C240 Air Con

JemDawe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, E240
Have a problem with air con on my 1998 C240 sport that i bought a few months ago. I had it recharged a month ago and at the time it only worked without the EC button depressed. Tried using it for the first time last week and the air con has stopped working again. Any suggestions appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Did they do a leak test

OP
J

JemDawe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, E240
I'm guessing not. When I went to pick the car up, the mechanic was confused as he'd re-gassed and it was not cooling with the EC button 'on'. When I was there, he turned it off and it then cooled. I assumed all was ok and didn't use it for the next month.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes the EC lamp must not be on to make the AC work.

If it has stopped after you had it re charged, then it is 95% sure that you have a leak. most firms do a leak test now as standard

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
On my C class C43 (with climate control with digital display) when the EC light is on the A/C is off, EC light off, A/C is on, some versions of this system do require a reset in the control/display unit of the car, but as yours has been working since recharge I would say this is,nt your problem but maybe of note to future viewers of this thread.

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
Id say you have a leak in the condenser....get it checked out

OP
J

JemDawe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, E240
Thanks for the advice. Have booked it in for a proper aircon service.

gsk

Reaction score
C240 aircon

I have the same model and year as you and my aircon has just packed up after having it regassed twice . Now been diagnosed as the condenser. Costing me £175 to fix

alffa164

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 Sport
Hi, i just got a 1998 C240 Sport (manual transmision) and i did have problems with the A/C. When i bought it the guy told me the A/C wasnt coolingvery cold, in fact... it wasnt cooling at all.

I just took it yesterday to an A/C workshop and they discovered two leaks and they were extremely easy to fix. The experience this guy has made him discover the leaks in less than 1 minute and he told me:

" This model of MB has problems with the O-rings in the freon gas line, specially in the one that goes from the refuelling valve on top to the compressor and the other one is the located on the tube that goes from the compressor to the condenser"

He took out both of the tubes and the o-rings were really really bad, so he changed them with some VW o-ring he had lying around and problem solved (leaks).

Then he charged the 134A freon gas and i turned on the car, then the A/c at full power and the compressor started doing a funy noise... tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac.... so this means i need a new compressor.

If anyone has any idea where can i get a not too expensive one i will highly appreciate it!

By the way... if the EC button is turned on, it means the "EConomy" function is one which disables the cooling and drying of the air hence delivering only blown air without cooling it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A breaker must be the best place to go as they are expensive things do ask Rob Parker a member here if he has one.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom