1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C220 CDI W204 Coolant temp 80 degrees?

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by domwild, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. domwild

domwild Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI W204
    Hi,

As a new thermostat has 92 degrees stamped onto it and it seems to be a common failing of this particular model, I am wondering if I should change the thermostat as it does not seem to be closing properly.

Not that I am too worried about fuel consumption, which on a cooler engine is just a little bit higher this forum tells me. Is there anything else I should be worried about if the engine runs below specification?

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Oil life can be shorter as the condensate which would normally evaporate off will stay in solution with the oil.

domwild likes this.
  3. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    Unless you are desperately short of money or running the car into the ground you should change a failed/ing thermostat ....it's not an expensive job .

silestanix and domwild like this.
  4. OP
    domwild

domwild Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI W204
    Thanks for help.
    Thanks for help. Have ordered one, it is a Mahle one (Made in Germany) via Fleabay. Bought a Torx set (female sockets) for the repair.

This car, which I bought second-hand, had always been repaired at Mercedes places, but I cannot find that thermostat repair as a recommendation on the last two service invoices. One would think the slow rise of the temperature during the obligatory test drive should have been noticed?

Wighty likes this.
  5. mercedes13156

mercedes13156 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
    If it's been noticed at the last two services, it's time to do it now. It doesn't really matter which make of thermostat you use. They'll all fail eventually, especially the ones you buy from the dealers. It's just pot luck whether you get one which lasts for a year or forever. You'll also need a short extension to get at the three little bolts, and don't wind them in too tight when you're done.

domwild likes this.