Central Locking and Radio stopped working...??

Mark1971

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C160 Sports Coupe
Hi,

This is my 1st posting here and i'm really hoping someone might be able to help me as my problem is now driving me up the wall...

I have a C160 Sports Coupe 2005 and About a month ago the central locking wouldn't open with the key fob which at first I thought... maybe it's the key fob battery.

After testing the spare key fob and that not working either I thought maybe they might need new batteries and so I replaced them. That made no difference at all. I tested the key fobs using a digital camera and they seemed to be working fine showing the infra red.

I can get into the car using the emergency key and use the central locking with the dashboard buttons and the system locks and unlocks happily.

However what I then noticed was that nearly all radio stations have virtually no reception on the radio as well...apart from a couple which are very strong signals..ie..radio 2 and the local radio station that I work for (those 2 are ok to recieve as far as reception is concerned)...otherwise no other stations can be heard clearly at all.

I can't help thinking that there's link here somewhere between the 2 issues.

Could it be that the signal is not being recieved by the car because the key fob for the central locking is also part of the the radio antenna...??? :confused:...also is it something I might be able to do myself

If so how can sort this as Mercedes want £120 just to look at it which I just don't have...

Please help...I'm going nuts with it now...

Regards,

Mark Dover

ps...never used a forum before...not sure if i've this correctly...apologies if I haven't

Last edited:

steve1

Reaction score
Hi, i had the same issue on my s320 the other day, I found another fuse box on the drivers rear back seat behind the "Floor light itself", I only noticed this as the other light fitting was smaller to the car, I beleive it to be a 25 amy fuse, just hope your is the same.

Good luck

OP
M

Mark1971

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. Been really busy so hadn't been able to reply.

Couldn't find any other fuse boxes and no fuses that were blown.

I have noticed that using the key fob with the infrared on the door handle works..but has now started working intermitantly...I also tried key fob from a distance and on one occassion work..lol..and hasn't since.

I really can't fathom out why it's intermittant with the infrared and not at all using it radio wise...it's not battery as there new and is working fine.

And the fact that the radio reception is also gone....is there something that is in commoen with both problems...

If anyone has any other ideas as to what might be causing it... i'd really appreciate it...

Cheers,

Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The antenna amp in the rear is the main cause for both radio and locking

OP
M

Mark1971

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, Thanks for that...

Sorry to sound a bit thick but roughly where is it in the back...is it near where the fuse box is or is it a little more hidden than that.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can I have your next 6 vin numbers after WDB

A

andy@pcd-ltd

It should be on the top part of the rear screen under the plastic trim

OP
M

Mark1971

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey...that was a quick reply... ;-) .. i'll go have a look for the Vin numbers now...back in moment

OP
M

Mark1971

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
chassis number WDB 203730

is that enough for the vin numbers or do you need more...

Thanks for this by the way...really appreciate

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have some documents for you. I need an Email address
Do check the fuse for this

When you get to the amp, tune the radio into a station, unplug the wire that goes to the front of the car, while holding a pin,,and touch this on the center pin of the cable and see if the radio works

OP
M

Mark1971

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks...will look at the pdf...

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent a whole pile to you,, you can edit out your address

NULTY

Reaction score
Central locking and radio not working

Hi television

I have a similar issue with a C220 coupe (52). Key fob not working from a distance (radio too), but works very randomly at the door handle so I believe it's the RF receiver that is not working (is it the antenna amplifier?). Can you describe the location for the receiver or any further instructions on how to test this?

Many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The amp sits in the lining of the C panel ,, there is a fuse for this,,though mostly it is the amp that has gone faulty

Welcome to the forum,,, with the nest 3 vin numbers after 203 I can get some indtructions for you

justintrees

Reaction score
Hello - thanks for all the info here. (saved me a fortune)
I tried fixing my radio/locking problem and noticed that I could get the radio reception to improve by prodding around the wires inside the back door of my 2002 c220cdi coupe. (acting as an ariel?)
Is there a simple way to fix my fm reception?
My chassis number is WDB2037062A343...
my email is justintrees@gmail.com
Thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome Justin,,I have sent all the info do check first for any bad connection,it sounds more to do with the connection onto the rear window in your case

justintrees

Reaction score
Thanks for the pdfs Malcolm
I tried to fix the radio/rf problem last summer when I first got the car. Gave up and have been opening with the key ever since, because the sensor in the handle is dodgy too.
When I first took the panels off the inside of the hatchback I saw that the amp (long circuit board) was hanging off - slumping 5mm away from the glass. It stuck again when I pressed it back on - but no improvement.
You have enthused me to have another try. I have fitted lots of car radio cassettes, but I am struggling with this. - loads of wires!
I will read through your stuff now
cheers
Justin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just ask if you are not sure ans I can give you idea's for quick testing

mattk

Reaction score
Television please help

sorry to jump on this thread but.

i have just bought a 2003 clk convertible, the 209 series and the only way i can open the door is by holding the key fob on the drivers door sensor but it does work every time but i do have to be close to the car, my radio reception seems fine and i have both key fobs and both have new battery's, it is driving me nuts. Any ides what could be wrong.
thanks.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom