C220 fuel pump

torquewrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C220 1995 Elegance 100k
I have recently been having problems with initial starting, the car showed all of the symptoms of air in the fuel system. I have replaced a few parts but the problem returned, I decided to take the car to have a diagnostic, I was then informed that the fuel pump is faulty and needs to be replaced. This pump has not covered 12K and was only replaced in March 2008.

I contacted the Mercedes dealership as the pump is still under warranty, I was informed that if the pump is faulty it will be replaced, but they informed me that the vehicle will have to be put on their diagnostic equipment for two hours, at a charge of £105.40 plus vat per hour. my question is should it take that long for the fault codes to be read. Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can read the fault codes in 4 mins flat, and I have only had STAR for a week,,I could spend an hour looking,,but the answer would be the same

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hello wrench, is this a diesel or petrol? presumably the 604 diesel with the epic rotary pump. if you have already paid for diagnostic tests at another garage, have a word with them to see if they will guarantee their findings as presumably MB will not charge you the £250 if they find the pump at fault? air in the fuel though is more likely to be linked to fuel pipes on these cars, is the pump leaking from its body?

on the point of 2hrs to read fault codes, no, of course it does not take that long. but then neither will fault codes be any help diagnosing the problem. obviously we cannot be entirely sure exactly what was said to you, but could they have been saying upto 2hrs to diagnose? that is quite possible.

OP
torquewrench

torquewrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hello wrench, is this a diesel or petrol? presumably the 604 diesel with the epic rotary pump. if you have already paid for diagnostic tests at another garage, have a word with them to see if they will guarantee their findings as presumably MB will not charge you the £250 if they find the pump at fault? air in the fuel though is more likely to be linked to fuel pipes on these cars, is the pump leaking from its body?

on the point of 2hrs to read fault codes, no, of course it does not take that long. but then neither will fault codes be any help diagnosing the problem. obviously we cannot be entirely sure exactly what was said to you, but could they have been saying upto 2hrs to diagnose? that is quite possible.

Thanks for the reply, and yes it is a diesel, and it does have the epic rotary pump. I have checked the pump body for fuel leaks and all seems well. the car is presenting all the same characteristics as it did when the first pump failed. Thanks for the advise I did not think of asking if they could guarantee their findings. I am a bit miffed that it has only done 12k. The only problems I have had with this car has been fuel related, apart from that it has been a good car.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yup, great cars (if a little slow) marred by a very poor injection system. can you see air circulating in the plastic pipes when you have starting trouble? to confirm you could try filling the tank to the top and parking facing down a steep incline - you should find it starts fine.

OP
torquewrench

torquewrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yup, great cars (if a little slow) marred by a very poor injection system. can you see air circulating in the plastic pipes when you have starting trouble? to confirm you could try filling the tank to the top and parking facing down a steep incline - you should find it starts fine.

I have replaced the fuel filter, and the two pipes that run from the fuel filter assembly to the pump, the car did seem better to start, then it reverted back to square one. It has gone into limp mode a couple of times that is why I decided to have the fault codes read. Thanks for the replies, I will just have to wait and see what the dealers say.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom