C350e

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
None of this alters the legal position under consumer protection law which is, as far as I understand it, that the car is defective, they are unable to repair it and you are entitled to a full refund.

afroking_jonty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C3503
That’s correct, I have also started shopping around to see if there is anything out there. It has always been my policy to purchase from dealership but they are proving to be equally terrible like some private sellers.

To be honest my girlfriend bought car from a private seller 2 years ago and it’s nothing but fantastic. She has been lucky with them but not me

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
What a terrible tale of woe this is.
I'm glad for the op that the dealer has now started to go in a more cooperative direction. Don't think I'd touch anything new these days except for a petrol powered vehicle, far too much hassle and things to go wrong with hybrid and Euro 6 diesels. Glad my CLK220 is Euro 4 with no dpf etc.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Good luck with it and regarding the dealer you have to keep the pressure on nowadays to get good service.

My son picks up a BMW 530d tomorrow, the car is 18 months old and supplied by a main dealer, it has 8k miles on it and as I suspected it hasn’t has an oil change since being delivered new. I’m a big fan of the 2 year oil intervals if you do low miles but he will be putting 8k miles on the car in the next 6 months so I suggested he asked them to service it which they have reluctantly agreed to do and this is on a £41k car.

afroking_jonty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C3503
Good luck with it and regarding the dealer you have to keep the pressure on nowadays to get good service.

My son picks up a BMW 530d tomorrow, the car is 18 months old and supplied by a main dealer, it has 8k miles on it and as I suspected it hasn’t has an oil change since being delivered new. I’m a big fan of the 2 year oil intervals if you do low miles but he will be putting 8k miles on the car in the next 6 months so I suggested he asked them to service it which they have reluctantly agreed to do and this is on a £41k car.
I don’t get this with dealerships. Someone has just spent £40k and you mourn about servicing the car before handing it over? Would be stupid to lose £40k deal over a £400 service. It’s a no brainer.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I don’t get this with dealerships. Someone has just spent £40k and you mourn about servicing the car before handing it over? Would be stupid to lose £40k deal over a £400 service. It’s a no brainer.
Their margins are so tight apparently lol
Having been involved in searching for this particular car it’s quite obvious BMW are micromanaging the price of cars in the UK

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes, it’s all down to wafer thin margins. And the sales department probably have to internally pay the service department so that may wipe out a lot of their profit from the sale.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes, it’s all down to wafer thin margins. And the sales department probably have to internally pay the service department so that may wipe out a lot of their profit from the sale.
The irony of the situation was that the salesman was falling over himself to offer free exterior paint protection and interior fabric guard but not what I thought was important ie a service. As you say probably creates a bit of friction with the service department apparently the the car was just outside their 6 months service window pre sale

afroking_jonty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C3503
But lets not forget they get a commission from a lender if they organise finance for you.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
But lets not forget they get a commission from a lender if they organise finance for you.
Not in this case though it was a cash sale which upsets the apple cart. I must say that the salesman was very candid about the financial side but very reluctant to show the service sheet prior to collection of the car

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
I said the same thing to them let’s see what they come back with.
Well that is a good start and well done for that. Yes, I would definitely be wanting the same spec or better. After all, I assume you bought a 350 over a 200 for a good reason. Good result - they are finally listening to you!

afroking_jonty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C3503
Well that is a good start and well done for that. Yes, I would definitely be wanting the same spec or better. After all, I assume you bought a 350 over a 200 for a good reason. Good result - they are finally listening to you!
Thanks to this forum. I took the advice to go on a ‘diplomatic offensive’. Apparently my case is not isolated and has opened a huge can of worms. I’m aware of a few people who have also came up with complaints. I hate tabloids, but in this case they were my saviour to get these people to listen. Now they went back to the tabloid saying we are paying him an extra £5k for inconvenience so run a story about that as well. So the journalist rang me and asked if it true and said I’m not aware of that and never had any discussions about compensation. Compensation right now is least of my worries I just need my car first.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom