C250 Elegance Turbo Diesel

Topkat

Reaction score
Hey my dad bought a C250 Turbo Diesel recently, but the car has NO power. Acceleration is soooo slow and the top speed is a joke! It'll only go passed 75mph if you're going down hill.

What could it be the problem? Any ideas?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
what year is the car and is it automatic or manual please?

OP
T

Topkat

Reaction score
Hey,

It's auto and the year is 1998. It's only done around 90k miles...

Any ideas what it could be?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
there are a number of things it COULD be. it could have air in the fuel (from a leaking o ring or similar-a common problem) it could have a split in a boost hose, egr valve faulty, bad fuel, etc. does the car start easily? does it smoke when revved hard? are there any unusual noises (hissing, whistling etc) when its revved? also nea the injector pump there are a number of clear plastic pipes. can you see air in any of them, either when switched off or when running?

OP
T

Topkat

Reaction score
Hey,

Yeah the car starts easily. There is no smoke when revved hard. I do remember a small hissing sound coming from the dash near the steering wheel when the engine is running and I wondered what it was.

The engine sounds REALLY nice and it does drive smooth, it just has a big lack of power.

Thanks for the very helpful tips mate!

simon_wall69

Reaction score
Check the easy things first: fuel lines and filters. Air in the fuel lines is a very common problem and cheap to fix and free to check. There are lots of relevant posts you can search for.

If the engine sounds fine then it's probably not an issue with poor compression or injector spray.

Is he running it on diesel, by the way?

OP
T

Topkat

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure he didn't put petrol inside, the car would run rough on petrol, but the engine sounds really nice and smooth.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

paulbrook

Reaction score
Website
www.rustytrucks.com
Your Mercedes
1998 W202 C250TD
Sorry - forgot to add it is on page 3 of the thread entitled "C250 TD top speed 80mph?". I am not saying it will be the problem but it is well worth checking first and a doddle to put right!

OP
T

Topkat

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the help!

After reading the thread "C250 TD top speed 80mph?", I solved the problem! The MAP sensor cable wasn't plugged in. I found the cable under the water unit. I plugged it in and didn't see any difference until I drove it a few miles... now it has proper turbo power!!! Vrooom vrooooom! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 24

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hey thanks for all the help!

After reading the thread "C250 TD top speed 80mph?", I solved the problem! The MAP sensor cable wasn't plugged in. I found the cable under the water unit. I plugged it in and didn't see any difference until I drove it a few miles... now it has proper turbo power!!! Vrooom vrooooom! :D

A very nice post today and thank you

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom