Cash-strapped councils to fine motorists for minor offences

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
A warning from Petrol Prices says:

Local councils strapped for cash, are seeking new ways to generate money and want more powers to fine motorists for road offences.

Some politicians are questioning whether we should give local authorities increased power to fine drivers and take this from the Police.

- Most of us knew that the Safety Cameras were cleverly designed government cash tills - so what's next?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ I find it very ironic the council is resorting to this when every year, without fail, they award themselves inflation busting pay rises.
Very easy to do when they hold the purse strings of public money.

It seems its always the same when cuts have to be made, the motorist is the target to meet the shortfall.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Increased parking charges. Increased parking fines. Congestion zones. Traffic light infringement fines. There’s no end to the fun!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And once again the soft target of the motorist gets hit.
How about enforcing litter laws and fining those throwing stuff in the streets, or here's a novel idea... Fix the potholes before they get 20 claims in for damaged wheels.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
"It seems its always the same when cuts have to be made, the motorist is the target to meet the shortfall"
No change there then..

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
A little off topic but reading in the local rag only 5 local councils have taken up the government incentive for grants to instal electric chargers. They would receive £7.5k per unit but the councils think they are not viable.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
A little off topic but reading in the local rag only 5 local councils have taken up the government incentive for grants to instal electric chargers. They would receive £7.5k per unit but the councils think they are not viable.
Tell that to Milton Keynes!!!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
And once again the soft target of the motorist gets hit.
How about enforcing litter laws and fining those throwing stuff in the streets, or here's a novel idea... Fix the potholes before they get 20 claims in for damaged wheels.

How many times do you have to be told!

Common sense is not and will not be tolerated when it comes to public spending! Anyone would think it's your money they're wasting....

:p

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Increased parking charges. Increased parking fines. Congestion zones. Traffic light infringement fines. There’s no end to the fun!

in 15 yrs in france i have yet to pay to park anywhere i have been ,different attitude, why would they want to impliment something that might stop you going to shop. same at hospitals, my french friends say , how can you be forced to pay to park,at a publicly owned facility ! dont you as a taxpayer already own it!!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
in 15 yrs in france i have yet to pay to park anywhere i have been ,different attitude, why would they want to impliment something that might stop you going to shop. same at hospitals, my french friends say , how can you be forced to pay to park,at a publicly owned facility ! dont you as a taxpayer already own it!!!

The rather subtle difference is whilst we might pay for it we don't in the fullest sense own it.

Our public sector is "owned" by faceless un-elected bureaucrats who promote from a self serving like minded clique to perpetuate their control.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
We have free parking everywhere in Daventry. Funnily enough the town centre is nice and busy.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have free parking everywhere in Daventry. Funnily enough the town centre is nice and busy.
I’d say the same about MK but as there’s no centre.....

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The councils are moving to a full open market capitalist system where everything and anything is a potential revenue earner.

It is as much about public service as Tesco are.

The people in charge are often out of their depths in the open market, multi-million pound contracts are awarded by people who's personal lives revolve around the minutiae of which HP deal to get for their washing machine yet they get to "work" and make life changing decisions for all of us.

Trying to explain the nuances of excessive parking charges on the psychology of potential shoppers is akin to banging your head against a mattress.

My most effective but still failed analogy was asking how busy a poor pub would be if it charged an entrance fee.

The answer I got was that the charge was less than the price of a pint, I tried to explain that people weren't buying the pint but stopped as I realised I was wasting oxygen.

OP
davemercedes

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

We used to regularly go down the west coast - really like Les Sable d'Olonne... I was maneuvering my camper van backward into a tight space when a WPC (there are NO traffic wardens) walked over and guided me in to the space. Then she chatted before going on her way.

As they say: Vive la difference!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

and thats why. its busy. in chippenham when the centre traders complained that all the bussiness was going to out of town shops guess what the council response was. ok well we will charge for parking there as well then.......

Last edited:

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
All this just reminds me how I miss the politics forum, sites not the same without it.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Before we got the caravan, we had a motorhome. We went all over the place in it, using aire du camping car / restplatz and wild camping for years.

In France the aires are free or very low cost, camping municipal are cheap, but excellent. Most towns & villages have aires. Welcome / bienvenue, come in visit our shops, cafes, restaurants, buy local, and come again.

In the UK, oi feck orf with that overheight, too big for the overpriced parking bay. We'll fine you for everything. Don't bother coming back.

We did a few trips when our daughter was in her pram, pitching up at a campsite and using local busses. In Norfolk we were at the bus stop, bus arrived, driver got off, helped wife get daughter aboard, put pram in underfloor store. At destination helped wife get off with baby, set up pram. Excellent.

Couple of weeks later in cornwall, waited at bus stop outside campsite, the only stop on the the route to Polperro. Bus pulls up, driver snarls at us 'you can't put that thing in the bus' we found out that 'thing' was the pram. Happy holidays. We've not been back to Polperro since.

OP
davemercedes

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom