cd player

shrek37

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 td est 1988 avantgarde, astra est 1.3 td 6 speed 2006.
Hi All , my cd player wont play a copy my son made me yet it plays ok in every other cd player i have , is this normal or do i have a fault.

Cheers ash.:)

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Hi Ash

Older CD players have a problem with copied CDs and can't read them properly. Some play but skip and stutter, others just won't play the full stop.

I think it is the way that 'burning' a CD works. From what I understand, a copied CDs information is not as well defined as a real CD so the laser has trouble picking up the information. I had limited success by burning the CDs at a very slow speed, for use in my Alfa, but this was very hit and miss and I gave up in the end and used the originals in the car and the copies in the house.

Dave

OP
S

shrek37

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks

Thanks for that i will have to buy the real cds as the car stays till it dies.:)

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Or you could buy a new CD player which plays CDs and MP3s or even buy yourself an IPOD and connect to the stereo, this way you will never need to buy a new CD again

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hi Ash

Older CD players have a problem with copied CDs and can't read them properly. Some play but skip and stutter, others just won't play the full stop.

I think it is the way that 'burning' a CD works. From what I understand, a copied CDs information is not as well defined as a real CD so the laser has trouble picking up the information. I had limited success by burning the CDs at a very slow speed, for use in my Alfa, but this was very hit and miss and I gave up in the end and used the originals in the car and the copies in the house.

Dave

Sometimes it can also be the case when you burnt uncompatible files, For example, most factory stereo will only play files which are MP3 format and if you have burnt a CD with any other format music file, the CD player will just not going to read it

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
All of the MBs I've had seem to struggle playing some burnt CDRs and they certainly won't play CDRWs. (ie burnt as audio disks, not MP3 or audio data disks)

The MB CD players seem to be choosy about certain brands and what speed you burn the discs at.

OP
S

shrek37

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks

Ipod it is then and it was burnt as a music cd not mp3 or ipod all beyond me to understand.:d love my car so dont really care as as i said it will have to die before i let it go.:d:d

cheers

ash.

wright

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200, Transporter van
the reason it won't play is because it is an mp3 cd or a format that came into widespresd use after your cd player was made, if you want to make cds for your cd player try burning a disk using windows media player, and make sure you select the audio cd option, the data cd will make an mp3 cd.
it should work ive done this and it generally works, also it would do no harm putting a cd cleaning disk into the cd payer as the laser lens will have dust on it if its a few years old, i've fixed a few cd players just by cleaning the lens.

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
The Audio 10 unit my SLK wouldn't play copied discs (in 'audio' format) so I changed it for a head unit with a USB, AUX and SD card slot. Now I just load an SD card with mp3s.

I understand that a lot of the older MB head units have a problem with CD-R discs.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom