c250 removal of steering wheel

eoin250

Reaction score
Hey guys,

kinda new to the mercedes motoring. But loving it at the same time..
One problem, I have a c250 diesel 1995, 5 cylinder non turbo.
smoke started to appear from the indicator stalk one day. So I purchased a new stalk. But for my life I cannot remove the steering wheel to put the new item i place......
It has an airbag...
Any help would be grateful,
Cheers....

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
you need to unscrew the airbag first, with a long shaft tx30 torx bit, the screws are recessed in holes behind the wheel. then you will see a 10mm socket headed bolt that holds the steering wheel on to the column.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Make sure you discoonect the battery when disconnecting the airbag, because if the ignition is turned on with the airbag disconnected it will log a fault and leave the SRS light on only being extinguished when plugged into a STAR diagnostic computer.
If your steering wheel has never been removed the airbag Torx screws are very vey tight and easily rounded off as i found out so do ensure you use the coorect sized Torx bit.

OP
E

eoin250

Reaction score
Cheers lads, Any of ye notice the air recirculation button not working from time to time.
And when it doesnt work there is a constant stream of hot air passing through the car. I notice that if I fiddle with the wires behind the switch it works sometimes..
Ever heard of the likes...?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Perhaps the switches or connectors need cleaning

OP
E

eoin250

Reaction score
Maybe, I'll spend tomorrow sorting everything out.... I'll let ye's know how I got on, thanks again everyone....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe, I'll spend tomorrow sorting everything out.... I'll let ye's know how I got on, thanks again everyone....

If you need any special instructions please ask I may be able to help

OP
E

eoin250

Reaction score
Got the steering wheel off today, think I got a faulty stalk. On intermittant the wiper just moves very slow and does not return to original position when wiper switch is turned off.... Saw a bit of white smoke also not good....
Getting a bit sick of the whole thing...
Any ideas...

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Just trying to be clear as regards removal of the Steering Wheel on my W140.

I've read differing comments as to Torx head needed for air bag - some say 28mm and another says 30mm. Reading that one owner had difficulties and rounded the slot does it vary according to which car or was the wrong head used?

Never like disconnecting the battery and don't see why I'd need to switch on ignition so is it really necessary?

Isn't it a Hex bolt and not a 10mm socket as suggested in one thread? Finally I believe there is an obvious slot in the Wheel to be able to align Wheel correctly to the spindle or am I wrong?

Thanks

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Got the steering wheel off today, think I got a faulty stalk. On intermittant the wiper just moves very slow and does not return to original position when wiper switch is turned off.... Saw a bit of white smoke also not good....
Getting a bit sick of the whole thing...
Any ideas...

The c class has a history of wiper problems due to seizure of wiping arm.

The spindle that pushes the arm in and out needs to be regreased.

It can strip the teeth off the plastic gear wheel inside the mechanism.

Have you got the Haynes manual for the car ?

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Just trying to be clear as regards removal of the Steering Wheel on my W140.

I've read differing comments as to Torx head needed for air bag - some say 28mm and another says 30mm. Reading that one owner had difficulties and rounded the slot does it vary according to which car or was the wrong head used?

Never like disconnecting the battery and don't see why I'd need to switch on ignition so is it really necessary?

Isn't it a Hex bolt and not a 10mm socket as suggested in one thread? Finally I believe there is an obvious slot in the Wheel to be able to align Wheel correctly to the spindle or am I wrong?

Thanks

For my similar E320 coupe 1995 it is a T30 torx.

Mercedes instructions:

1. Ignition off

2. Battery negative terminal off.

3. Passenger footwell cover remove.

4. Red test coupling for airbag plug - disconnect.

Removed airbags should only be stored with cushion side upwards.

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
if the coupling is fine then check out the multi relay in the fuse box. the connection may need resoldering - this is a common W202 issue affecting either indicators and wipers as they are the same unit. there is a how to somewhere?

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
For my similar E320 coupe 1995 it is a T30 torx.

Mercedes instructions:

1. Ignition off
2. Battery negative terminal off.
3. Passenger footwell cover remove.
4. Red test coupling for airbag plug - disconnect.
Removed airbags should only be stored with cushion side upwards.

Thanks especially for note about airbag storage.
Re Torx, does the torx need a hollow end?
Seen passenger footwell removal on a thread with photos but don't understand why necessary? Steering is telescopic and only replacing wheel not cluster or indicator switch.
http://www.202tech.com/howto/steering.html (with thanks)

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
My torx does not require a hollow end.

There is a capacitor within the airbag system and holds a residual electrical charge.

The full proceedure for dealing with airbag, automatically puts a "shorting" link into the circuit to discharge the capacitor - is my understanding.

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
My torx does not require a hollow end.

There is a capacitor within the airbag system and holds a residual electrical charge.

The full proceedure for dealing with airbag, automatically puts a "shorting" link into the circuit to discharge the capacitor - is my understanding.

Not quite sure what you are saying - or how dangerous this suggests removal is? If ignition is not on, then no "shorting" can occur presumeably.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You must disconnect the battery Stuart, number one it is dangerous not to, you wait 20 mins for the caps to discharge.

If you unplug it and turn on the ignition, you will need STAR to turn off the SRS lamp

The torx for the airbag needs to be 2" long.

The nut on the wheel 10mm may be hard to undo, I had to use an air line wheel bolt tool on mine (impact) the wheel must be straight ahead as the splines are all equal I would mark it with a felt pen

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
You must disconnect the battery Stuart, number one it is dangerous not to, you wait 20 mins for the caps to discharge.

If you unplug it and turn on the ignition, you will need STAR to turn off the SRS lamp

The torx for the airbag needs to be 2" long.

The nut on the wheel 10mm may be hard to undo, I had to use an air line wheel bolt tool on mine (impact) the wheel must be straight ahead as the splines are all equal I would mark it with a felt pen

Thanks Malcolm for the advice. I have chickened out and decided to entrust the task to my local mechanic. He has a Compressed airgun which should remove the bolt. He will disconnect the battery and I'll mention the time delay recommendation.

Have attached a photo as this wheel suggests that it has alignment slots top and bottom to ensure accuracy of fitting. Having not seen the splines, maybe not?
(why do I always seem to change the s/wheel of the Mercs I buy?) Sadly the existing wheel has the leather surface abraided on the window side. Bought Car like this and its been nagging me.
Will be the only two tone S Class - Mushroom grey with Chestnut mushroom a/b.

Attachments

• WHEELBOSS.JPG
    WHEELBOSS.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 10

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I see what you mean, I think that the gap is equal to 1 tooth on the spline

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom