C270 w203 not starting in freezing cold help!

Jasonmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003
Hi all new member here... I was after some advice I have issues that affect my c270 in the freezing weather only. When it's warm outside its starts like a dream. But as soon as the weather freezes it's a nightmare. I have done a leak off test on the injectors and they are all leaking off in the parameters, I have have changed I rings on the pressure regulator, still no difference. I have put in a new battery. I have put in all new fuel lines approx 4 years ago. Brand new O rings with the fuel lines. There are no air bubbles in the fuel lines. I have got a refurbished high pressure fuel pump a few years ago because my old one failed. To start it in the freezing weather I have to spray a bit of Easy start and crank it for about a minute ( must be killing my new battery). Please help?? Running out of ideas. Thanks Jason

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
When was last time you changed fuel filter.
Maybe it's worth it to change it

Last edited:
OP
J

Jasonmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry forgot to mention that I changed the fuel filter as well a couple of weeks ago.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Check the glo plugs as well. That motor if its getting fuel should start almost straight away.

OP
J

Jasonmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003
Hi denchen, have had a glow plug light on and switching off after a while just recently but the cold staring was there before the light started coming on and talking to a mate I heard that shouldn't affect it. I will try that as well.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The 270CDI should start easily without glow plugs, even in subzero temps.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
pressure test next i would guess but i really would strongly advise you to pop to an indy and have them check it over with star, could be something very simple and untill then we are all just guessing.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jasonmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003
Hi I was thinking about that but after its started in the morning the issue is gone until the next day when it freezes. Can the pressure test actually check the pressure Even though it works after it is warm? Because once it's started in the morning it starts fine consistently. What I am wondering is that will they actually be able to see the issue now that it starts ok and is probably building pressure correctly? Anyone know a good Indy in plymouth?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Mine can be iffy if left parked facing uphill. I understand low fuel level doesn't help either. These things point to fuel line seals problems which I note you said had been changed though.

IDUNCAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 clk 2.7D
intake manifold

Sounds like a choked up inlet manifold, does it crank over about 2 mins before starting, if so I'm afraid it could be that as I recently had same problem with same car and had to replace the inlet manifold

lee130

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220d 51 reg
Those o rings on the plastic fuel pipes & filter don't last four years. Does it start then stop after a few seconds then takes ages to crank ??? Try replacing all the o rings pennies from merc. There's four on the pump one at the fuel filter & there's one at the back of the fuel rail. Beware thoes pipe connections become brittle & can break very easily.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Sounds like a choked up inlet manifold,
I recently had same problem with same car and had to replace the inlet manifold
Hi
Did you see the old manifold ?
If so, what signs of choking did you see.

Lazmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270
Hi all new member here... I was after some advice I have issues that affect my c270 in the freezing weather only. When it's warm outside its starts like a dream. But as soon as the weather freezes it's a nightmare. I have done a leak off test on the injectors and they are all leaking off in the parameters, I have have changed I rings on the pressure regulator, still no difference. I have put in a new battery. I have put in all new fuel lines approx 4 years ago. Brand new O rings with the fuel lines. There are no air bubbles in the fuel lines. I have got a refurbished high pressure fuel pump a few years ago because my old one failed. To start it in the freezing weather I have to spray a bit of Easy start and crank it for about a minute ( must be killing my new battery). Please help?? Running out of ideas. Thanks Jason

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
when you say you did leak off test they were all ''in parameters'',, what were the actual results in ml's over what period of time and what were your parameters ?
Only asking as sounds like typical sign of worn injectors when cold weather causes problem starting and no problem starting when warm, also seen some very misguided posts of leak off tests

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom