• Silver

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
IMO, two big black lumps (the wheels) just don't go with the refines, elegant lines of the car . . .

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
But you / we're not north of the border in a RWD car @SmartAmg

Winters for both cold and snow are sensible, or more;)
True, but what difference would a different set of wheels make,
tyres perhaps, wheels no.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
Silver for me on a Mercedes. We do have a Skyline with black wheels and that suits it and doesn't show up all the brake dust from track days so badly.

I also have a spare set of "copy" Mercedes wheels, with some winter tyres on the rear and these will go on as soon as the temperature drops, otherwise I won't even get off my drive, let alone get up the hill!

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .

nothing , other than saving time and money paying tyre fitters twice a year . .

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance

Wheels do make a difference in winter if the summers are low profile and a staggered setup.
My winter tyres are not the same size as my summer tyres.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mmm, some fair points, but still not for me, same alloys and decent all season tyres do for me all year round, granted I don't live in Scotland or places that do get a fair bit of snow, but when we do get a good amount of snow, still no problems.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
In my opinion if your going black wheels , you need to De-chrome and fit the black badges etc , to complete the look.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In my opinion if your going black wheels , you need to De-chrome and fit the black badges etc , to complete the look.
I agree, particularly on a White car, i saw a BMW 3 series yesterday in white with pan roof (so looked black) small black boot spoiler , black badges, tinted windows, de-chromed and gloss black alloys, must admit it did look rather good.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be honest I can't understand this "winter" wheels business, I've always had just the one set of wheels on all my cars with no problems at all, a good dose of wax and regular washing, job done.

It's not the cleaning which is the issue tbh, almost everyone I've spoken to, be they owners or, professional tyre fitters has said that, RWD with auto box means, that without winter tyres on, the car's going nowhere in icy/snowy weather conditions.

Having alloys with winter tyres on just make it more convenient to do the swop over when the weather changes, although I do agree with your assessment of the best way to look after and keep the alloys clean.

In the past almost every car I've owned with the exception of the '70's and early '80's has been FWD there was no such thing as summer and winter tyres, everything was all season up until approx the last 7/8 years I'd guess.
So, basically you just got on with it until the current trend for the choices of summer, all season, and winters became the norm.

With the snow we had last year I'd prefer to be prepared when driving Auto, RWD. The amount of RWD cars I saw parked in ditches last year was quite incredible. I don't know whether that was down to driver error, as in lack of training or being ill prepared with the correct equipment. I prefer not to make that mistake and be properly prepared.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I like the Black wheels, think they maybe better in grey though.

I would get rid of the badge on the wing and chrome strip at the bottom of the doors

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's not the cleaning which is the issue tbh, almost everyone I've spoken to, be they owners or, professional tyre fitters has said that, RWD with auto box means, that without winter tyres on, the car's going nowhere in icy/snowy weather conditions.
That is also my experience with Mercedes.

I've silver 5 spoke wheels with winter wheels on at the moment, very comfortable and went through the torrential rain in the far far north last week without any drama whatsoever.

I normally see a dip in fool economy with winter wheels which can be somewhat accounted for by the increased rolling resistance. However as the car takes longer to heat up in the winter and with increased usage of heated screen and seats there is also a draw on fuel which I can't put onto the winter rubber.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like the Black wheels, think they maybe better in grey though.

I would get rid of the badge on the wing and chrome strip at the bottom of the doors

I have been thinking of removing the chrome strips, never thought about the badges tbh. Hmmm.... if I do them all it would look much better. I'm sure I've seen a couple with this work done and they look very clean.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom