cdi engine in an older model

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
As the title suggests,ive had a brainwave and decided id like to put a 320 cdi into a 190 or similiar.Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

Im not worried about the engineering as im sure i can make it fit.Matters like the drive authorisation on the cdi ecu,is their companies that can take it off?Id be using the full electric 722.6 box so il have to wire that ecu in too aswell as link them together on can.

Has anyone seen or heard of it done?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Good luck with the many ECU,s, think your taking on one hell of a task,

Saying that!

If it works, what a quick car!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
on the face of it you`d need to install the rear hubs too, as the esp you would have to install needs two rear speed sensors, probably front suspension too for same reason. also steering angle sensor, yaw rate sensor, lateral acceleration sensor, brake servo and esp pump unit with seperate rear brake lines for each side. the cdi would only run on emergency program without esp you see, and the gearbox would not change gear. and ignition module of course. and gearstick module for cdi, esp and egs. and lots of wiring and ancillary relay modules.

there you go, that`s a bare minimum but let us know when you get that far.

unecessary sarcasm aside (sorry, yes, i have no friends) a 320cdi in a 190 would be extremely cool and i`d love to see it done. i do know a guy with a highly souped up 2.5 mercedes cosworth in an mg magnette...............

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The Engine is linked to the ECU, the ECU is linked to the DAS, the DAS is linked to the ignition switch,the ignition switch is linked to the gearbox ECU

Hang on it like that song :D:D

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
when explaining to a customer why it is that his/her faulty horn needs a new ignition module, or headlights that don`t turn off need a new sam unit or non operational cruise control needs a new wheel speed sensor etc etc their glazed expression tells me what is coming next.......

`they make cars too complicated these days don`t they`

always makes me smile. we want the mpg of a cdi engine, the smoothness of an egs g.box and the wonderful safety features of esp/abs/bas, not to mention h.lights and wipers that turn themselves on and the million and one other refinements. so yes, some cars are very complicated these days, but you can still buy simple ones...............

davoC220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C220 diesel elegance
i did see a link for that very thing, but it was all in german, if ur really interested il see if i can find the link, could be on any 1 of 3 mercedes sites i'm on tho, but wont be a problem to get

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
It's a great idea and one I've mulled over hundreds of times. I think that, in the absence of a purpose-built kit, it'd be too complex, too lengthy and too expensive for most people to complete

One of the options I considered was to use a 320 CDi engine with a stand-alone management system. I started looking at aftermarket diesel management systems capable of delivering multiple injection pulses, of variable-vane turbo control and of gearbox control and... I can't find one

Either you transplant all the sensors, ECUs, ignition switch, binnacle & etc and make it look electronically like a W210 320 CDi or you try another tack. Perhaps create a black box that fools the ECU into thinking it's in a W210 or find a third-party management system

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I have put a deisel engine into my 1992sl only because you can not buy a deisel sl works 100% but took a lot of hours to do,why not buy a 190/250d and fit a turbo to it this would make a fast economical car and would only take a few hours and not to much money to do, also you would not have to show receipts prove where the engine came from and have it inspected by the D.V.L.A. also problem insuring it. Hope this helps

OP

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
Thanksfor the replies,Definately something to think about.The standalone system would definately be the easiest option but if its not available i cant take that route,didnt really want to use the EIS etc.

It certainly would be a quick car thats for sure.Il let you know how i get on.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Are you looking at the straight 6 or the V6? As far as I recall the straight 6 did not fit into the earlier C class whereas the V 6 does.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that is a fair point. the 190 had a 2.6 straight six engine in, and that needed a special slam panel and radiator arrangement to give it enough room, a real pig to change a poly belt! the 613 engine would be even longer.

lets face it though, that's the least of the problems here!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
more feasable, but no turbo.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
isnt that the engine thats fitted to my e300turbodiesel?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes pete, but yours has the fly by wire and coded ecu etc. the original poster would have to go through swapping over loads of electronics - just like fitting the cdi engine.

if he used a w124 om606 that would be very simple to wire in, could use a 722.4 gearbox and would not be trying to can comm with other electronics.

having said all that the w124 om606 was available with a turbo in lhd variants. sadly the rhd steering box is right where the turbo and exhaust want to be, but i bet some company somewhere did a turbo conversion for rhd.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes pete, but yours has the fly by wire and coded ecu etc. the original poster would have to go through swapping over loads of electronics - just like fitting the cdi engine.

if he used a w124 om606 that would be very simple to wire in, could use a 722.4 gearbox and would not be trying to can comm with other electronics.

having said all that the w124 om606 was available with a turbo in lhd variants. sadly the rhd steering box is right where the turbo and exhaust want to be, but i bet some company somewhere did a turbo conversion for rhd.

so presumably theres something different about the 124 and the 210. could be the steering box as when i had the wheels off, mine appears to have a steering rack! if a suitable turbo engine from a 124 could be sourced, could the 124 not be converted to use a steering rack from a 210?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

would a cdi engine be a nightmare to fit to my car? i have thought about it, but when theres nothing too drastic wrong with mine, i leave it alone! just wondered how hard it would be!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
This guy has used the injector pump from a 603 engine, would that make it easier to wire in? I particularly like the fact he's running it on veg oil! :D

It seems to run OK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgtNtHWSOc4

Not sure I like his way of controlling the boost though.

Hmmm, OM606 engine, 603 injector pump and put the whole lot into a W140 CL. Would that work? I do need a project. :lol:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This guy has used the injector pump from a 603 engine, would that make it easier to wire in? I particularly like the fact he's running it on veg oil! :D

It seems to run OK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgtNtHWSOc4

Not sure I like his way of controlling the boost though.

Hmmm, OM606 engine, 603 injector pump and put the whole lot into a W140 CL. Would that work? I do need a project. :lol:

why not give it a go? there was a guy on another video in the link that took an r129 sl320 and swapped the engine for an om606 turbodiesel and fitted the 603 injector pump!:cool::cool:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom