Can I get a signal...

Two-chins

Reaction score
...a radio signal, that is? It's like this: acquired CLK 320 '98 reg, 75k miles. Have removed the CD radio that was in it (I've forgotten the brand) which had a key card immobliser. It wasn't working but the main reason it was outed is my Kenwood is Ipod compatible. Connected up easily and not a bad sound from CD and Ipod, but no radio station lock or music, just static a' la white room. The aerial lead is in place, but the only antennae is a stick on small twig on the rear screen. Q: is this the standard aerial -- it look more like mobile phone twig, or does the aerial lead at the back of the unit go elsewhere ie somewhere?
Yours
Mr Perplexed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The chances are that the antenna amp is not getting power now and you are now just picking up white noise. The antenna is built into the rear screen

OP
T

Two-chins

Reaction score
Sire, I lean towards earth in acknowledgement of your experience

Good evening, sir. What amp, where amp, do what amp? Yes, still awaiting delivery of workshop DVD (yawn). There was an intermediate wiring section in-line of original unit and main loom. Has a small relay-like block with four (I think) spade connectors. I thought it might be a noise surpressor. Could this be the missing link of the FM/AM world?

OP
T

Two-chins

Reaction score
Ohhh!

Sugar me, I see it, well quite a few. Maybe/hopefully I disturbed a connector when removing interior lining for the damper replacement. I'll check it out laterz. Bed calling. I'm orft to that there Londinium in the marnin'. 'Kin place. You have a good weekend/few days.
Thank you v muchly.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I think the aeriel amplifier is behind the drivers side C piller trim

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Before you think about replacing the aerial amp (c pillar near to where the demister wires connect to the screen) test out the signal core of the aerial lead - not the earth sheath - as it is possibly broken within the radio connector.

The inner core is very thin and where the connector bend 90 degrees it is likely to break when disconnecting the radio. You can prise apart the connector and a spot of solder solves the problem.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Before you think about replacing the aerial amp (c pillar near to where the demister wires connect to the screen) test out the signal core of the aerial lead - not the earth sheath - as it is possibly broken within the radio connector.

The inner core is very thin and where the connector bend 90 degrees it is likely to break when disconnecting the radio. You can prise apart the connector and a spot of solder solves the problem.

Yes this is true and could be either end,,you do need to check that power is going to the amp, as it could be powered from the radio that was

OP
T

Two-chins

Reaction score
Blimey, bit nippy up here...

...but I'm all warm inside with so much advice. I thank you all with many thanks. At least now I've got something to do tomorrow in between shopping, shopping and more shopping. She likes to go shopping; she wants to go shopping. Perhaps Sunday then?

OP
T

Two-chins

Reaction score
Test it how?

"...test out the signal core of the aerial lead - not the earth sheath - as it is possibly broken within the radio connector."

How? To see if there's a short between the two, or other way. I'm a wordsmith and only a part-time spanner twirler.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cant do anymore checking till next week as I am away for a few days, and I do not own a laptop of any description including the warm cuddly ones:(

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
"...test out the signal core of the aerial lead - not the earth sheath - as it is possibly broken within the radio connector."

How? To see if there's a short between the two, or other way. I'm a wordsmith and only a part-time spanner twirler.

The easiest way is to remove the trim on the C pillar so that you can get access to the amplifier and one end of the lead.

With both ends of the lead disconnected from any equipment. Short out the earth shield and central core at one end. I used a paperclip. Then test for continuity at the other end.

Use a multimeter or another way is to apply a voltage to the central core. Connect the shield to earth and use a 12V bulb at the other end.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The other way to test the fault is to unplug from the amp and put a paper clip in the end of the lead and hold it while out side the car and tune to say radio 2 at 99,7 or what ever it is near youand the radio will work if the lead is OK

OP
T

Two-chins

Reaction score
Thank you. And message for Television

Well that's plenty to go at. Thank you both for the advice. If time tomorrow I shall get on with the job and let you know the results.

Television: I got the CD manuals. All three labelled expertly as MB looky-likeys and with destruction leaflet on how to load them inc' turning off Firewalls, oh. Double oh, I have to play install CD on separate PC to assist loading of 4GB of data/info. Blow me. I'll have to wait until I get my laptop from work. Do you recognise this system?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom