Car Random orbital Polisher ???????????

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Good Evening All,

The one in Halfrauds costs about £80 and there is a whole host of them with varying reviews on Amazon but does anyone have a favorite electric polisher?
Are they worth buying and can they produce such a superior finish that they justify their cost??

Any thoughts?

Regards as ever to all,

Tedfred

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
If you want hours of fun about detailing, look on detailingworld.co.uk! For an easier view, look at sites like ultimatefinish.co.uk.

I bought a Kestrel DAS6 a few years ago, plus appropriate pads and paint correction fluid. it's a slippery slope of cost and effort, but the difference to my Guards Red 968 coupe was massive - and I was a total novice! Pre DA use preparation is key - wash well, decontaminate with Iron-X or similar, re-wash, Clay bar, re-wash, inspect, then decide how aggressive a paint correction fluid you need to try - but start light, maybe 2000 grit equivalent, and see the results before deciding how much further to go. Look at 3M Perfect-it products, they're very good and used by high end pro detailers (but not cheap!!).

Also, if it's your SLK you're thinking about, be aware that you're actually polishing the clearcoat, not the colour coat, and MB Ceramicoat clearcoat is very hard (look at the paint code on the sticker on the B piller drivers door side, if it starts C it's Ceramicoat).

It's a lot of research, cost and work, but it can make an incredible difference depending on the car colour. I did my silver S203, it made it look good but not superb. I did my Tahoe Blue 968 cab, it came up fabulous, as did my Carneol Red S204, but the biggest difference was the GR 968 coupe which came from slightly purple Guards Red (similar to Fire Opal Red) back to showroom new and helped immensly about 3 years later when I sold the car.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi Chrishazle,

I looked up the polisher you suggested and was very very nearly conned my this.............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Kestrel-DAS6-Dual-Action-500w-Polisher-Mopping-Polishing-Detailing/649212206?_trkparms=aid=666006&algo=PRP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20161103085654&meid=eecb6b211c354255ad3a18bde171fd66&pid=100697&rk=5&rkt=5&&_trksid=p2349526.c100697.m4697

Does this strike anyone as deliberately misleading???

Regards TEDFRED
Looks a bit cheap buddy , maybe too good to be true .
Also check out Juicy detailing for polishers .
Dodo juice sell branded polishers as well .
I bourght a 900w polisher and kit a couple of years ago for something like £130 .
I would always buy the more powerful 8-900w polishers , not the 5-600w ones

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I use THIS ONE, and I know that lots of others do too. Not the cheapest but an excellent bit of kit.

I bought mine with the Meguiars kit but I wasn't over happy with the polish which came with it, or the finish I was getting so I changed to a couple of Blackfire products. I still use the Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads which came with the kit, though added a green one as a sort of intermediate which works well, especially on the 190E.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I use THIS ONE, and I know that lots of others do too. Not the cheapest but an excellent bit of kit.

I bought mine with the Meguiars kit but I wasn't over happy with the polish which came with it, or the finish I was getting so I changed to a couple of Blackfire products. I still use the Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads which came with the kit, though added a green one as a sort of intermediate which works well, especially on the 190E.
Oh yeah , that's actually the same one I've got , as you say it's good quality

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok, Thanks all,

A DAS 6 PRo it is then......though I think I will wait for the better weather.

Thanks again

Regards TEDFRED

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That eBay link is misleading, it appears to be the polisher but when you click "see all details" it's actually for 3 pads. OK, you'll need to buy pads to go with whichever polisher you buy, but chances are you'll be able to buy a package of polisher and apds etc rather than buying them individually. Just an example, probably see similar on other suppliers :
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint-correction/polishing-machines/dual-action-polishers

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It beats me as to what these people think they have to gain from doing this, it just winds people up and tends to drive them away. I'm not a business man however so; what do I know?

Out of interest having clay barred this car last year then applied Meguiar's Compound, Meguiar's Polish then God knows how much Snake oil in spray bottles; do I now have to go back and clay bar it again before restarting the whole process with a orbital Sander? Or can I just apply polish over the top of all that is already on it?

Regards

TEDFRED

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Just make sure it's clean, no need to clay it if it's recently been done.

The polisher will remove all that's irrelevant for you.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd be tempted to decontaminate with Iron-X or similar first, as brake dust particles could still be present and will not be removed by just washing - so could be picked up by the DA and cause microscratches when you're trying to remove them.

Personally, all I've read about paint correcting says preparation is critical, so before going to the expense and work of the DA I'd decontaminate and clay bar first, as in my first reply on this thread. Only then will you really be able to see how much work is needed. Also there are now so many newer products for the polish and shine - think nano, ceramic etc. rather than just polish, wax and sealant!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
What he said^^^^^^I'm worse than a woman with all my beauty products

....some of my collection & have added to it since these photos. Third pic shows DA in bag and Snow Foam Gun on upper shelf. Recenty purchased a pressure wash hoes extension and purchasing a water filter this week.
IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Hell's flames!... what a collection, and I thought I was splashing out on a bottle of Autoglym polish!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My garage is almost as bad as Rory's - most of it now redundant as my health now precludes the effort required to do the detailing I used to do on my cars!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Good Evening All,

The one in Halfrauds costs about £80 and there is a whole host of them with varying reviews on Amazon but does anyone have a favorite electric polisher?
Are they worth buying and can they produce such a superior finish that they justify their cost??

Any thoughts?

Regards as ever to all,

Tedfred

I went with the makita. But you need the 5” backing pad. Std. 6” is only good for applying wax.
Used the least agressive final 3M polish ..
Really made the clear coat shine, with virtually zero reduction in clear-coat thickness.
Very pleased.

With the right zero abrasive pad sure speeds up applying Collonite wax , 4 months later still beads and easy to Re polish or wash.

Definetly need to clay it before machine polish.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I bought one of these a few years ago as I got a deal from Meguiars when they had a 'how to demo' and trade stand at Porsche owners club meeting.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars...911995?hash=item1a78a0297b:g:iXkAAOSw43pcklkW
Two things that if they're not obvious or haven't been mentioned you should be aware of, put what ever product you are using on the pad and place it on the surface of the car before starting the polisher of you'll be cleaning it off everything around you. Also never let a cutting compound dry whilst using as it can put more scratches in than you're trying to take out and can actually burn the surface. Cutting compound, according to the Meguairs, should be removed before it dries out so if needs be on larger areas such as the bonnet do half or a quarter of the panel at a time. :)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When using my DA I have a spray bottle of water to hand for precisely that reason! Needs a few spritzes to keep the compound wet. You're also correct about putting the DA on the panel before turning it on (and until it stops when you turn it off - another "ask me how I know" moment!!:D:D

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
What he said^^^^^^I'm worse than a woman with all my beauty products

....some of my collection & have added to it since these photos. Third pic shows DA in bag and Snow Foam Gun on upper shelf. Recenty purchased a pressure wash hoes extension and purchasing a water filter this week.
View attachment 48996 View attachment 48997 View attachment 48998

I have a similar collection of unctions. I seem better at buying them, than applying them. They all do good things to the appearance of my car, but they all involve labour. I like it to look shiny, but best of all I like driving it.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I have a similar collection of unctions. I seem better at buying them, than applying them. They all do good things to the appearance of my car, but they all involve labour. I like it to look shiny, but best of all I like driving it.

I get bored with my products and always want to try the latest and greatest - I wish manufacturers would supply a 1 treatment sized pack so that we did not have to commit to larger sizes.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom