C240 Esprit Suspension dilema, please help

rumbo76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 sport auto
okay so here's my problem, i have a C240 Esprit 1999 and the owner before me had a LPG system installed (professionally) but did not address the issue of the extra weight on the rear axle, she is sitting very low at the rear. now correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the Esprit come with lower suspension as standard? (as opposed to standard C class) my idea would be to fit standard C class springs on the rear which i presume would be longer but after speaking to a guy in the parts department at my local Merc dealers he said there are so many variations of springs that he would be unable to help. i did however get the part number for the current fitted springs, A1703240004. quite simply i want a spring that is about 30mm longer than the ones i have. any help or advice would be appreciated. :confused:

OP
rumbo76

rumbo76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 sport auto
thanks for the info i'll give them a call in the morning.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I would bet that a set of springs for the estate version of your car[ the non self-leveling type] would probably fit the bill?

OP
rumbo76

rumbo76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 sport auto
I would bet that a set of springs for the estate version of your car[ the non self-leveling type] would probably fit the bill?

that was my original thought, i need to try and get hold of the technical data, spring lenghth, diameter etc

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
the number I have for the ESTATE esprit version is A2103243104/959
SEE

http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/part__1_1_45H_202_088_/32_120

A210******* looks to come from the larger E CLASS car whereas the the A170******** SPRING ORIGINATES FROM THE MUCH LIGHTER SLK SPORTS CAR! ps don't confuse spring rating with height. A spring with a lighter weight rating will simply compress more despite its original height. Higher rated springs won't compress under load so much--- they may have a similar unladen " height" but will have slightly larger diameter cross sectional wire or a few more coils longer. [ a coil spring is essentially a long torsion bar that's being twisted along its length - its just formed into a coil shape for compactness!

Last edited:
OP
rumbo76

rumbo76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C240 sport auto
great info, thanks. so do you think i could fit the estate spring on my car?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
As long as its not self levelling which uses different springs and suspension arms should be OK. I wonder if the the existing springs you have with the car are even the correct? Can't be 100% certain but if ordering MB ones you could get the parts guys to cross check the spring suspension arm part nos? If they are the same you can be pretty certain.

Top Bottom