C43 Estate niggles

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Hi All.

New to the forum and new to my C43, had it around 3 weeks now, not done too many miles to date.

I did post in the new members Intro section with some photos but not sure if the post needs to be moderated before it appears.

Anyway I have a few niggles that I would like to share to see if anyone else has hit the same problems, will be calling merc later in week to try and get it booked under warranty.

1. Rear external door handle light not working as seen in pics.

2. Creaking coming from somewhere in back, hard to pin point while driving, not even 100% sure it's from rear if I'm honest.

3. When going 70mph / motorway speeds there is an annoying buffeting noise like if you had a window open, can't feel any draft or wind however and no whistling of any kind, could it be tyres rather than wind? it's very annoying to the point if makes your ears hurt.

4. standard crabbing when cold and on tight turns, can be quite bad.

thanks
lee
3d7ab5efb2b26061feee06bb494ff8b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Leds can be replaced but it’s a door card off job, check the other side for colour tho as my old C class estate had blue leds on the rear doors
thanks that was my understanding also, they are all white on the other 3 working ones, hoping dealer will sort under warranty not sure if others have had it fixed?, my main concerns were the other niggles as they are ones I'm sure they will say can't be replicated, even though the wind sounding noise is very obvious

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
thanks that was my understanding also, they are all white on the other 3 working ones, hoping dealer will sort under warranty not sure if others have had it fixed?,
All of mine have been replaced under warranty, all four doors and the ones in the mirrors too.
I've been told the replacements are an updated design as water ingress killed the originals, so keep the pressure washer away from the door handles!

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
All of mine have been replaced under warranty, all four doors and the ones in the mirrors too.
I've been told the replacements are an updated design as water ingress killed the originals, so keep the pressure washer away from the door handles!
that's great thanks, shame they aren't all broken then, hopefully the rest break under warranty as they sound a pain to change.

Just need to figure out the buffeting noise as that's the most annoying thing, still wonder if it's thr tyres rather than actual wind noise , but changing all tyres when they are all decent seems an expensive test

thanks again

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
that's great thanks, shame they aren't all broken then, hopefully the rest break under warranty as they sound a pain to change.

Just need to figure out the buffeting noise as that's the most annoying thing, still wonder if it's thr tyres rather than actual wind noise , but changing all tyres when they are all decent seems an expensive test

thanks again

Has it had a new screen? Issues reported on the forum of wind noise from badly fitted trim around the screen following a replacement

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Has it had a new screen? Issues reported on the forum of wind noise from badly fitted trim around the screen following a replacement
Good question, not that I know of but it's 18 months old so previous owner could have had a new windscreen at some point, it's an odd noise as it's that annoying fluttering noise like window is slightly open but can't tell exactly where its coming from as seems to be same aoubd everywhere in car, plus can't feel any wind anywhere or actual wind whistling sound etc, which made me think maybe tyre noise I'm mistaking for wind noise

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Can't add much to these issues other than to say crabbing is always worse in the cold weather. I never get it in the summer but getting quite bad at the moment as the front tyres are getting down to 3mm and will need replacing soon. I can live with it though!

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Can't add much to these issues other than to say crabbing is always worse in the cold weather. I never get it in the summer but getting quite bad at the moment as the front tyres are getting down to 3mm and will need replacing soon. I can live with it though!
yea that doesn't concern me too much, might change tyres anyway or at least will when they need it, won't be anything runflats and will go back to my standard PS4S when I can

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
I got crabbing on my C250d 4Matic with the factory original 19” Pirelli’ summers.
Mercs changed these to Continental's under warranty and it’s never been an issue since.

PS: I've also got Pirelli winters on 18" rims and strangely enough never had a crabbing problem with these either!

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
I got crabbing on my C250d 4Matic with the factory original 19” Pirelli’ summers.
Mercs changed these to Continental's under warranty and it’s never been an issue since.

PS: I've also got Pirelli winters on 18" rims and strangely enough never had a crabbing problem with these either!
thanka for that good to know, its currently on pzero rosso 19" , not sure if they are run flats as can't seem to find any run flat markings on the tyres but crabbing ia quite bad when cold outside.

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
All mine are run-flats if that helps
Do they specially say run flat on the tyre or have a code like RSC anywhere on them? I think you can get rosso's in both run flat and non ru flats.

Assume you don't get any form of buffeting noise around 70mph?

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Just checked the tyres now and seem to have the following

Front- 225/40/19 93Y Pirelli Pzero Run flat
Rear- 255/35/19 96Y Pirelli Pzero Rosso not run flat as far as I can see

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Assume you don't get any form of buffeting noise around 70mph?
No.

19" Continental Sport Contact - Runflat - 225/40 - SSR - MOE on the front
19" Continental Sport Contact - Runflat - 255/35 - SSR - MOE on the rear

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
No.

19" Continental Sport Contact - Runflat - 225/40 - SSR - MOE on the front
19" Continental Sport Contact - Runflat - 255/35 - SSR - MOE on the rear
All run flats then but conti which I think was thr recommendation from merc to fix crabbing from what I've seen around.

I wonder if my crabbing is being caused by the pirelli run flats on the front and also wonder if the wind type noise is being cased by tyres.

The rears appear to have been replaced for non run flats and recently as tread seems quite high, front have much less tread

Not sure if to look at replacing the fronts for pirelli non run flat same as rear or look at sticking PS4S all round, would obviously cost more and may not fix either buffeting or crabbing

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder if my crabbing is being caused by the pirelli run flats
Pirelli summer tyres were definitely the crabbing issue on mine. Go for the Conti's...German car- German tyre; built from the ground up.

Unless my MB main dealer altered the steering geometry which was unknown to me at the same time of tyre replacement.

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Pirelli summer tyres were definitely the crabbing issue on mine. Go for the Conti's...German car- German tyre; built from the ground up.

Unless my MB main dealer altered the steering geometry which was unknown to me at the same time of tyre replacement.
will have a think about it thanks and good to know the pzero caused your crabbing issues, assume you had no issues with buffeting type noises at motorway speeds when you had them on?

OP
L

leespo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 Estate
Regarding the buffeting at motorway speeds I’d get the garage to check that all the underbody panels are secure
will do thanks. blackcircle have 15% off PS4S today so tempted to get a full set anyway as never been a fan of pzeros and don't want the run flats on the front.

for just over £600 seems decent value, shame the rears aren't a bit older as I would feel better then

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom