c220 starting

bob gray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a160 2010 c220 coupe 04
Hi Guys,
I have a 04 c220 cdi coupe automatic, and I had to call out the AA last night as the car would not start, just nothing on the turn of the key, tried her in P and N no response, no audable clicks, AA man said it was probably the inhibitor switch.
He fed the starter motor from his battery pack and she turned over but would not start ( ignition was on ). We were towed to home late last night.
GIrlfriend went out this morning and she started first time !
Is it best to get a diagnostic plug in at a main dealer or is it the starter motor on its way out ie when the engine is hot, I know there are many things it can be , is there a common fault on this car shes done only 47k any advice welcome from you experienced guys .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Did you have the dash lights up when you turned the key

OP
B

bob gray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a160 2010 c220 coupe 04
Hi Malcolm,
Yes all the dash lights came on as normal, no malfunction showed on the screen either

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a feeling that the EIS ignition switch could be failing, could it be the front SAM. maybe an earth strap.
It could be worth having the car plugged into STAR to see if a fault code has been logged

OP
B

bob gray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a160 2010 c220 coupe 04
what I dont understand is that the ignition was on all lights up as normal with the starter cranking the engine she still did not fire up does this help locate the problem, is ther some immobiliser switch in the circuit somewher ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK you say that the engine is cranking,,so that takes the ignition switch out of the equation.

So now we are left with a question impossible to answer as to why it did not fire up,,once again Star should say what happened

OP
B

bob gray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a160 2010 c220 coupe 04
Maybe I have not made it clear, when the AA man attached his battery pack and cranked the engine she would not fire up with the ignition on,I suppose it could be the ignition switch, as he has bypassed some of the starting circuits ? in attaching a power source direct to the starter motor. It still leaves a few areas where a potential fault could be,Incidently the girlfriend has been using the car all day with no reoccurance of the problem.The main dealer has said the fault may not necessary be logged on the cars system.
The main dealer also informed me that as we bought and have had the car serviced by Mercedes we have a 30 year European wide breakdown recovery service which includes a mobile diagnostic readout, so I think I shall run the car untill / if the fault reappears and call out this "free " service .I shall also cancell the AA as both our cars are Mercs, Thanks fior your time and input Malcom much appreciated

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the future do not let anyone use a jumping pack on the 203 very serious damage can take place due to rough spikey outputs from these things.

At the worst I still think that it could turn out to be the ignitions switch as it is one of the only things that can behave like this,,good luck and i hope that it keeps going

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
could equally be missing a can message from the gearbox module, or a faulty gear stick module. but my top money is on the front sam.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
could equally be missing a can message from the gearbox module, or a faulty gear stick module. but my top money is on the front sam.

Yes and why not,,,this is something we got some years back on the early examples,,my thought were with the guy that has to warm the ign switch up

OP
B

bob gray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a160 2010 c220 coupe 04
Well it happened again last Saturday, she failed to start , we had to leave the car overnight at the breakdown location because ther was no diagnostic van available to come out , needless to say when he turned the key the next day she fired up, after several starts she failed to start and I noticed that the coil heating symbol was not alight on the dash, several attempts later the coil heating lamp came on and she started. We done many starts and she would not start if this lamp did not come on.
She is now with Merc in Hertford who have put her on the diagnostics and it appears to be the ECU, with a repair bill of £1200.00
Just thought I`d update you guys, is this a common fault with this car, should we look to sell ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How much is the part Bob and what is the labour cost,,it does seem to be excessive

OP
B

bob gray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a160 2010 c220 coupe 04
hi Malcolm
£850.00 + VAT for the part, £210 + VAT labour, we do have a warrenty scheme ( not Merc ) and they are negotiating with Merc

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi Malcolm
£850.00 + VAT for the part, £210 + VAT labour, we do have a warrenty scheme ( not Merc ) and they are negotiating with Merc

Not too bad then I would keep the car,,the odd things can happen with anything,,and it would cost you more to change it

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom