CD changer issue - r230

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi

I have a CD changer in my SL500 which seemed to work when I picked it up. Since ejecting the cartridge and adding my own discs it gets stuck on "Magazine Scan' on the main display.

The cartridge ejects fine but doesn't seem to load the CDs - you can hear maybe 1 being loaded but not the noises you get when 6 are being scanned. I tried using the cartridge from my BMW as they are the same bit no joy.

I'm hoping there is something simple that I can try as I don't fancy trying to get the cd changer out.

Any ideas??

Cheers

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
The discs you have loaded, are they pre-recorded discs, or recorded, MP3 files etc.?

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
Had similar problems in my 2005 CLK, so perhaps the same model changer?

Mine came out after removing one screw on LHS in the roof of the glovebox; being careful to unplug the unit.

My problem symptom was the same as yours, plus sometimes the CD cartridge refusing to eject. I had hoped it might be a slipping belt or something straightforward that I could fix. Beware the "brute force and ignorance" school of repair, there are some quite delicate parts that could get bent out of shape and make things worse.

My choices seemed to be to buy another changer from Ebay (beware there are similar ones with different MB model numbers, mine is a MC3330) or to have mine repaired.

In the end I had mine repaired. I found the service on Ebay also and it cost about the same as a secondhand changer, around £70. The tray loading motor was changed and the laser pickup serviced also. Has worked without fault for 18 months now.

It wouldn't be my choice, but apparently as an alternative you can get something that replaces the changer and allows an iPhone to play through the COMAND. The experts on here will be able to advise if you are interested...

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi,
The discs you have loaded, are they pre-recorded discs, or recorded, MP3 files etc.?

They are genuine, shop bought ones. Having said that, the first one that played was a MP3 one and that played fine.

Cheers

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Had similar problems in my 2005 CLK, so perhaps the same model changer?

Mine came out after removing one screw on LHS in the roof of the glovebox; being careful to unplug the unit.

My problem symptom was the same as yours, plus sometimes the CD cartridge refusing to eject. I had hoped it might be a slipping belt or something straightforward that I could fix. Beware the "brute force and ignorance" school of repair, there are some quite delicate parts that could get bent out of shape and make things worse.

My choices seemed to be to buy another changer from Ebay (beware there are similar ones with different MB model numbers, mine is a MC3330) or to have mine repaired.

In the end I had mine repaired. I found the service on Ebay also and it cost about the same as a secondhand changer, around £70. The tray loading motor was changed and the laser pickup serviced also. Has worked without fault for 18 months now.

It wouldn't be my choice, but apparently as an alternative you can get something that replaces the changer and allows an iPhone to play through the COMAND. The experts on here will be able to advise if you are interested...

Thanks. I did try the brute force approach - hitting it with a screwdriver as that trick worked with my BMW CD changer, but no luck. I don't have a problem with it ejecting the cartridge, it just doesn't seem to want to select the discs in turn and read them. So the changer side of things seems to be causing the problem.

Interesting re the Ebay approach - did you have o remove the cd changer and send it off or did you take it somewhere?

Also, you don't remember who did the repair do you?

Cheers

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
There's not much to go wrong with the cartridge. If the loading process is sticking at the first disc you could swap trays from say slots 5 and 1 just to see if that works. Or you could just leave one tray in say position 3. They do just pull out. I doubt this is the problem though

I removed and posted the changer as the repair guy was way down south from me - South London / Kent, from memory.

Can't now find the paperwork. I think the Company was called Blue Ice...

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks. Think I've found the guy on Ebay so will try that. Will try your idea of removing some of the slots first. I agree, there isn't anything wrong with the cartridge (or very unlikely) and the problem lies with the unit itself.

Cheers

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Quick update - tried the slots in the magazine (as in removing them, swopping them around) but no joy.

The Blue Ice guy doesn't seem active anymore so have looked on ebay for someone else to see if they can help. Bit annoying really - don't really use the CD changer in my old car very much bu I do like to know that it works for the times I do want to use it.

Will keep digging and see what else I can turn up in terms of a fix.
Cheers

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Bal....PM Malcolm (Television), he may be able to assist and is a bit of a wizz on electronic stuff.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Bal....PM Malcolm (Television), he may be able to assist and is a bit of a wizz on electronic stuff.

Good call - have dropped him a line.

Cheers and hope all is well with you and your SL.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Good call - have dropped him a line.

Cheers and hope all is well with you and your SL.

Thanks, my SL is doing just dandy :D. Had her out for a run today and put the convenience battery on charge, replaced the wiper blades and she's now back in the garage ready for the horrible weather we are supposed to be getting this week.:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There are several ways that these can stop, when they will not eject the micro switches need to be cleaned, if it is loading OK but it just goes to disc to disc the laser pick up might need cleaning. It is possible to fot a new head if the needs be the case.

If running on the d2b system you can get a card player that is very small and takes the place of the CD player, they cost about £225 I believe, they will also take a USB.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks Malcolm

The car has a MOST system. I've found someone that can repair the unit, and its quite local to me which is a bonus. Now I need some decent instructions to enable me to remove it from the car!

The guy I spoke to seemed to know the problems I was describing and is confident they can be fixed too.

I think for the price of a different unit that 'emulates' the CD changer, I'll keep the CD changer - at least for now. Especially as I've discovered how the system handles MP3 DVD discs.

If I can get the unit out of the car ok and then repaired and back in then I'll let everyone know / share the details of the repairer in case it can help anyone else.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To get the changer out.

Lift up and off the nearside sill
Remove the screws from cover on top corner cover.
Pull the draft excluder forwards.
Pull front cover off in front of CD
remove screw from side panel.
Ease in the 2 plastic clips at the top and lift the side panel out.
You must now remove screws from top cover on CD changer and lift off
Then remove the CD after removing the screws from the bracket holding it.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
To get the changer out.

Lift up and off the nearside sill
Remove the screws from cover on top corner cover.
Pull the draft excluder forwards.
Pull front cover off in front of CD
remove screw from side panel.
Ease in the 2 plastic clips at the top and lift the side panel out.
You must now remove screws from top cover on CD changer and lift off
Then remove the CD after removing the screws from the bracket holding it.

Thanks Malcolm. Will give it a bash when its dry and I'm feeling adventurous!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is one thing that I do when I am asleep :D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom