car failed nct/mot advice needed

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 sport,mercedes c200 elegance
my friends car failed its nct/mot,it failed on rear brake imbalance, i dont know what this means,is this expensive to fix,or could you do it yourself,thanks for your help

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello again :D yes they are easy DIY to do this,,often just a matter of replacing the rear shoes or adjusting the take up. What is the car please

OP
japimport

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks malcolm :D,the car is not a merc,its an nissan almera saloon,and the year is 01,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
thanks malcolm :D,the car is not a merc,its an nissan almera saloon,and the year is 01,

Ouch,,I do not know what they even look like,,If I were you I would take a look on a Nissan forum and the will be lots of info on the parking brake

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
unless you are talking about the handbrake, imbalance shouldnt be tested on the rears, unless its excessively low. cure depends on whether the car has rear disc brakes or just drums as it could be either at that age, depending on engine size and trim spec.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
We had a car (SEAT Ibiza) fail on this a couple of years ago.

To my mind, it's imbalance in another name - the MOT fail reason states:

c. The braking efforts at the roadwheels do not increase at about the same rate when the service brake is applied gradually
d. The braking efforts at the roadwheels do not reduce at about the same rate when the service brake is released gradually

- basically the car just needed the rear (drum) brakes servicing - cleaning etc. On an older car you could be perhaps looking at leaking cylinders.

OP
japimport

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for the replys, the nct/mot man just said something needs to be adjusted and thatl sort it out, thats all i know ,im going to have a look at it myself tommorow,im thinking of changing the pads, while im at the calibers,ill lets you kow how i get on,thanks for the help,oh one more thing his handbrake is up really high when hes parking,would that need to be adjusted aswell or is that fine

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if the car has discs all round, then the handbrake should self adjust on an almera. failing that, the cable may need some adjustment, but make sure everything is free in the calipers and the pads before considering cable adjustment

E300tdHighlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 300td estate.
If its a petrol it will have drums on the back. To rectify the problem I would first remove the brake drums to check all is well internally ie no leaking brake cylinders,brake shoe linings are good. If all is well clean everything, deglaze the inside of the drum and adjust the brake shoes. Hand brake travel should be 5 to 6 notches.

If it is diesel it will have discs on the rear. this is most likely to be a rear brake caliper which has become seized. Hand brake travel should be 6 to 8 notches.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not necessarily. the 2001 model sport usually had discs all round with petrol and diesel engines! the 1.8 petrol certainly had discs at the rear.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom