C36 AMG Suspension Bushes

C36amg_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C36 AMG 1996
Hi Guys,

I'm a C36 owner and new to this forum, I have been having a good read and then is some great stuff on here.

I've decided to give the old girl a little TLC in particular with regards to suspension and brakes.

I need my rear suspension bushers replaced. Has anyone got any information about the C36 suspension setup or any advice on parts etc? any help or advice would be much appreciated.

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm quite familiar with the regular W202 C Class suspension which is basically the same as the W124 rear suspension, but I have never worked on a C36 AMG specifically, as we didn't get those in South Africa.

If the setup is basically the same, you have a five link rear suspension setup. The bushes and in some cases ball joints at either end of these five links do wear out with age and some do very quickly on rough roads.

The best way to check is to get one rear wheel off the ground by jacking the car at the prescribed jacking point under the sill and attempting to rock the wheel first with one hand on the tread at the top and one at the bottom, then with one hand at the front and the other at the rear. If there is movement when shaking the wheel top and bottom, the wheel bearing is suspect nr.1. If there is no movement, place a jack under the bottom link, as close to the wheel as possible (supporting the car on jackstands) and jack it up until the wheel has lifted about two inches. Now check for movement again. If there is still no movement, the rear auapension is A OK!

If any movement can be discerned, it's usually quite simple to spot the links that allow thos movement by letting someone else do the shaking and having a look at each bush in turn to spot the duff part.

I suggest you buy any suspension parts from the Merc dealers only, but apparently Meyle in Germany make very high quality replacement parts (I have no idea who stocks Meyle parts in the UK). Separate bushes are available for 3 of the 5 links, but the other 2 have to be replaced as units.

It's always worthwhile to give an older Merc some TLC. Very often they will give better service than nearly anything you can buy new!

Phil

Last edited:
OP
C

C36amg_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C36 AMG 1996
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help and advice. I'll hopefully be able to check out the suspension setup at the weekend.

I've tracked down my local merc dealer so I should be able to get parts from there as soon as I check out what it is I need for the C36 suspension. I've also managed to find a Meyle UK office which might be of interest to some people on the forum too.

http://www.meyle.com/EN/Locations/MEYLE-UK.html

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom