Car takes awhile to start when it’s cold

Michael Williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK220/2007
Hi,
I’m new to the forum and I’m hoping someone can help with a problem with my car, it’s a clk220 diesel 2007.
when it’s cold and you turn the key to start the car, literally nothing happens. Won’t even try to turn over. You have to turn the ignition on (one click before turning over) and leave it for about 5 minutes... longer sometimes depending on how cold it is. And eventually it will turn over.
It’s been to 2 garages and they don’t know what’s causing it. I’m thinking maybe it’s a sensor that’s not working? It’s got a brand new battery so I know it’s not that.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike

Stu Evans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E Class E350 CDI Sport 2013 / CLK 200 Kompressor
Hi,
I’m new to the forum and I’m hoping someone can help with a problem with my car, it’s a clk220 diesel 2007.
when it’s cold and you turn the key to start the car, literally nothing happens. Won’t even try to turn over. You have to turn the ignition on (one click before turning over) and leave it for about 5 minutes... longer sometimes depending on how cold it is. And eventually it will turn over.
It’s been to 2 garages and they don’t know what’s causing it. I’m thinking maybe it’s a sensor that’s not working? It’s got a brand new battery so I know it’s not that.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike
How cold is it? Just a thought but there was a temperature sensor in the tank. Maybe the diesel is waxing and its saying it can't start at that temperature. Just trying to think if it gives an indicator. You could try pull an odb2 code when it's active. A few normal starts probably clears it though.

Someone might have more experience on this?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Michael Williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK220/2007
Hi,
If it’s like -1 then it might take 5/10 minutes to start. I’ve been looking at other posts and I’m wondering if it’s the ECT sensor that’s at fault

Stu Evans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E Class E350 CDI Sport 2013 / CLK 200 Kompressor
Hi,
If it’s like -1 then it might take 5/10 minutes to start. I’ve been looking at other posts and I’m wondering if it’s the ECT sensor that’s at fault
Question. Did you ever try removing the fuel cap when it does it? Thinking back to when I had a fuel filter problem I could get it to start if I removed the cap.

Don't ask me why but it did.

Also is it worse if your tank is full or empty?

Do you have a scanner plug?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Confused :confused:....when you say "turn over" do you mean crank, or start ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Just because it's a brand new battery doesn't mean it's now fully charged , have you been doing very short runs that may have failed to recharge it ?
Does the glow plug light come on and then go out again after a few seconds ?
Was the car running without faults before this happened (with good service history ? )

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi,

when it’s cold and you turn the key to start the car, literally nothing happens.
Mike

you could help by defining this more clearly...

when you turn the key you have NO lights on the dash?

or

do you mean the dash lights come on, they go through the self test procedures and some go out as usual, the orange glow plug one comes on and goes out quickly (or after xxx seconds).... but then when I turn to the cranking position nothing happens?

and even then, if / when NOTHING happens during cranking phase, are there any clicks, whirrs or action or 100% no change

if its cranking that doesn't happen with no strange noises... and some heating thing or such is happening, I would expect that to happen without needing to go as far as cranking position on the key. if so you could turn the key to run position, warm what ever for 10 mins, then on off cycle to refresh glow plugs and theoretically is should start straight away???

anyway after all that quick glance round the internet....

maybe not waxing but the fuel filter full of frozen water? (hence happening at warmish - low temps) and without fuel pressure the car won't crank.... for this to sort itself, I would expect the fuel filter to have the heater element that not all cars have. So if your has more than just fuel pipe connections at the fuel filter this could be somewhere to start.

no idea on yours, but my father e208 cdi w211 self primes by key on off cycle a few times when you have fitted a new filter.... (water in diesel fuel filter is common and NOT a good thing)

Last edited:

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Lateral thought... nothing to do with the gearbox (auto?) interlock?

Top Bottom