Catalytic converter theft

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Several neighbours of mine have suffered theft of their catalytic converters. The main targets seem to be: Toyota Prius, Honda Jazz - and SUVs with high ground clearance. I understand, from police sources, that the process of cutting and removal can take as little as 90 seconds, with the appropriate tools.

I am just wondering whether anyone here has had their MB converter stolen and, also, whether my car (C205 coupe) could be vulnerable. I rang my local MB dealer and the girl on the service desk had never even heard of catalytic converter theft.... which I actually found oddly reassuring!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Several neighbours of mine have suffered theft of their catalytic converters. The main targets seem to be: Toyota Prius, Honda Jazz - and SUVs with high ground clearance. I understand, from police sources, that the process of cutting and removal can take as little as 90 seconds, with the appropriate tools.

I am just wondering whether anyone here has had their MB converter stolen and, also, whether my car (C205 coupe) could be vulnerable. I rang my local MB dealer and the girl on the service desk had never even heard of catalytic converter theft.... which I actually found oddly reassuring!

Its common on the Vito's etc, as they have such easy access, I see many with big cables and cages securing them in.

It depends on what engine model you have, but it could be quite difficult depending...

OP
Carabosse

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The engine is (I think) the M274.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500

Yea, it's crazy! I saw a video recently of a couple of brazen lads pull up in daylight. One of the guys was standing guard with a machete while the other did the deed.
Actually this one :shock:

OP
Carabosse

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As its transverse, it would be quite difficult to cut out as its right at the outlet of the turbo. I think you have nothing to worry about.

The M274 is longitudinally-mounted, not transverse (that's the M270).

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
I'd like to see these morons come across an SAS guy who would beat the crap out the lot of them. This game is still going on today on many makes of car.Are the covers fitted to many Mercs exhaust system a deterrent. Even worse, if a car happens to have top notch security cameras on board, with Covid-19 these wasters just turn up fully masked with yellow jackets on:mad:.

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yea, it's crazy! I saw a video recently of a couple of brazen lads pull up in daylight. One of the guys was standing guard with a machete while the other did the deed.
Actually this one :shock:

Someone needs to come along with a sledge hammer and whack that jack right away from car.Biggest joke is, in this country it would be the person reasonably protecting their own property who got jailed.Not the thieve who no doubt would be happy to stick a knife in someone trying to do this.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic

Girls on the service desk probably never heard of a catalytic converter

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On many MB cars the cat is attached to the exhaust manifold for rapid warm up making it very hard to get to. M112 and M113 you also need to remove the undershields. Secondary cats are more vulnerable but never heard of any being taken.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
This is what you need, do away with the alarm and just electrocute the barstewards!

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks everyone on my concerns on Catalytic converter theft. Hopefully this tie i will be safer. I know they did a row of Merc vans in brad daylight. Love the vid of the guying giving them the shock of their lives:D

I an assuming the alarm tilt centre may go off ,only thing is, i wont be rushing out to confront these nice 'people'.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom