CDI3 EGR bypass mod

Mike_G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 2007 2.7
2007 Sprinter 311CDi EGR

Absolutely fascinating thread!

The EGR valve on my 2007 311CDi has stuck in the closed position. It's totally seized. The van is in limp mode and is reporting an error code of P0404.

I have electronics/microcontroller/PCB making experience so am pretty confident I can design & build and emulator which could fool the ECU into thinking all is functioning as normal. The only(!) thing I don't have is the knowledge of exactly what the ECU needs to see.

I believe my MAF is a frequency modulation type but this should be pretty easy to spoof using a small microcontroller.

Can anyone please tell me what The ECU expects from a working EGR and MAF sensor? I'm going to have a sniff with a logic analyser this weekend but it would be great to have a head start.

The EGR is a Wahler 00005320C5 and the MAF Sensor is part number 000 094 32 48.

Assuming I get a workable solution, I'd be more than happy to share the results!

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
That model of sprinter uses other inputs in addition to the MAF. It uses exhaust gas oxygen sensor as well for sure. Also if its like the 150hp version of the om646 then there is a electronic "throttle" butterfly in the inlet to increase EGR flow. I think you would be better off looking for a EGR delete at the ecu level (and also dpf delete) from an ecu flash tuner. Just don't be tempted to increase the torque mapping at the same time or you will suffer the curse of the 315 sprinter engine destruction.

Last edited:

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
Alex Crow - ref post: 659

Will it be ok for my car m8. Got a p0401 and 1st bank sensor 1 codes coming up with a regular limp mode now. Doing my head in now trying to source correct oil separator and o2 sensor now.

Last edited:

Mike_G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 2007 2.7
Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it.

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
Had STAR scan done. need some input now.

This p1401 error code and intermittent limp mode when it comes up. STAR scan came up with o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1. There is also a internal fuse gone on the glow plug module which puts the glow plug light on n off spradically whilst driving. I red somewhere before that if there is a problem of any kind with the glow plug module then the dpf wont re-generate. So could the problem be. The CAT and DPF have got bunged up because the o2 sensor gone faulty and glow plug module needing that fuse sorted?

Could the fix be:
replace oil seperator
replace o2 sensor
re-gen dpf
sort glow plug module
clean out cat
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Also im waiting on components to asemble this EGR delete mod. Still waiting for an answer on if its defo compatible with my car. My posts seem to be falling on deaf ears lately in here. I guess everybodys busy. Would appreciate some advice. Santa is coming soon :(

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
Built Mod just need some info now

Ive put together this mod. i jus need some clarification that ive used the correct circuit and its compatible with my c220 54 plate 2.1? Components in it are >>>
1x 1n4004
bc 337 transistor
1k res
1.8k res
22k res
2.7k res

patxi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350 Estate
Hitech, that sounds OK, this mod worked well in my 04 plate C220CDI. I've posted several times in this thread about the mod I made, eg
Post #463 and
Post #465

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
c220 2.1 54 plae mod,

Hi patxi. Thank you for reply. Alex Crow also emailed me this morning to confirm. nice one. Did you tidy mod away in the ecu bay? Have you got any pictures of the wires inside the ecu or pinouts? If its exact same car then will be same pin outs ide imagine. But hey never assume. Ive put this mod together. When i measured across the parallel 1.8k and 1k resistor in circuit. It reads 634 Ohms. Could be a cheapo meter. Who knows. If u got any pictures Patxi ide really appreciate it. Hopefully put this mod in Wednesday. I used quite thin cable aswell. 0.5mm ,11A. Isnt any major current with a 12v feed so dont see a problem with it.

Hitech, that sounds OK, this mod worked well in my 04 plate C220CDI. I've posted several times in this thread about the mod I made, eg
Post #463 and
Post #465

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
ECU Pinouts for MAF Signal - WO3, 2.1 54 PLATE

I was just checking my autodata software. Is this the correct pinout for the MAF signal ? The wiring in the engine bays get so faded and hard to make out so was just looking for clarification if this is it. I will do a coninuity test from pin 85 to the connector to check. That would be the right action to take yeah ? Going to fit this today. Just not had the time to tinker lately.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=32785&stc=1&d=1478261356

Attachments

• MAF PINOUTS.jpg
    MAF PINOUTS.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 113

extreminator

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI 2006
Hi Everyone,

I have a bought a EGR emulator from E-Bay and installed it, double check every wire to be 100% sure it was the correct wire to connect using a multimeter. After 2/3 startup's I got a ECL with the code P0102. Cleared the code went for a long ride, no ECL. Got home stopped the car. Later went to work started the car and the ECL kept on since startup, connected my EML327 and got the same code again P0102.

My car is a Class C 220 CDI 150BHP from 2006, no DPF model. Can anyone help me out on this or has any idea what could be?

Thanks!

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
EGR DELETE

Not fitted this yet. Had other things on the go before MOT. Wiring colours on my egr connector are diffirent.

patxi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350 Estate
The only way to be sure you have the correct wire is to continuity test from both ends. Nobody here will be able to tell you the colours as there are a lot of variations

Paulo72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 2003
The only way to be sure you have the correct wire is to continuity test from both ends. Nobody here will be able to tell you the colours as there are a lot of variations

I did mine by software, its desable now.

Paulo72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 2003
Thinking doing the same to avoid ECU errors. Did you made a remap at the same time for more HP?

I was going to do the remap, but at the first test I had a suprise my S211 already had a map made.

alexbetts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito/2006/120cdi
egr delete

hi my names alex ,, i had a dpf remove delete and egr delete done by redline performance of portsmouth ,, my van still isnt running right even though i fitted new airfilter mass flow and pressure sensors ,, limited to 3000rpm with no turbo cutting in ,,then christmas day it starts reving up to normal rpm with no turbo boost now back to 3000rpm ,,must have been an xmas gift from my ecu lol

alexbetts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito/2006/120cdi
spooky happenings

hi my names alex ,, i had a dpf remove delete and egr delete done by redline performance of portsmouth ,, my van still isnt running right even though i fitted new airfilter mass flow and pressure sensors ,, limited to 3000rpm with no turbo cutting in ,,then christmas day it starts reving up to normal rpm with no turbo boost now back to 3000rpm ,,must have been an xmas gift from my ecu lol[/QUOTEf

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
647 engine EGR mod ??

Hi Alex, I know the thread is quite old, but during a reset by an indy of the brake SBC system on my E270 W211 he noticed a higher than normal voltage on the EGR valve side while Xentry was plugged in. Seems it may be clagged up and needs a good clean out.
My question is will your mod work Ok on the old girl and will I be better off removing the EGR and blanking off or just cleaning things up?
Only done 132500 miles and diesel is getting more expensive these days

Cheers

Rob

OK, this works on a W211 with CDI3 electronic EGR valve and 648 (IL6 320 cdi) engine.

It satisfies EGR monitoring function over various driving conditions, and also prevents EGR valve open circuit/short circuit etc fault codes.
On road test the car performed very well, with no black smoke but plenty of acceleration on demand, as said, no codes are being logged during mixed road test and period of idling.

What does it do?

R3 gives a path to ground to 'drag down' maf signal voltage as per earlier CDI2 mod. The diode again is also as per the other mod, and prevents the circuit from raising the maf voltage above its natural value.

R1 satisfies the monitoring of the EGR valve, to avoid open circuit codes.

R2 is a balancing resistor, and has a value chosen with the gain of the transistor in mind, to ensure the transistor is fully saturated when on.

The transistor is used as an inverter, to reverse the PWM signal.

The mod should cause no damage to any electronic components on the car, the max current that can flow is through R3, limited to 18ma or so.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi Alex, I know the thread is quite old, but during a reset by an indy of the brake SBC system on my E270 W211 he noticed a higher than normal voltage on the EGR valve side while Xentry was plugged in. Seems it may be clagged up and needs a good clean out.
My question is will your mod work Ok on the old girl and will I be better off removing the EGR and blanking off or just cleaning things up?
Only done 132500 miles and diesel is getting more expensive these days

Cheers

Rob

This is not the correct mod for the 270 motor. Check out the thread by dieselman for the correct mod. It is well worth doing.

Miknoian

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 e320 CDI
Hi guys, I've recently purchased an EGR emulator similar (or identical?) to Alex's design for my 2005 e320 CDI. The color of my wires do not match any of the variations of color codes provided on the instructions. They say the alternative method is to find the wires using the ECU pin numbers. Would finding these require unplugging the ECU? The instructions are honestly quite poor, and I want to be 100% certain of what's involved to find these. Thank you.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom