C220 CDI W204 Coolant temp 80 degrees?

domwild

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W204
Hi,

As a new thermostat has 92 degrees stamped onto it and it seems to be a common failing of this particular model, I am wondering if I should change the thermostat as it does not seem to be closing properly.

Not that I am too worried about fuel consumption, which on a cooler engine is just a little bit higher this forum tells me. Is there anything else I should be worried about if the engine runs below specification?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Oil life can be shorter as the condensate which would normally evaporate off will stay in solution with the oil.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Unless you are desperately short of money or running the car into the ground you should change a failed/ing thermostat ....it's not an expensive job .

OP
D

domwild

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W204
Thanks for help.
Unless you are desperately short of money or running the car into the ground you should change a failed/ing thermostat ....it's not an expensive job .
Thanks for help. Have ordered one, it is a Mahle one (Made in Germany) via Fleabay. Bought a Torx set (female sockets) for the repair.

This car, which I bought second-hand, had always been repaired at Mercedes places, but I cannot find that thermostat repair as a recommendation on the last two service invoices. One would think the slow rise of the temperature during the obligatory test drive should have been noticed?

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
If it's been noticed at the last two services, it's time to do it now. It doesn't really matter which make of thermostat you use. They'll all fail eventually, especially the ones you buy from the dealers. It's just pot luck whether you get one which lasts for a year or forever. You'll also need a short extension to get at the three little bolts, and don't wind them in too tight when you're done.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom