C250 diesel injector woes!! Help Please!

lone

Reaction score
Hi folks - my first post!!

I have had my c250 diesel estate for a few months - lovely car..should have got one many moons ago.

The other day I noticed some diesel on the floor and smelt it whilst driving...got home took the plastic moulding off to inspect where it was coming from...thought it was the over-flow pipes...as all the 'wells' were flooded with diesel. Replaced all the pipes....thinking the job was done....a few hours later the same ..smell of horrible diesel in the car!! As I had left the moulding off it was easy this time.

I let the engine run for a while and using a torch realised that no 1 and no 3 injectors were slowly realeasing diesel out into the wells.

No problem...I thought ...quick fix...just get some injector seats from the dealer and replace!! Well, would you believe the main dealer had only four in stock!! Silly when you consider the engines are five cylinder (£1.25 surely they could keep a few in stock??)

My problem is that how do I get the injectors out? I even cut a 22mm socket and welded a tube on it to get to it but no luck!!

Spoke to a few mechanics...they all swear there is a tool...but none have it...and others have said they remove the rocker cover!! Removing the rocker cover is an option that I do not really want to go done as I have no oil leaks and would like to keep the engine bay that way.

Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction please as I am worried that I may do damage to the engine whilst driving it as is.

All help will be appreciated.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Tool listed on ebay item No 370126144793 £125. Also shows how to use. Just looked under MB tools and about 225 items listed so maybe cheaper one there somewhere. Also noticed auto gearbox dipstick tool for under £10, quite a saving.

OP
L

lone

Reaction score
Nick

Thanks for your suggestion ....I did want to buy the tool for a one off!!

Can't believe that no one has encountered this problem before....so many views but only one suggestion!!

Once again, thanks for your time.

Lone

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Is this an OM605 engine?

If so, I would look really carefully at the leak off pipes, and leave the injectors in place.

Yes, you've put new pipes on - but, if there's any damage at all on the barbs on the injectors, they will leak - if the pipe is just a bit sloppy in its fit, they will leak. The fuel runs down the injectors and it's difficult to see where it's actually coming from.

The other possibility, even higher up the injector is a fatigue failure of the metal injector pipe. Are the plastic clips all in good condition, and properly fitted to prevent the metal pipes vibrating. [If I were a gambling man, I know which way I would place my bet! - the clips are rather fragile and don't last long].

If the metal injector pipes have cracked near the fitting, then, you'll need new ones. Sorry - they're not cheap.

If the seals at the base of the injector have failed, the one thing you wouldn't see leaking from there is diesel.

jamesleigh

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi clk320 cab vito 115 sprinter 315 cdi b180cdi a150cdi
u can get the socket from maccess motor trade cash carry store i got mine there very cheap tool if u want to remove them i dont think they ever leak but pipes can dont overtighten them www.jamesleighservices.com

OP
L

lone

Reaction score
Thanks Guys - the leaks have seemed to have stopped!! I think it was the over-flow pipes...used generic as a replacement! Will get some genuine mercedes tomorrow and replace.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
they will be on a roll, exactly as the generic pipes are. id leave them. do make sure you replace the rubber blanking bung on no5 injector

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom