Case study - OM651 turbo fault

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I don't often have time for this sort of thing, but I'm away to the Lake District on Friday, so have run the work down at the shop this week. I have had an entertaining one Monday/Tuesday so thought I'd share it...

The car came from a mechanic up the road. He's pretty good normally, but just goes to show that anyone can make a mistake. Tidy 204 estate with 37,000 miles on it came in with limp mode. He scanned it with a snap on machine which reported "boost pressure too low, check turbocharger". Well don't ask me why, but he merrily trotted off down the garden path laid for him by mssrs Snap and Off, and replaced the turbo. Twin charge unit, Christ knows how much! He also fractured the oil supply pipe - beware, when you remove the pipe support bolt from the turbo it does become very fragile... Anyway, I digress.. Of course, when rebuilt the car was exactly as before, hence it was dropped on my doorstep.

Immediately I could sense a bit of a hiss on the left side of the engine and conducted some tests with Star. Engine revved up and down for a bit and Star reported a boost leak. Quelle surprise! Star then suggested a test with a bit of fancy merc kit which I don't have, but I do have a smoker. Test revealed a lovely plume of smoke from under the inlet manifold. Well, I assume manifold but you can't even see it!
First things first, ring Cole and see if he has ever seen this before, 'cos it's a new one on me! No joy, he's never seen one either... Cue four hours of stripping to discover one manifold bolt sheared in the head, probably like that from new...
4C24CBD1-AD80-443F-A550-4D8A9583AA21.jpg

Here it is, close up
2A1FE587-D440-45A2-B9C2-FAA80D0C054B.jpg

Hot gasses from egr had eroded the plastic behind the gasket and pushed through the underside of the manifold
0A21BBE1-FCEE-427C-9A2B-10FB3DC081CA.jpg

B82F6156-D7CC-4223-A3F3-E822AD37541D.jpg

Because of the location, drilling out the broken stud was looking doubtful, so I used an old mechanics trick of holding a washer over the broken bit and welding through onto the stud. Tack a nut onto the washer, and simply unscrew.
C42843C1-4C6E-4058-A6BB-684091C8684B.jpg

FEEA90BF-24E7-4BD7-877F-88F56E0021FC.jpg

New manifold arrived today, at vast expense. Five hours later it was all rebuilt, teach-in of new swirl flap motor, refill coolant and road test. All golden on a beautiful sunny day!!

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
these 651 engines certainly seem to be showing their share of faults. i realise this may be a 1 off but still, it doesnt make for good reading, if you were looking at buying one at 10+ years old like many people do!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Lots of work there but great to see the final fix was good, just feel a little sorry for the owner with all the expense hopefully he will have many happy miles from now on.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Oh dear, looks like I have dropped this in the wrong forum. Perhaps some kind soul would rectify my mistake?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Yep a common failure, seen it a few times now. The bolts aren't available seperately from MB, they only come with the manifold???? They are available on the Internet, so replacement of manifold is not always necessary.

Last edited:
OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Yep a common failure, seen it a few times now. The bolts aren't available seperately from MB, they only come with the manifold???? They are available on the Internet, so replacement of manifold is not always necessary.

fixed into it, don't remove. Often this type of captive bolt will screw out of the sleeve, but not these ones.

I didn't think it would be an isolated case...

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Was the burn hole caused by the snapped stud or in a different area? Good spot by the way.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Was the burn hole caused by the snapped stud or in a different area? Good spot by the way.

Burn hole just beside the broken stud. Gasses had burned through the back of the groove the gasket sits in. The material must be very thin there.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Just another notch for how bad the 651 engine really is........

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes

I enjoy our regular chat about them not being like the old days. I must sound like a broken record! :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

ive had this debate with a guy online recently. no idea where he is from but he claims he has NEVER seen a timing chain issue on a 651! i asked him where he had been hiding all these years!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I enjoy our regular chat about them not being like the old days. I must sound like a broken record! :D

We prob sound like two old guys down the pub taking about the good old days.......:twisted::twisted:

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
ive had this debate with a guy online recently. no idea where he is from but he claims he has NEVER seen a timing chain issue on a 651! i asked him where he had been hiding all these years!

I have not had to change one yet

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Apparently this manifold issue is common with the commercial merc techs who look after sprinters all day long. But I suppose they clock up miles at a much faster rate!!!!!
Always good to see these threads
Cheers Uncle Benz !

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I have not had to change one yet

I've seen two with worn chain and cam sprockets, but I'll be honest and tell you I haven't repaired one myself. In the first case the owner took the car back to Mercedes and they fixed it, either for free or with a large contribution, I forget which. Based on that I sent the other customer off down the same road. I didn't hear back how that one went.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've seen two with worn chain and cam sprockets, but I'll be honest and tell you I haven't repaired one myself. In the first case the owner took the car back to Mercedes and they fixed it, either for free or with a large contribution, I forget which. Based on that I sent the other customer off down the same road. I didn't hear back how that one went.

all the same, i think we all agree that on what is, supposedly at least, a premium quality brand, these issues shouldnt really be occurring at all! Ford/Peugeot can make timing belts run in OIL and STILL last over 100k miles (change interval is recommended at 125k on mine for example) and yet MB are having troubles with chains/gears at sub 100k miles.

something isnt right somewhere!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom