C32 AMG clonk from front and brake judder

mingblus3

Reaction score
1st post here guy's, spent the last few years on Audisport and then BMW forums but now i've got myself a C32 and find myself here.

I noticed a clonk from the passenger side front turret when going over speed bumps and pot holes etc. I am keen to replace the parts but having read the forums it could be a number of things. While i'm replacing the parts mentioned below is there anything else on the front I should be considering, bearing in mind I don't want to spend too much. I'll do the work myself but not the disks.

2 x Anti Roll Bar bushes Euro Car
2 x Front Disks MB unless someone can suggest a good alternative to keep cost down.
2 x Suspension Arms Euro Car

Does anyone know the part numbers like i said it appears euro car parts can provide most of these but are the parts up to scratch. Disk's i will get from MB.

The car does not handle well either and when braking hard at speed the car kangaroos and twists and I also get the judder. There is a slight lip and the disks are a tad grooved so these will be replaced ASAP. Got any ideas on this one too.

I have to say I'm missing my E46 320D for it's feel and handling on the road.

Thanks in advance

S

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,, first you could ask your local trade suppliers of car påarts for prices.

I got Zimmerman disc from them at a saving of £100 on the MB price, and they are OE to MB. they will also sell TMD pads that are also OE to MB.

The bottom swivels are the main cause of clonking along with the roll bar bushes and links

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
Thank you Television. For the life of me I can't find any stockist of Zimmerman in Essex, I might not be looking hard enough.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where I live we have a trade motor factor called Parts co,in Exeter, I inquired with them as I deal with them, and they rang me back, and I ordered them,,they were in the next day

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
Replaced the front torque bar today with the ball joint and large oil filled bush N/S. Ended up threading the ****** nut on the ball joint so now I'm going to have to buy another N/S and then the O/S. They were out of stock on O/S so I only did the N/S I can't believe on the last wrench It just twisted round and would not lock up, It won't even come off so for now I've had to put another nut on the bottom which has made it nice and tight but I will need to change it again for peace of mind. Been an expensive day.

So far by just replacing the N/S it has made a good difference and the clonk has gone on that side, however the O/S is now much more noticable and there is still brake judder very unsettling which I going to leave until I get time this week to fit the O/S. I'm hoping this might cure it.

I also checked the tyre pressures today, I have the standard 17" AMG's and when I checked there was 36 PSI Front and 38 PSI backs. I never have any passengers or luggage so I've dropped it to 29 PSI Front 32 PSI Back can someone confirm if this is right. Even this has made it feel a bit more planted.

Andrew the springs looked fine and I did suspect that. Could an engine mounting have gone, I'm confident the discs are not warped and seem relatively new.

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Wait until you have finished replacing the knackered parts you have mentioned then take it from there.

Make sure its AMG bushes they are giving you as they are harder than normal C-class bushes.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Make sure its AMG bushes they are giving you as they are harder than normal C-class bushes.

Took the words right out of my mouth!! (Glad you were paying attention to my ramblings the other day!!)

I'm not aware of any aftermarket brake discs for the C32. That may have changed by now though... Genuine ones aren't too expensive - circa £75 +vat each. They are drilled, but not handed. In my experience the AMG handed discs (whether drilled or not) are considerably more expensive.

AndrewIles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 55 AMG
I've got a C32 estate also with standard 17" wheels.

Tyre pressures should be 30 psi at front and 33 psi at rear.

The tyre pressure chart is on the inside of the fuel flap.

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG

Is this true for thrust arms too?

I did try and see if the part numbers were different so that I could have upgraded mine when I had to replace them.
Must not have looked hard enough :(

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
I'm not happy at all. Now I've just started the car up for the 1st time since lowering from the jack and i have dash warning lights up.

BAS ABS and ESP. I have no ABS or Traction control. I had a quick look to check the sensors and all appear to be fine. Anyone got any ideas why this has caused the lights to come on. Any ideas on how to turn them off, or what do i need to replace now to fix this problem?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
If you have disconnected the battery, turn the steering lock to lock three times with engine running. If not, you may have accidentally damaged one of the wheel sensors or cables to the wheel sensors. Star machine next step in that case

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Actually the only lamp that should be on and that will clear on the lock to lock is the ESP lamp

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
So i've ordered the control arms as well and these will be fitted on Wednesday. I'm using Lemforder which I have been assured are suitable for the c32 AMG. Anyone used Lemforder and will these be good enough for the car? I don't want to waste money on parts that are no good, surely these will be better than the ones currently on the car that have covered 50K, even if they don't last as long.

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing wrong with them Simon they are a huge manufacture of these things

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
Malcolm,

I really appreciate your contributions on my thread. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Simon

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
So my friend who works for MB plugged his laptop into my car and it's showing the left speed sensor to be faulty. Hopefully I can get this part tomorrow and fix this at the same time.

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
I am finally pleased to report that it's now perfect. The drop links were fine but I changed them anyway, they were not a matching pair either. The lower suspension cotrol arm ball joints were shot to pieces, and also the rubber bush on one side, the torque arms also appeared to be okay but you never know so these have been done too. The car really does drive well now. Exactly what I expected. Next up is the tracking which I will get done on saturday and then save for a pair of new discs and pads.

It's been an expensive month so far, what with the intercooler pump going as well. But hopefully all worth it for peace of mind and safety.

Simon

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom