C320 ARB Bush and suspension arm replacement

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
It's a 2005 C320cdi, bushes on ARB are shot, so I'm intending to replace them. I'm also hoping to change the lower front suspension arms at the same time, as it looks like the roll bar needs to be out of the way to get the bolts out.
Has anyone done this job, got any tips? Apart from not using 'Q-drive' parts from ECP.....

lyserman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 W211
Get genuine Mercedes bushes for the ARB and be prepared for the bolts holding the bushes in place to shear as they corrode into the aluminium of the subframe.
I fitted aftermarket bushes and they creak and groan worse than me getting out of bed in the mornings.
Genuine bushes are only £10 a pair so I intend changing them again this weekend (lesson learned).
When you undo the suspension arm bolts do not turn the bolt, just in case they are the adjusting ones (grooves along the length) but not fitted from new.
Get a decent ball joint splitter if you don't already have one.
You have to undo the suspension strut from the wheel hub to remove the torque arm and it needs a 12mm allen key or socket for the top hub connection.
It is a fairly simple job for a keen DIY'er as long as you have the correct tools. 22mm open ended spanner is needed too.

Tony

Carl@MBS

<span style="color: red;">Authorised Forum Support
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
164 320 AMG & 211 320CDI
You will need the third generation bar the complete anti roll bar comes with bonded bushes and requires the later aluminium straps/clamps too. The bar is only £40-£50 so not dear.

lyserman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 W211
You will need the third generation bar the complete anti roll bar comes with bonded bushes and requires the later aluminium straps/clamps too. The bar is only £40-£50 so not dear.

Ah!
Bonded bushes to eliminate the creaking.
Any chance it can be retrofitted to an S203?

Tony

Carl@MBS

<span style="color: red;">Authorised Forum Support
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
164 320 AMG & 211 320CDI
Yeah all 203's coupes too just ask for the latest bar along with the correct straps/ mounts

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
Yeah all 203's coupes too just ask for the latest bar along with the correct straps/ mounts

is this a dealer only part? And this is the only option-change the whole bar? How much of a job is it to extricate it?

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I recently bought front ARB bushes from Eurocarparts. I don't see the need to buy a complete bar. The bushes were Lemforder. They are now fitted and they don't squeak. Unless your bar is very worn, I don't see the need to replace it.

Rear bushes appear to only be available from Mercedes. I changed them also. I think they were only about £6 each.

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
ECP are only listing ARB bushes from Q-Drive, which I'm not going to bother with after my recent experience with their suspension arm.
I've ordered the bar complete with bushes from MB-sixty something quid, so not so bad, but can anyone tell me if it's a driveway job to remove/replace? Not had chance to get underneath and have a look, so any guidance appreciated.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Easy job even on your drive way, just try to get some WD40 onto the tops of the roll bar cup bolts, can just see them from the engine bay.......

Bolt the bar up first then the drop links.....

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Make sure also they have ordered the new cups, there different on the new bar.....

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Do they do an uprated bar for a 210 ?

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
not part of the replacement bar then?
Correct, the new cups do not come with the modified bar, they are a different shape.

As above, the rubbers are integral with the modified bar.

OP
R

realslimshady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 cdi 2005
I was assured today that new cups are not required for my car-'early models only' I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I hope to try and replace it...

SteveX

Reaction score
Always a good idea to jack the hubs up to take the weight off of the droplinks and so the ARB, the bolts will come out much, much easier with no weight on the bar pulling down on the clamps / bolts.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom