c280 Windscreen wiper

J

jeremy26354

I went out this morning to pick the family up from the railway station and cleared the snow. The wipers worked first off but then, as I subsequently found out, snow had become compacted around the motor under the bonnet and the arm refused to work. Having cleared the snow the wiper motor can still be heard but the arm no longer wants to move; in fact I can move it manually and it still moves perfectly. I have come to the conclusion that the motor is not burned out but the wiper itself is no longer connected.

Any ideas please?

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I went out this morning to pick the family up from the railway station and cleared the snow. The wipers worked first off but then, as I subsequently found out, snow had become compacted around the motor under the bonnet and the arm refused to work. Having cleared the snow the wiper motor can still be heard but the arm no longer wants to move; in fact I can move it manually and it still moves perfectly. I have come to the conclusion that the motor is not burned out but the wiper itself is no longer connected.

Any ideas please?

Lift off the large cover and check that the large nut is not loose that connects to the motor

OP
J

jeremy26354

Lift off the large cover and check that the large nut is not loose that connects to the motor
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for the response. I have been puzzling how to remove the cover short of a hammer and a screwdriver. Have you any tips please? Thanks

Jeremy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is not that easy when the plastic is so cold, there is a lug under each corner clipping it on, perhaps dec know a good way of removing it, I just put my finger nails underneath and lift them off, but again it is so cold the plastic can be very brittle

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
There is no nut under the large cover, removing the cover won’t solve your problem. The 2 possible reasons why the wiper arm is not moving on the windscreen will require the removal of the trim at the bottom of the windscreen, there is a link on that... in that link you just quoted.

Regarding removal of the cover and for future reference, the links below shows how, the sliding mechanism under the cover should be greased twice per year using thick grease.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVhpeDLUHY&NR=1
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26200

Dec

Last edited:
OP
J

jeremy26354

This is not that easy when the plastic is so cold, there is a lug under each corner clipping it on, perhaps dec know a good way of removing it, I just put my finger nails underneath and lift them off, but again it is so cold the plastic can be very brittle
Thanks Malcolm; having tried applying alot of pressure to the wrong place I eventually tried the right place and it came off. I took the wiper arm off as well but sadly no nut to be seen. With light failing and a lack of the right tools I'll try again tomorrow to get the mechanism off to get to the motor beneath.

Jeremy

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom