C350 Petrol Discontinued

saleemarshad

Reaction score
Hello,
I had a look at this V6 earlier this year and its a stunning engine. Wonder why MB discontinued this.

What is the take on the C350 Diesel?

Thanks

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
They just don't sell, people looking for that type of performance want excellent economy as well so go for the 350CDi

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I guessed that would be the reason. Pity. I love large petrol engines but I guess this is the way things are likely to go in the future.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
+1

350CDi does all that the petrol does with better economy.

OP
S

saleemarshad

Reaction score
but is the diesel as refined ? the petrol one seemed to have a bit more BHP to it..

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Drive both and compare, sir. I haven't.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
but is the diesel as refined ? the petrol one seemed to have a bit more BHP to it..

BHP isnt that relavant really. its TORQUE you need to go faster!
diesels hve come a long way in the refinement stakes in the last 10 years or so, especially!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Drive a 350cdi and you won't look back. Smooth, refined and wonderfully punchy even at low revs.

alexR1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 CDI Elegance ; Yamaha YZF-R1
I've lived with a 2010 C350CDi - first and last diesel for me! So much turbo lag and awful induction noise when cold (marginally better when warm but still very diesel-y). Going back to petrol and taking delivery of one of the last petrol 3.5V6s on Friday - can't wait. No comparison in terms of refinement - petrol light years ahead.

The eco warriors wouldn't like it if we insisted they drove big-engined cars so why should they effectively influence the industry to stop producing big multi-cylinder engines?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I've lived with a 2010 C350CDi - first and last diesel for me! So much turbo lag and awful induction noise when cold (marginally better when warm but still very diesel-y). Going back to petrol and taking delivery of one of the last petrol 3.5V6s on Friday - can't wait. No comparison in terms of refinement - petrol light years ahead.

The eco warriors wouldn't like it if we insisted they drove big-engined cars so why should they effectively influence the industry to stop producing big multi-cylinder engines?

I have never had a diesel yet and I cannot see it in the near future either

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4

Totally agree with you.

If the petrol returned 50mpg and the diesel returned 25mpg do you really think we would sell any diesels at all?

Torque means nothing imho, all torque is is the figure you multiply by the revs to get the figure that matters, BHP.
With a petrol you get the best of both, really smooth and relaxed at the lower rpm and ballistic acceleration as you get to the higher rpm. With diesel (in fact turbos to be fair) you get all or nothing, that shove of power that is used up in 2-2500rpm.
Problem is, drive a diesel for too long and you forget how to drive a petrol. Friend of mine who had a mapped 535d took my M3 for a weekend and thought it was absolutely gutless.
I had to take him out in it to prove him wrong, had to really force him to drive it between 4000 and 7500rpm, took him a good hour to get back into it.
He bought one a few weeks later.

Diesels are great motorway mile munchers in auto guise, but I simply won't believe that anyone would take one over a petrol with the same BHP and pace for any reason apart from financial or the fact they have forgotten how nice a big petrol is.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Diesels are great motorway mile munchers, but I simply won't believe that anyone would take one over a petrol with the same BHP and pace for any reason apart from financial

precisely why we DO buy diesels!

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
precisely why we DO buy diesels!

Me too, but I hate all the BS about how much they are better than petrols, and the fact that if the petrol had better residuals, better mpg etc. then they would still go for the diesel, it just wouldn't happen.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I don't think they are that much cheaper financially - it's a myth.

If you ignore the computer on the dash, and measure the ACTUAL mpg of petrol and diesel cars, then allow for the fact diesel is a good 3-4p dearer at the pump, then factor in the much higher initial cost and higher servicing costs (not to mention horrific repair bills if something goes properly wrong) - I think you'll find the diesel is not much cheaper to run than the petrol.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are cheaper, but not by as much many would hope.

My old man has been driving round in a 328i this week while his 530d GT is in the shop.
The 328i is returning approx. 20% better MPG, and is definitely quicker and more refined.
But, and it is a big but, it actually feels like a diesel compared to my old straight six petrol BMW, the turbo sort of spoils it in the same way it made my old 335i touring a bit dull and pointless.
Having said that though, would be interesting to see what the 4cyl turbo x28i engine would be like in his 5GT, would the extra size and weight bring it back in line with the 3 litre diesel economy wise or would it make it worse? I would be interested to know.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
This is why modern LPG systems are so good...
I can drive around in a smooth V6 petrol, but doing 50mpg like a diesel!

wilsodg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E/2011/350CDI D6S
I think it's strange when MB say that they withdrew the E500 and now C350 petrol engines becuase they did not "sell". The fact is, MB are responsible for selling, and MB do a good job of pushing diesel onto everyone - MB have sold diesels in preference to petrol.

Isn't it also partly to do with emissions and the requirement to be lowering the average across the range.

I'm with some of the others in this thread - I've got a diesel V6 with more power and torque then my old petrol V8 - the economy isn't that much better and I'd be back with the V8 tomorrow if they still made one (the 63 is not a realistic alternative)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is why modern LPG systems are so good...
I can drive around in a smooth V6 petrol, but doing 50mpg like a diesel!

I had contemplated doing this to my CL 216, not sure that my mileage warrant it though

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I did previously convert a couple of Mercs when I was doing big milage, I probably only do 10k a year now, but was lucky enough to buy mine already converted for £900 3 years ago now. 69.9p /l

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom