Cabrio Comfort Roof top module

Rebel

Reaction score
Website
www.digi-darkroom.com
Your Mercedes
280SLK (R171) Obsidian Black
I recently bought a Cabrio roof top module off a well known auction site, unfortunately for me it was after they started putting realistic reserves on these modules but they are still less expensive than the alternative smart top etc would have cost me.

Anyway as I am disabled and have very little feeling in my hands due to spinal cord injuries amongst other things, I really wasn't looking forward to trying to fit this myself but I wanted the convenience this module would offer so after a lot of looking around I contacted a company in Milton Keynes (England) who are dealers for the smart top, named Deutsch tech, I spoke to a guy named Ben and after a bit of discussion (mainly over money ) I sent him the fitting instructions for the cabrio comfort roof module via email and he eventually quoted me £100 to fit the module and set it all up for me.

Well today was the day I went there, I arrived as we agreed between 1.30 and 2.00 got made a cup of tea by the guy doing the work and they went to work! About 30 - 40 minutes later the guy working on the SLK (Len) put my car in front of the garage with the roof working off the remote just as I wanted, I needed to go down the road and set the speed activation lock up myself although it works at up to 60 Kph I decided 25 - 30 mph was plenty as far as I was concerned so set it accordingly and on the way home I got a chance to try it out

It started getting a little cold and my wife was feeling the temperature drop so I waited until we arrived at a roundabout slowed down to the required speed and raised the roof, what a joy, it worked just as it was meant to and I have spent around £250 for the module and fitting (and other expenses petrol etc) I am a now VERY happy SLK owner, it was almost as good as seeing the look on the driver behind me's face as the roof started to go up on the way around the roundabout, a nice end to a good day and a big thanks to Deutsch tech of Milton Keynes for their contribution into making my 280SLK into the dream car I always wanted!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you for posting a happy thread :D:D

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
happy days, when i got half way through your thread i was dreading you were going to say the roof stuck half closed. enjoy whats left of the summer.;)

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Nice post .Well done

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought on for my SL, in the 6 years I had the car I never got round to fitting the thing :(

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Smaxwell has the Smart top on his 209. His party piece (at others request) is to stand well away from the car and do a full open and close. In some ways I am a little gutted that my 208 has the manual lock at the front so will never be able to do this.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rebel

Reaction score
Website
www.digi-darkroom.com
Your Mercedes
Thanks fror all the replies guys, they are appreciated :)

Malcolm (Television) you really should get your smart top fitted asap, it makes the hard top so much more usable its unreal where I wouldnt take the risk of opening the roof last week, now I'll open the roof knowing if the worst happens closing it again is minor and can be done on the move!

I have to admit I didnt realise total window opening and closure were included with the comfort module but much to my surprise they are and work perfectly all controlled either from the car remote or the interior controls, in reality I have struck it lucky I think, I bought it so I could close the roof if it started raining etc and have ended up with a far more user friendly system, why MB don't do this as standard I have no idea but in my opinion it is pure stupidity.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rebel

Reaction score
Website
www.digi-darkroom.com
Your Mercedes
Smaxwell has the Smart top on his 209. His party piece (at others request) is to stand well away from the car and do a full open and close. In some ways I am a little gutted that my 208 has the manual lock at the front so will never be able to do this.

Yep my SLK does that party trick now as well :D Tbh it's quite impressive even for the wife and I watching it is fun and we saw the system being fitted:D

What a regular motorist (non hardtop electric convertible owner) thinks is beyond me, I would start thinking of the transfrormer films and cartoons if the situation was reversed I'm sure :D.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks fror all the replies guys, they are appreciated :)

Malcolm (Television) you really should get your smart top fitted asap, it makes the hard top so much more usable its unreal where I wouldnt take the risk of opening the roof last week, now I'll open the roof knowing if the worst happens closing it again is minor and can be done on the move!

I have to admit I didnt realise total window opening and closure were included with the comfort module but much to my surprise they are and work perfectly all controlled either from the car remote or the interior controls, in reality I have struck it lucky I think, I bought it so I could close the roof if it started raining etc and have ended up with a far more user friendly system, why MB don't do this as standard I have no idea but in my opinion it is pure stupidity.

I sold the SL 1 year ago and now in a boring old CL500 ;):D

OP
R

Rebel

Reaction score
Website
www.digi-darkroom.com
Your Mercedes
I sold the SL 1 year ago and now in a boring old CL500 ;):D
BORING lol, why change a beauty like the SL and get a much more standard car I can't understand but from the exceedingly little I know at least the CL500 is supposed to be a nice car to travel in (I heard its fun to drive as well but I'm, not sure about that myself having never even sat in one)

I seem to remember having conversations like this with you a few years ago on a different forum Malcolm when I first got my CLK but that was before I had a ruptured aneurysm (at home) and lost 4.5 litres of blood and very nearly my life as well lol, since then I seem to have been in hospital of one sort or another so often I have shares in the beds and the cleaners all know my first name lol.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BORING lol, why change a beauty like the SL and get a much more standard car I can't understand but from the exceedingly little I know at least the CL500 is supposed to be a nice car to travel in (I heard its fun to drive as well but I'm, not sure about that myself having never even sat in one)

I seem to remember having conversations like this with you a few years ago on a different forum Malcolm when I first got my CLK but that was before I had a ruptured aneurysm (at home) and lost 4.5 litres of blood and very nearly my life as well lol, since then I seem to have been in hospital of one sort or another so often I have shares in the beds and the cleaners all know my first name lol.

I look after my ex wife, who has also spent nearly 6 weeks in hospital, the SL was too hard for her to get in and out, so the CL it was, its faster than the SL500 and I can operate the passenger seat fully from the drivers side, and the is a huge bonus.

So sorry to hear your troubles, and they are still on going, will you get clear one day. Life can be very delicate at times, I got to know all the staff and can now operate the beds and other medical stuff :D

OP
R

Rebel

Reaction score
Website
www.digi-darkroom.com
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately my probs are ongoing and there is virtually no chance of ever getting "a clean bill of health"

The surgeons wouldn't do the operation I needed last year as they felt my overall health wasn't good enough and I was unlikely to survive so they did a temporary job hoping it will hold out long enough for some of my other issues to improve, if I get any uncontrollable infections even now according to the consultant I am in deep do-do, as normally they would simply remove the artificial implants but in my case that would be instantly fatal so its not an option.

If it doesn't last long enough for the full surgery then I will never know about it anyway because I can only survive for a few seconds if it bursts again, in the same way as any complications either now or during any further surgery will be terminal, no half way house for me I'm afraid. (Hey if your going to do something you may as well do it right even if it is being a pain in the rear end :D )

Then of course the surgery itself IF all goes well is fairly risky, and survival rates aren't exactly wonderful, but that basically means I know I have to make every day count, thats why I bought the SLK now, logically it is completely stupid my CLK is going well, yes its high mileage but reliable economical and looks reasonable and I only drive 3-4k a year (more in the SLK hopefully), I haven't even put the CLK up for sale (yet) although I have to do that very soon.

However as she said if the R171 makes me happy (and it does) I should go for it, after all anything I leave behind will go to her first and foremost and then to my kids who are probably better off than I am :) by the way my wife hasn't even moved the car yet let alone driven it properly :) and if for any reason I have to stop driving then at least I will still be chauffeur driven in a nice car:p

Devonian

Reaction score
I recently bought a Cabrio roof top module off a well known auction site, unfortunately for me it was after they started putting realistic reserves on these modules but they are still less expensive than the alternative smart top etc would have cost me.

Anyway as I am disabled and have very little feeling in my hands due to spinal cord injuries amongst other things, I really wasn't looking forward to trying to fit this myself but I wanted the convenience this module would offer so after a lot of looking around I contacted a company in Milton Keynes (England) who are dealers for the smart top, named Deutsch tech, I spoke to a guy named Ben and after a bit of discussion (mainly over money ) I sent him the fitting instructions for the cabrio comfort roof module via email and he eventually quoted me £100 to fit the module and set it all up for me.

Well today was the day I went there, I arrived as we agreed between 1.30 and 2.00 got made a cup of tea by the guy doing the work and they went to work! About 30 - 40 minutes later the guy working on the SLK (Len) put my car in front of the garage with the roof working off the remote just as I wanted, I needed to go down the road and set the speed activation lock up myself although it works at up to 60 Kph I decided 25 - 30 mph was plenty as far as I was concerned so set it accordingly and on the way home I got a chance to try it out

It started getting a little cold and my wife was feeling the temperature drop so I waited until we arrived at a roundabout slowed down to the required speed and raised the roof, what a joy, it worked just as it was meant to and I have spent around £250 for the module and fitting (and other expenses petrol etc) I am a now VERY happy SLK owner, it was almost as good as seeing the look on the driver behind me's face as the roof started to go up on the way around the roundabout, a nice end to a good day and a big thanks to Deutsch tech of Milton Keynes for their contribution into making my 280SLK into the dream car I always wanted!

Well done rebel,

I fitted one of the cabrio modules to my SLK ( bit of a B*****d job) and loved it, now have one fitted in the SL ( much easier job - just plugs in) on both cars it just adds that finishing touch to the roof operation :)

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Cabrio-Plus - MBS installation

Thread resurrection !:mrgreen:

So I bought the Cabrio-Plus module for the CLK from the German manufacturer
http://www.cabrio-plus.eu/

I did intend to fit it myself (having successfully fitted the folding mirror kit to the Qashqai a year ago) but I am glad I didn't. There's a lot of wires and its a complicated Canbus to the untrained eye (compared to simply tapping into a window activation trunk!)

8am appointment with Carl at MBS, just over half an hour later and I can now open and close the roof off the key, have one touch operation and can close the roof at a little more than snails pace (but still very slow unlike the Saab due the hatch opening up like a wind break!)

Carl did diligently refer to the instruction, but that's not always helpful when they quote a red and white wire but the module only has grey ones (as an example)!
They were in English (ish) at least - a word of warning if you do consider DIY!

A nice cuppa from Merlin and another happy customer!

Its a 'mod' I would recommend to all cabrio users (one touch is lazy but so much better and the remote opening is cool as rated by my kids :cool:)

So along with a B service, ATF change and new rear pads from MBS a few weeks ago, that's me set up for summer.:D

Last edited:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Must say, I was impressed with it, always see these things as a gimmick and a waste of money but that little box really did do what it's was spost to do......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can open the metal roofs up to 30mph, I guess it is the shape and action of the cab roof that limits the speed.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
You can open the metal roofs up to 30mph, I guess it is the shape and action of the cab roof that limits the speed.

And some soft tops....

the Saab 9-3 boot / hatch opened slightly up and horizontally at upto 25 mph (assuming no bonkers headwind which someone on the Saab forum did do and had to have their roof realigned at some cost)

With the CLK just opening up vertically I can see why Colin and Carl said snails pace only. :eek:
I will think twice in a strong headwind

But happy!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And some soft tops....

the Saab 9-3 boot / hatch opened slightly up and horizontally at upto 25 mph (assuming no bonkers headwind which someone on the Saab forum did do and had to have their roof realigned at some cost)

With the CLK just opening up vertically I can see why Colin and Carl said snails pace only. :eek:
I will think twice in a strong headwind

But happy!

Very wise, I never use mine on a the SL over 15mph

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Fitting the 'Cabrio Module' to my SLK was one of the first mods I did (together with getting rid of the ridiculous oversized wheels).

As well as being able to raise and lower the roof on the move, if I forget to put it up after a drive I can do that from the comfort of my lounge.

A fringe benefit I only realised recently was that if the roof is up but the windows have been left down, they can now also be closed remotely on the plip! It's a really useful mod. :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom