C220 cdi - what problems/issues do i need to look out for?

lauzie_b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI coupe, VW Golf GT TDI 150
Hi guys

I've just bought a C220 coupe CDI 53 plate with 20k on the clock, fmbsh etc

I love the look of mercs and have done for years with my dad owning a cl55amg and clk230 so decided to join the club.

However, I know nothing about the engines and what possible problems i may need to keep an eye out for

Also if anyone can give me an idea of tuning for the engine, where to get done, if its worth it etc that would be great, as I have a feeling its going to be a bit slower than my remapped GT TDI 150 vw golf i had.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That engine goes well and do you really need to re map it with the extra load on the box

OP
L

lauzie_b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That engine goes well and do you really need to re map it with the extra load on the box

Well thats just what I'm wondering. Having not owned an auto box, i'm questioning how strong they are if i did want to upgrade the power? and if i could get good gains out of it? I'm sure the car doesnt need it, but I know its not as powerful as the car I had and I'm wondering how much i may notice the difference?

Car doesnt arrive for a couple of weeks which is frustrating, i'm dying to drive it!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
S-A-M one of our good techies has just done the mod on his 200cdi and taken it up to the 220 level.
Now the 200 and the 220 use the same torque converter, once you get to the 270, then a different one is used,, and this is the stumbling block for many owner, do you do it or not ?

I suppose in the long run it depends on how you are going to drive it,having the extra power there for the odd burst, or racing it around all of the time

OP
L

lauzie_b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S-A-M one of our good techies has just done the mod on his 200cdi and taken it up to the 220 level.
Now the 200 and the 220 use the same torque converter, once you get to the 270, then a different one is used,, and this is the stumbling block for many owner, do you do it or not ?

I suppose in the long run it depends on how you are going to drive it,having the extra power there for the odd burst, or racing it around all of the time

Thats interesting to read, thank you for your information.

Realistically, the extra power would be mainly for the odd burst for me. I do 25miles each way to work at the moment on 50mph roads and my other half describes my driving to and from work as miss daisy driving. I want to have good fuel economy for my day to day driving, but for weekends i do enjoy a little burst now and again

OP
L

lauzie_b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
wel i'm a few pages in so far. definitely an interesting read

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom