C220 CDI W202 Headlight inners loose

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDI Yr2000 w202 engine 611960 (OM611)
Hi,
I replaced my drivers side headlight after a bump, with a second hand one (although it looked like new) I had it lined up at a garage but I keep getting flashed at night as it was aiming a bit to high so I tried lowering it with the vacuum headlight adjustment inside the car but I noticed that compared to the nearside one it hardly moved. I took off the cover at the back of the light and the bulb assembly was loose compared to the nearside which was solid so I surmise that whatever holds ths reflector and bulb housing in place has come adrift. Has anyone any idea how to rectify this or is it to be blunt knackered.
Any help will be appreciated.:neutral:

Last edited:

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
Theres a plastic ball joint that has come off,i think its been adjusted to far one way and popped it off,you may need the light out to secure it.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I agree with the previous poster, that the ball joint securing the reflector has come off, you will need to remove the headlight, then the glass lense by removing the metal clips around the outside of the glass, you then need to remove the headlight vacuum levelling unit (the unit where the vacuum pipe attaches on the headlight) this unit should have the ball joint attached, and it needs to be re-attached to the back of the reflector, you need to hold the reflector whilst pushing on the ball joint and it should just be snap fit back into place.

OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys,
I was going to have a go at that today Fri but again we've had thunderstorms most of the day hpefully I'll get a chance on Saturday or Sunday, I'll keep you informed.
All the best.
Mick:)

OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W202 Headlight inners loose now one main beam out

Hi all,
I have just taken out the headlight (first day without rain) and followed your instructions and you were dead on the ball was out of the socket so I took off the glass and put it back in the socket and re-assembled it. I'll test it when its dark as I haven't got a wall positioned that I can check it on. BUT on checking the lights were all working I noticed that the left hand main beam (nearside) wasn't working (it was the offside light I had just fixed so I don't think it is anything that I have disturbed) I swoppped the main beam bulbs over and the nearside was still out, I checked fuses 33 & 34 (main beam left & right) and still no luck has anyone any idea where I should look next. Oh I forgot to say that the bulb malfunction light on th instrument panel isn't lit and it does work because I had to replace a stop light bulb last week and it came on then.
Thank you all for the help you have given me so far.
All the best.:confused:

Last edited:
OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all.
Got it sorted. I took out the fusebox but thought I start prodding about I would check if there was voltage at the socket (although I'd swopped over the 2 front main beam bulbs and the same one was still out), I probed the back of the socket first and there was voltage there I then noticed that when you push the bulb in there are 2 clips on the side of the plug which clamp the side of the bulb housing when you push in the bulb and they were tarnished and one was black at the connecting point as if it had flashed over so I got a very small flat file and polished them up and tried it again and all back to normal 2 main beams working and after unning it a few miles the headlight vacuum level adjuster is working as normal again so that's another job done only 5 to go.:rolleyes:
Again thanks as always for your help

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is odd how electric faults can move around the car,you are working one end and another fault comes up at the other.

Ronnie P

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2003 2.2 DIESEL
I agree with the previous poster, that the ball joint securing the reflector has come off, you will need to remove the headlight, then the glass lense by removing the metal clips around the outside of the glass, you then need to remove the headlight vacuum levelling unit (the unit where the vacuum pipe attaches on the headlight) this unit should have the ball joint attached, and it needs to be re-attached to the back of the reflector, you need to hold the reflector whilst pushing on the ball joint and it should just be snap fit back into place.

Hi, I have a similar problem on my C220 2003 Coupe. Can you give me advice on headlamp assy removal.
Regards, Ron

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom