be it injector, pump, pressure sensor etc.
Needs someone good to look at it for you so you dont waste more money

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is only the 2nd time that this has happened out of hundreds,,It sounds the same as Petes car that we were talking bout today,,possibly the CPS,,in some cases even STAR will not pick this up

OP
S

slimandylincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can anybody suggest somewhere sensible to take the car (I am in the North East Lincolnshire Area). I am not into main dealers, they tend to frighten me....Will be glad to get this sorted as its the other half's car and she's been giving me hell, that its not sorted yet....

Just to add the car drives fine when you get it started, today I used it to tow my trailer with 3/4 ton in it, pulls and accelerates like a train.....

At least my Subaru is not as tempermental...lol
Cheers
Andy

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
This is only the 2nd time that this has happened out of hundreds,,It sounds the same as Petes car that we were talking bout today,,possibly the CPS,,in some cases even STAR will not pick this up

later on when mine started, it was showing the symptoms of a pressure regulating valve being faulty. i suppose the fuel will be thinner when its warm and as a result will flow through a faulty pressure relief valve more easily when hot (when it shouldnt be flowing through it at all) than when the fuel is cooler and thicker

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)

Cheers
Andy

Unfortunately this also shows the cost of guessing, I would have thought if you had a diagnostic check done 1st, it would have saved you money and resolved the problem straightaway. Just a thought.

mercslk11

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a 2003 320cdi starts ok when cold, but then once you stop it will turn over but wont start, after switching the ignition on about 10 times (but not actually cranking it )each time until the glow light goes out it then starts.
Mbtech warrington how much would it cost to look at it

seancah1

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2003
Hi I have the exact same problem

My car is an e320 cdi 2003 and it's doing exactly what you are describing. What was the cause of your problem in the end? I've checked the injectors and they're fine. Thanks.

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
My W203 2002 was doing exactly the same.
Star in Reading did a "leak off" test and put it on the diagnostic star machine and found that an injector was returning too much fuel.
This also seemed to drain the opposite side of the tank of fuel which led to fuel starvation as well.

Before going to Star in Reading (for front struts to be done actually), a good indie, the dealers fleeced me for new gubbins for the fuel tank which did not sort the problem. Gutted and several hundred quid lighter.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom