c270 CDi Fuel filter

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Hi guys,

Wanted to change my fuel filter (just routine) - 2002 C270 CDi...

I'm not very technical though, so can you tell me where to find it (!) and how easy it is to change? A job for the novice??

Is it simply a matter of taking the old one out and fitting a new one in its place, or is there anything else I need to be aware of??

(If it makes any difference I fitted one successfully using written instructions many years ago on a Golf TDI - but I know you can't compare cars)

Also, while I was there, would it be worth changing the ATF? Again is this straightforward?

I feel like I need a challenge!!

Thanks in advance.

:)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Fuel filter query..

The filter is 104 in the link

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=M&cat=21T&SID=07&SGR=120&SGN=03

Do fill it with diesel and make sure that it is air tight.

Re the box it is hardly worth doing it your self, the dip stick will cost you £35 and not an easy job laying under the car,,most indies will do it for under £150 and the fluid and filter cost near on£100

Hi, thanks..

Bur r u 100% sure its part 104? For instance, how do u know its not 116? So what would be the mercedes part number? My car is a 2002 c270 CDi auto...

Also, are there any websites which can confirm the correct part number and allow me to buy online?

Cheers in advance///:D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
trust us, its definately 104. unscrew the top and replace the element and sealing ring (128 & 134) i may be going blind, but icouldnt even find part 116! personally, id buy genuine rather than off the internet, aas you will probably save very little, if anything and cheap filters have been known to cause problems in the past.

a simple phone call to your local dealer, quote your VIN no to them and they will supply you with the correct part.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
trust us, its definately 104. unscrew the top and replace the element and sealing ring (128 & 134) i may be going blind, but icouldnt even find part 116! personally, id buy genuine rather than off the internet, aas you will probably save very little, if anything and cheap filters have been known to cause problems in the past.

a simple phone call to your local dealer, quote your VIN no to them and they will supply you with the correct part.

Great I'll do that tomorrow.

One last question, is it quite easy to fit? Any special tools (or for that matter, skills) needed??!! Do I need to have the car jacked up or can it be done on the flat direct from the bonnet? And do I need to get the element and sealing ring separately or will it be included as part of the filter unit?

Sorry for the silly questions..

Thanks in advance :D

PS number 116 appears in the second to last picture box - looks like a fuel filter if you ask me, but then again, what do I know?!!

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no theyre dead easy to do. my dad has a similar car but with the 220 cdi 4 cylinder engine. from memory (dad lives 50 miles away!) the hardest part (which isnt hard!) is taking the plastic covers off the top of the engine! remove the half dozen or so torx (star) bolts from the black and grey covers, lift he covers off, the filter housing should be easy to spot. carefully unclip the fuel pipes, unscrew the filter housing ring, remove top from housing, the rest is fairly obvious, ie remove old filter and seal and fit new ones. fill canister with clean diesel and reassemble filter housing pipes etc. i have done dads a couple of times now and not filled the filter canister. never had a problem, but not recommended. its ok when its a manual car, you can tow them if you flatten the battery. you cant tow an auto to start it! a w203 c class like yours, its never a good idea to jump start them

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
no theyre dead easy to do. my dad has a similar car but with the 220 cdi 4 cylinder engine. from memory (dad lives 50 miles away!) the hardest part (which isnt hard!) is taking the plastic covers off the top of the engine! remove the half dozen or so torx (star) bolts from the black and grey covers, lift he covers off, the filter housing should be easy to spot. carefully unclip the fuel pipes, unscrew the filter housing ring, remove top from housing, the rest is fairly obvious, ie remove old filter and seal and fit new ones. fill canister with clean diesel and reassemble filter housing pipes etc. i have done dads a couple of times now and not filled the filter canister. never had a problem, but not recommended. its ok when its a manual car, you can tow them if you flatten the battery. you cant tow an auto to start it! a w203 c class like yours, its never a good idea to jump start them

Sounds pretty easy then.. that'll be my challenge for the weekend ahead, assuming it doesn't rain..

BTW, did you manage to see/identify that number 116 I keep going on about?!! Just wondered what it was thats all! Cheers fot the fitting info.. I'll use it as a step-by-step when I do it..:)

:lol:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nope never looked again after id seen what 104 was to be honest. i wouldnt say its a step by step guide as im working from memory from the last service, and it seems to only want to be serviced every 20k miles or so! it should give you a better idea than no description at all of how to do it though!

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Guys need some help again..

Just got the fuel filter for my car from MB.

The part number is 6110920001

When I crosschecked it which the schematic diagram (russian website) that Malcolm mentioned - it corresponds to part 116 in the link, not 104..

...can someone just crosscheck to make sure I'm not going loopy...

Cheers

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Does it look like the one that's in there at the mo? Mrs E's C270 looks like 116. I think the early ones were a cartridge type, the later the cannister type.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Does it look like the one that's in there at the mo? Mrs E's C270 looks like 116. I think the early ones were a cartridge type, the later the cannister type.

To be honest, I haven't checked whats in there are the mo. But the MB guy used my VIN number to check for the part, if that herlps..

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Take the cover orf and have a looksee, that'll answer your question.

Good luck.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
To be honest, I haven't checked whats in there are the mo. But the MB guy used my VIN number to check for the part, if that herlps..

If the filter matches the VIN,then it will fit your car.
104 is not the filter,it's the filter bowl,into which the filter element,128 in the same diagram,fits.
If you had been given this,it would look like a corrugated paper tube with metal ends.

Quite different to 116,in the lower left diagram,which is a disposable canister,containing the filter element.
You take off what is on the engine,throw it away and replace it with what you bought.

There are notes at the bottom of the russian page referring to the VINs for each type.

Do you know anyone with mechanical skills?
No offence intended,but perhaps for the first time it might be helpful to have a little practical guidance.
Even the simplest of jobs can develop into a nightmare occasionally.

Regards,
Nick.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
If the filter matches the VIN,then it will fit your car.
104 is not the filter,it's the filter bowl,into which the filter element,128 in the same diagram,fits.
If you had been given this,it would look like a corrugated paper tube with metal ends.

Quite different to 116,in the lower left diagram,which is a disposable canister,containing the filter element.
You take off what is on the engine,throw it away and replace it with what you bought.

There are notes at the bottom of the russian page referring to the VINs for each type.

Do you know anyone with mechanical skills?
No offence intended,but perhaps for the first time it might be helpful to have a little practical guidance.
Even the simplest of jobs can develop into a nightmare occasionally.

Regards,
Nick.

I'll get an experienced mate to look over my shoulder in that case. Is it not simply a matter of taking one out and putting another one in?

Anything specific to be aware of? I believe you have to put a bit of diesel in the new filter...but any other rules?

Cheers for the advice mante..:)

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Is it not simply a matter of taking one out and putting another one in?

In theory,yes,very simple.
It's not so much that,as what to do next,if the car won't start or doesn't run properly.
I am entirely self taught,with the helpful advice of a variety of skilled mechanics over the years.
Years ago,I used to find bits left over at the end of a job and I never seemed to have the right tools when I needed them.
It doesn't happen so often now and I can usually identify any left overs.
Perhaps one of the best skills I have acquired is to know when a job is too much for me and it's time to call for help.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:
OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Hi guys,

Just to update..

I've taken the cover off and yes --- its part number 116 ie. the canister...

Now just a couple more questions...

1) I believe I have to put a bit of diesel in the filter before fitting it in, but how much?

2) Once fitted, is it OK to drive normally straight away, or do I need to give it time to "settle" first?

And finally...

3) Where is the air filter located?

Cheers in advance guys..

Top Bottom