C63 or a45 amg?

Jgavin1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg
Hi guys new to the forum as I'm not a Mercedes owner,yet. Basically I'm stuck between trading in my e92 m3 for either an a45 aero pack or a c63 amg coupe.

M3 is getting a bit older now and always wanted a merc. I don't do much commuting so fuel economy isn't a major factor and I will be sticking a stage 1 on either of them when I get it. Would the c63 be in a different world compared to a mapped a45 and would a mapped a45 be much quicker than the m3?

Both cars are around the same price so if anyone who's owned either could shed some light on the pros and cons of either it would be appreciated!

Thanks

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
C63 6.2 n/a all day long. A Eurocharge V5 map will give around 520bhp and lift the limiter to 186mph.

If you are keen on a 2ltr turbo maybe the A45 is for you, and it should make 350+bhp with a map.I don't know enough about M3's to comment on whether its quicker. They are pretty quick, but the C63 will leave it for dead once you're up to silly speed.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
As a guy that drives and looks after them for a living.....
There is no contest! The M156 was built for the C63, and is arguably the finest N/A V8 To come out of affalterbach.
The 4pot turbo in the A45 is a cracking engine, but there's just no comparison to be had.
Obviously a facelift C63 is a must.
The transmission shifts will not be as good as an M3, or an A45 but just about everything else will be in a different league.

I run an EC map and its nudging 500bhp

I also own a CL55k nudging 600bhp

Id take the C63 as a daily driver every time.

The C63 unfortunately is associated with tossers ( me included ), but is a legend of a car

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Like the rest, I'd also go for the C63. Much more to enjoy and do with it than the A45 which is pretty much at it's max already. :)

Just get an E63 bi turbo and have the best of all worlds :)

Nah, old man car so I keep being told Matt. :p

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Jgavin1, welcome to the forum :) Difficult choice :rolleyes: if only....

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Both vehicles have excellent scope for tuning but as far as "which is a better car" I would say C63 for the all rounder but the A45 off the lights will have the C63! The only issue I can see is that jumping from an M you wont be to impressed with the chassis on either but as far as power plant the 63 is simply sublime!

Many thanks

OP
J

Jgavin1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg
Cheers for the replies. I had been set on a c63 for ages but the m3 popped up for a good deal so I had to have it! Generally everyone seems to go for the c63 I just was sure as iv heard the a45's are scary fast with a tune and all weather capability would be nice....especially in Scotland where it rains 379 days a year! Heart set on c63 but logic says a45 :/ probably need to test drive both

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
In which case A45 having 4WD would be more suited and you can get some crazy power from them.

Our C63 stage 2 is a bit of handful in the dry sometimes lol

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
I would say if your worried about winter snow / wet weather conditions, i would go for the 4WD A45. Best to test drive both, on a rainy day...which if in Scotland should be most days:p

Cheers for the replies. I had been set on a c63 for ages but the m3 popped up for a good deal so I had to have it! Generally everyone seems to go for the c63 I just was sure as iv heard the a45's are scary fast with a tune and all weather capability would be nice....especially in Scotland where it rains 379 days a year! Heart set on c63 but logic says a45 :/ probably need to test drive both

OP
J

Jgavin1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg
M3 is a bit wild in the wet can only imagine what a c63 would feel like with a Honda type r worth of torque extra and smaller tyres!

A45 best suits my everyday driving conditions but something about the c63 has me sold

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I'd go for the 63 for the sound alone! :)

OP
J

Jgavin1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 amg
Majority vote C63 it is :D one of my mates just got a 507 edition so il go for a run in that and Itl seal the deal!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yeah if you go in that you'll be smitten!
Then pray for a mild winter and stay off the A68....

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
The C63 unfortunately is associated with tossers

last I heard, the M3 was associated with them more! (sorry to the OP)
and ANY Audi!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
As a guy that drives and looks after them for a living.....
There is no contest! The M156 was built for the C63, and is arguably the finest N/A V8 To come out of affalterbach.
The 4pot turbo in the A45 is a cracking engine, but there's just no comparison to be had.
Obviously a facelift C63 is a must.
The transmission shifts will not be as good as an M3, or an A45 but just about everything else will be in a different league.

I run an EC map and its nudging 500bhp

I also own a CL55k nudging 600bhp

Id take the C63 as a daily driver every time.

The C63 unfortunately is associated with tossers ( me included ), but is a legend of a car

+1 for this!

I got mine a little bit out of the blue, basically thinking "gotta do it once in my life!", and also while the M156 was about.

I've had my facelift saloon for a little over 2 years, and yet to tire of it! The engine alone, whether pottering about town or letting it off its lead, is an absolute gem, full of character... Just awesome.

Am toying with CLA/GLA45 as work is changing, but they're a lot of money for a 4-pot hatchback (not decrying their ability, just seem expensive!).

In your boat, get the 63, enjoy it for as long as you can/want, then you can always look at fresher 45s in a couple of years!

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom