CB Radio advice required.

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 C Class 1.8 C180 Kompressor 2 door (auto)
Having been retired a number of years I'm thinking of giving CB radio a go again (like many others, I was last 'on the rig' back in the 80s, but eventually came off when it became unuseable because of the misuse by idiots). However after some research about the current state of affairs, I think it's a goer again.

So, I don't want to get into debating whether it's a worthwhile pastime or about any issues regarding regulations etc, I just want advice on a basic question.

Will the 12v accessory socket in my car (see profile) be suitable to handle the power drain from an export model CB radio? (ie, one with more transmitted power than the current legal amount permits). So I'm talking about side band rigs which also cover the UK 40 FM.

Your help as always wil be much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave B.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes. But you'll find the airwaves pretty quiet.
I used to have CB in my Defender as a means of talking to others I was out with but almost never heard anyone else.

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes. But you'll find the airwaves pretty quiet.
I used to have CB in my Defender as a means of talking to others I was out with but almost never heard anyone else.

Yes, thanks for that LostKiwi. I understand the apathy that has developed over the years for the hobby, but I have done some research locally and have learned it's quite active again in my locale. Here's hoping anyway! :)

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
12v will be more than adequate to handle something a bit more substantial than a standard 40 channel rig.

I used to run a Ham International Multimode 2 back when all was illegal. Upper side/Lower side giving 120 channels AM or FM, with a +/- 4.5 Khz switch for fine tuning. This was plugged into the cigar lighter in a Leyland Marathon II (12v) and also worked just fine in whatever cars I had at the time.

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
12v will be more than adequate to handle something a bit more substantial than a standard 40 channel rig.

I used to run a Ham International Multimode 2 back when all was illegal. Upper side/Lower side giving 120 channels AM or FM, with a +/- 4.5 Khz switch for fine tuning. This was plugged into the cigar lighter in a Leyland Marathon II (12v) and also worked just fine in whatever cars I had at the time.

Thanks for that Daveenty. So it's safe to assume you were running a bit of power out of that rig?

Obviously I'm trying to think of the car when enquiring about these things, and save myself from possible expensive repairs. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Accessories sockets tend to fused at 10A or 15A. That gives you 120-180W of power consumption to play with.
I'd be very surprised if you used more than half that.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
one four for a copy :)

That takes me back!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Thanks for that Daveenty. So it's safe to assume you were running a bit of power out of that rig?

Obviously I'm trying to think of the car when enquiring about these things, and save myself from possible expensive repairs. :)

As it was over 35 years ago I can't exactly remember sorry... (Can't find an "embarrassed" smiley)

Nigel Hewitt

Reaction score
Website
www.nigelhewitt.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300/W212/2014/2L Diesel Hybrid (Also a Honda CBR1000RA Fireblade)
I used to have ham radio in the car but haven't bothered in years.
For the high power rig I had a separate battery rigged as a 'caravan' supply so it was charged as I drove (or idled) but left the car battery intact to start the engine at the end of the day. I doubt you'd want that sort of rubbish just for CB.
I think the magic of ham radio faded when talking to somebody miles away wasn't special because the phone in your pocket did it better. Sad really.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The plus side to CB radio is that it's legal to use while driving without being handsfree... :D

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Accessories sockets tend to fused at 10A or 15A. That gives you 120-180W of power consumption to play with.
I'd be very surprised if you used more than half that.

Thanks LostKiwi, that sounds encouraging. I'm trying to find more info about the 12v socket, and what it's capable of. Rather than go out to the car where it's freezing outside, I'm trying to suss out where the fuse is located online, haha!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The socket is designed to run a cigar lighter which when heating up is a very high current draw. It'll be fine with a CB

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For the high power rig I had a separate battery rigged as a 'caravan' supply so it was charged as I drove (or idled) but left the car battery intact to start the engine at the end of the day. I doubt you'd want that sort of rubbish just for CB.
I think the magic of ham radio faded when talking to somebody miles away wasn't special because the phone in your pocket did it better. Sad really.

Thanks for that Nigel (and to everyone else for their interest and comments).

Nice to know you're a licenced Ham. I have my late Dad to blame for originally getting me interested in radio (he was also a Ham, call sign G4LEW), and now I'm getting the itch again. I agree about technology making the hobby seem somewhat superfluous, but I think there's still a certain challenge to be had in communicating by radio, or some nostalgic fun anyway. All noted about the way you solved the problem with the extra battery. Back in the day when cars were simpler (and without power sockets), I thought nothing of connecting direct to the battery and running a power lead through the bulkhead, but I'm loathe to mess with my recent acquisition in that way, haha!

I might just curb my ambitions to get a multimode rig as a starter radio, and try a less expensive 80 channel CB with just the 4 watts of transmit power. But I'll research a bit more before I jump.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Most offroaders have cb,s so they can chat with each other while on the move etc..
Its extremely rare to come across anyone else online though...
Modern cb radios are very small now and after lots of googling don't seem to be any better or worse than the 1980s sets...

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
I was one of the SLAB members.

Geezuz ........... we did some seriously funny stuff back then.

Thanks for joggin the old brain box back to some memories I thought had been forgotten.
:)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I used to listed on Top Band to the local mobiles back in the 60's.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
446MHZ is the current licence free radio band, there are 10 channels. Used commercially & privately.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very low power though. 0.5W if memory serves.
Yes correct, good for up to a mile in open spaces.
A few years back I had a mag mount 3DB gain whip on the roof. Working to another with the same antenna, it was good for 5 miles.

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was one of the SLAB members.

Geezuz ........... we did some seriously funny stuff back then.

Thanks for joggin the old brain box back to some memories I thought had been forgotten.
:)

Thanks for chipping in Westheath, and I agree, it was great fun in the early days (before that Christmas when CBs were bought as presents for all the little brats! haha!)

73's to you good buddy! :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom