Cannot start 2002 sl500

Melmoth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500
Let me begin this post by stating that I am a moron. The rear consumables battery in my Sl500 was getting low so I took it out to trickle charge. For some reason the dash lights would not turn off, they would go off and then come back on again after a couple of seconds.

When I got up this morning, the car was totally dead and no power whatsoever. The kicker is that I cannot access the boot, the blade key will not fit the locks, it must have gotten mixed up in the past. So I cannot get the consumer battery back in and the now fully charged starter battery still gives no power to the vehicle.

My keyless go card is not doing anything and the main key does not turn in the ignition or bring up any signs of light. The vehicle is totally dead and I need to get a blade key cut to get into the boot to get the consumer battery back in. The vehicle does not show any signs of life even when hooked up to jump leads.

Any ideas? This is making me wish I had just went down to the main dealer .

OP
M

Melmoth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500
Right, got it fixed

Ok for posterity and future generations, it looks like the car will not start with the consumer battery removed once the starting battery has also been disconnected. I got a locksmith to make me two keys ( had to remove drivers door lock ) , once the boot was opened an the consumer key replaced, all was good.

Lessons learned.
  1. Do not mess with stuff you know nothing about
  2. make sure that your blade keys open and close the doors and boot.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom