Martin1956

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 AMG Line Roadster (2019)
Hi, I have recently bought a black SLK350. Unfortunately it does not fit in my garage so It will have to sit on the drive throughout winter. I was thinking about getting a car cover (possibly one of those one make specifically for the car to be covered), but I have had conflicting advice as to the pros and cons. Does anyone have any experience with them that they can share?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
One thing to bear in mind about a cover is they can damage paintwork if they can move about over the paint. Any grit on the car or the cover is a recipe for damaged paint.
The best option is one where the car sits in a cover where nothing touches it. There are several on the market ranging from inflatable solutions such as the CarCoon to fully rigid frame tent style constructions.

I use one similar to this for my Smart Roadster:

trike-home-cover.jpg

This isn't mine but is similar:
http://www.canvasandnylon.co.uk/portablegarages.php

Whatever you get make sure its well anchored for winter storms and can't touch paintwork if it flexes.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I have used a half car cover on my wife's CLK for the last few years , not all the time but just in the winter if it was going to be well below freezing and it would save me time in the morning defrosting her car . It also helped the door open when you have it raining before it freezes and the convertible window glass doesn't want to drop to let the door open . Cheaper and easier option than a full cover .

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I have one i use in the winter Monsoon is the name .Clean the car off polish it .Then any old bed sheets i drape over the top of the car and put them down to bottom of the doors .Then tie string through the door handles to secure them The covers come fully fitted with 4 flaps in the sides at roof leave to let the air circulate .The cover is made with sections in it for wing mirrors .And have straps on the bottom of the cover to pull it tight and secure it .My car was as snug as a bug in a rug ..Looking at it aftrer i removed the cover from time to time it was fine. . I can give you the name if interested

Last edited:

rajinder_1

Reaction score
Hi
i have been doing the same thing, looking for a good cover.

after trawling the net for the past few hours i have decided upon:
http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/OutdoorCoverCarBreathableSoft.html

from what i have read about them, this is the better choice according to user reviews will be placing my order this weekend.

i also found that MB US actually supply custom fit car covers in the states but you cant get them here! they are made of NOAH fabric and have the MB logos on it ! considering our weather you would think they were more suited for the UK!

Raj

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
I have used a half car cover on my wife's CLK for the last few years , not all the time but just in the winter if it was going to be well below freezing and it would save me time in the morning defrosting her car . It also helped the door open when you have it raining before it freezes and the convertible window glass doesn't want to drop to let the door open . Cheaper and easier option than a full cover .

Which one do you have?

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Wrapping a car in a cover for long periods outdoors can be damaging as they can be a condensation trap if the ground underneath the car is damp. This can speed up corrosion. Imo better to use a pop up gazebo which will keep the rain off but still allow free movement of air.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
SLKs have gotten big...they can't fit in a garage anymore!!

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
I think I can add a bit of useful advice here.

Old sheets, blankets etc are a huge no-no as they absorb moisture and hold it next to the paint. This generates a damp environment, which warms up in the summer, and especially if you have a cabrio, green algae will grow, paint can become blemished and water damaged, especially on older cars. And they are such a faff. I'd recommend using something made for the job - like a car cover for covering your car, bedsheets are for beds. If you want to use your car frankly the faff isnt worth saving about £100 on a decent cover.

The old comment which always appears on car cover threads about grit damaging the paint, often posted by people who have never bought and used a decent cover (and £40 from Halfords isn't a decent cover - your car cost at least £20k when new and is a Mercedes, so how can something bought at the bottom of the market be good enough except for an old wreck?). Yes, grit and a badly fitting cover can cause marring, but if you care enough to cover your car odds are you'll care enough to buy a decent one and ensure the car isn't filthy when its applied. a good cover, which fits well, custom made or just high quality, with good tie downs, straps and elastic, wont damage a cared for motor. Putting an E-Class cover on your new A Class, which we see often, is just plain daft.
Touchless Car Covers are exemplified by this: http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Touchless_Car_Cover.asp
The pram style ones can be heavy, and are expensive, which puts them out of the reach of many.

So our default outdoor cover advice is either a half cover for daily use cars, about £45, or a fleece-lined Protector4 breathable cover in one of 7 sizes which will fit almost any car. These cost from £112 -a small price to pay for a quality item for your quality car.
http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Protector-4-Breathable-covers.asp. These are off the shelf covers, though we are also agents for Covercraft custom fit covers and have our own factory to make fully waterproof custom covers too.

I'll add that we are official suppliers to Mercedes-Benz Retail in the UK and have produced bespoke covers for their Heritage Fleet in Milton Keynes. We also have a CLK (after a CLC) so have some affinity to the Merc world. And yes, I do use covers on our cars.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom