Caring for your car

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
Hi Carl. I hope you don't mind if I ask if you know anything about the Gard X treatment? I did a quick search of this site but didn't come up with much.

I got a freebie Gard X bag containing some product, when I purchased an approved used Merc. It would have been a "top up" kit as given to someone who had paid for the original treatment...

I used the stage 1 followed by the stage 2, as directed, and in truth I've been quite pleased with the result.

There's some fancy guff in the packaging about the two stages bonding together in a "nano style" way or whatever, and this may be true.

However, based purely on smell and consistency, my perception was that stage 1 (a clear liquid smelling a bit like panel-wipe) is some kind of solvent to clear off any previous wax or polish and stage 2 (thick yellow cream with that carnauba wax smell) is just a decent wax.

There is also a third bottle the contents of which is heavily diluted in water and wiped over the freshly washed paintwork to top up the protective Gard X finish. The user is told to apply this to a clean wet car, rather than dry the paintwork first. It does seem to chase the water off the car...

I'd value your knowledge and/or thoughts about this.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I've never personally come across the treatment.

From what I gather it is as follows (so as you mentioned)

Stage 1 is a paint cleanser (a bit like Dodo Juice Lime Prime if you've ever heard of it). So it will remove a lot of stuff normal washing with soap won't. But it will only be stuff like bug splats, tree sap, polish oils etc. I can't comment on your specific variety having not used it but I'd be surprised if it removed much more. This then makes the paint a cleaner surface for a better bond for stage 2.

Stage 2 is then their equivalent of a decent wax. Having clean paintwork will enable it to perform at it's optimum level.

Stage 3 is basically a quick detailer and drying aid. This will speed up drying time and it probably adds a bit of a sacrificial layer for protection and longevity of stage 2.

To be honest though, and I say this to everyone who asks, ANY wax will give you a good result if the car has been prepared properly. It is only there as a sacrificial layer to protect the polished surface. The differences between them are hydrophobic properties, longevity and resistance to normal washing chemicals. The other factor to consider is ease of application. Waxes can be a mare for some people as they often use too much, this then causes residue and streaks to be left behind. So they prefer sealants or more forgiving waxes.

So I've no doubt that Gard-X will be doing a good job on the car. It's just worth remembering that the look is never in the final coating. It's all in the preparation. Once you have prepared the car properly if you keep up a good maintenance wash routine and keep on top of the protection then the car will remain looking good for a long time after.

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That all makes sense. Thanks for taking the time, Carl.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
I'm having one of my cars fully wet sanded to remove the worst of the orange peel that seems to be a no cost option these days. It's drastic but worthwhile.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I'm having one of my cars fully wet sanded to remove the worst of the orange peel that seems to be a no cost option these days. It's drastic but worthwhile.

You're doing well to get a wet sand done as a no cost option! Your usually looking at few thousand £'s to do that.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
LOL. It's the orange peel that is free not the process to remove it. Wish it was!!

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I know I was taking the proverbial. ;)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just a quick update on the Sonax Carl - am impressed, good find!

Having been away the last few weeks, the car had been a bit neglected, and well used!

Had an early start this week so thought I'd make the most of it and give it a quick wash, dry and wipe over with the Sonax - first time I was able to with some decent cloud cover (rather than baking conditions).

The car really gleamed, it had a nice deep gloss once done.

2 people have commented on it, and it is beading superbly in the current downpours!

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Tis good stuff. Glad you managed to put it to use at last.

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cleaning/refreshing the area below the windscreen

I'm talking about the exterior of the car, just below where the wipers park.

My car is over 10 years old and this area is as much grey as black.

Anyone know if there is there a recommended way of getting this looking new again? I've tried Autoglym Vinyl care/cleaner, but I think it's meant more for the interior? In any case once it has dried there is no improvement...

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
I'm talking about the exterior of the car, just below where the wipers park.

My car is over 10 years old and this area is as much grey as black.

Anyone know if there is there a recommended way of getting this looking new again? I've tried Autoglym Vinyl care/cleaner, but I think it's meant more for the interior? In any case once it has dried there is no improvement...

Autoglym bumper gel should work
Britemax solution finish is supposed to be one of the best for faded plastics

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I'm trying to work out what this 'detailing' stuff is, is it a polish or something, must be having a blonde moment.

We used to get the Merc cleaned inside and out but now Keith is retired we can't really afford to waste money on something we can do ourselves. Having said that neither car has been cleaned since Keith had his knee done, so both are pretty dirty ;)

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
To get an idea if the Back-to-black-type-product is any good, stick your finger in the bottle, getting it nice and black....

Then go and try top wash it off. If it comes off easily, it's rubbish, if you're stuck with it for a couple of weeks it's good stuff!

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To get an idea if the Back-to-black-type-product is any good, stick your finger in the bottle, getting it nice and black....

Then go and try top wash it off. If it comes off easily, it's rubbish, if you're stuck with it for a couple of weeks it's good stuff!

Will Halfords let me do that?

Seriously though, point taken...

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011

But a lot of the restorers aren't black, and definitely don't leave black marks on your finger

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
If you're referring to the plastic under the wipers at the base of the windscreen then Gtechniq C1, C4 or C5 (all the same product) will do the job and lasts 2yrs plus.

Example of what it's like.

fecb9aec08e4ecf31e462f9371ce8072.jpg

On my previous C-Class

b617f809321a03ee0affe89fc7eb25be.jpg

Last edited:

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks to Crash1 and Carl in particular for their replies.

Might just be swayed on choice by the very convincing before and after pics, Carl...

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I contacted a high end detailer yesterday, he quoted me £900 for the fully Monte. I've read C350Carl's instructions and ordered all the products mentioned. I just hope I can do all the hard work - I'm going to give it a try.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I contacted a high end detailer yesterday, he quoted me £900 for the fully Monte. I've read C350Carl's instructions and ordered all the products mentioned. I just hope I can do all the hard work - I'm going to give it a try.
Wow , way to go buddy . Can you do some before and after pics for those of us who like that sort of thing :D . Let's hear what you ordered as well . (Dodo juice lime prime is excellent stuff at the pre wax stage )

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

Let us know how you get on. Be good to see how you do. Just remember to take your time and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom