Can you Tow with a CLS?

simon_wall69

Reaction score
For the money of a fitted tow bar you could get yourself a lovely w124 te and fit everything in it.

How much stuff are you taking? I have gone camping in mine for months at a time around Europe and I'm yet to fill the load bay.

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
A Mercedes should be used to waft up to a hotel. Camping ugh!!! :) Does nobody have any pride in their cars any more?:confused:

Au contraire, its cos we have so much pride in our elite caravanning that only a Merc CLS will do......

We are going to have to Educate you old boy,.....

Cardinal (My Other Merc is a Hymer) Biggles

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Coupe Brabus D6-III, A150 SE, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
Could probably tow a house with the amount of torque a CLS 320 CDI has!!

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"Im not planning on towing a van, especially a twin axle job like yours, Im just starting the whole camping lark up again after a break of about 15 years (the wife didnt do camping, she left me and the children last year so I thought sod it, the rest of my family go camping / trailer tenting so I will get back into it and weve had some nice breaks away,"

I was in a similar position, almost bought a trailer tent, with the benefit of hindsight thank god I didnt in the end. Go for the caravan if you can, but get a rot-proof one. It was a great decision for me and the kids on so many levels, so good for you for going with that approach.

I got a Hymer, superb, with PUAL construction and I got 25% off by buying it direct from Holland. My C220 W204 in Palladium silver matches it perfectly, and the Brink towbar folds under the bumper totally out of sight when not in use.

Ill dig out a few photos.... he he he he he :evil::evil::evil:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This is the setup we're using;

nprh45.jpg

Ifor Williams trailor with 6 bikes and quite a bit of the camping equipment on.
It keeps my Mercedes clean and makes no difference to the fuel economy.

AMG bodied cars cannot be used for towing IIRC and I think the CLS will drop into this although not sure why they cannot tow.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
With some AMG models there's a problem with the shape of the rear bumper which cannot be overcome without a cut. I would think the CLS may have the same issue and if so MB probably won't specify a bumper cut.

The aftermarket boys do offer bumper cuts and you have to decide whether it you want to do it because of the asthetics.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It can also be due to lack of Type approval.

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
Get an ML 4x4 not a CLS.

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi dont see why not.i hav seen towbar fitted on smart car

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the setup we're using;

AMG bodied cars cannot be used for towing IIRC and I think the CLS will drop into this although not sure why they cannot tow.

Aha, is that a T5 I see before me? Clearly a man of discerning taste!

Im expecting a problem fitting a towbar to the CLS but have the C220 as back up for towing if necessary. Id just love to use the CLS on the continent, drop off the caravan and then broom broom donw the local autobahns...... If its a straight choice, then it will be hotels and CLS for EU, caravan and C220 for UK/weekends.

AMG wont tow as caravans tend to fall apart when you go from 0-62 in about 6 seconds.............. or they at least try to overtake your car via the roof....

CB

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
A Mercedes should be used to waft up to a hotel. Camping ugh!!! :) Does nobody have any pride in their cars any more?:confused:

I love camping, the E class is ideal for lobbing heaps of clobber in the back. I've even slept in mine....

Anyway, a viable suggestion might be a 211. Those can tow just a treat and are cheaper than the equivielent CLS

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just curious, did the OP get a towbar for his CLS?

Caravanning season is upon us again imminently, and I'd love to go with the CLS - built for long journeys.

Currently it's going to be a huge lump of Blu-tack on the rear bumper to take the caravan with me......

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Hmm, am watching this one with interest. Few days ago, i asked myself this question if the we can tow with the CLS seeing the coupé shape of this vehicle. Am yet to see what CLS owners think.

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, there is a choice of 5 towbar styles for the Passat CC.

So why would that be different to a CLS?

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How on earth did you find that one Duncan?

The Google-fu is strong in this one, Skywalker.

And it still needs the lectrics and reinforcing bars, more like a Ton of Euros I fear. But possibly worth it.

I put a Brink on the W204 and thats £600. Worth every penny though. Folds totally out of sight, modern European electrics, and no cutting of bumper.

I'm on the phone now to MB to hear their rationale.

Last edited:

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK Mercedes have spoken.

All kneel.

"The CLS is a coupe. Mercedes do not make or design tow bars for their coupes."

"Mecerdes do not advocate fitting any tow bars to coupes as the body stresses are different than on a saloon, and Mercedes cannot guarantee that any non-Mercedes towbar would not damage the bodywork or overtax the cooling system on the car."

"Please go forth and multiply yourself" ( well, words to that effect... )

So there is the official answer direct from the horses mouth.

Now where is that Volvo brochure......... :(

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom