Central Locking C180 1995 w202

PuffinBilly

Reaction score
Hi - I can't find anyone with this exact same problem, so wonder if anyone can help.
I have a 1995 C180 w202. It uses the IR only, single button remote keyfob. When I bought it it had a brand new keyfob which has now stopped operating the central locking, but will start the car. Fortunately, when I bought the car it had a broken keyfob, which I repaired (just the switch on the circuit board) and re-synched, and kept it as a spare. This older one operates the central locking fine (and starts the car). I've switched batteries between the keyfobs, but the newer one still doesn't work the CL, whilst the older one does (I've tested both fobs with a digi cam and both are transmitting, and both flash that the batts are ok). So clearly, the circuits in the car are all fine, both key fobs are synched as they both start the car, just that the newer one has suddenly stopped operating the central locking (I've tried re-synching the newer one several times as per the manual, and also tried several other synching variations).
Immediately before the newer fob stopped operating the CL, I was fiddling about with a multi cigarette adaptor to give me power outlets to my new sat nav, plus my hands free, radar detector and phone charging - I managed to run the battery a bit flat and used a booster to start it, before going on a short run. Car starts fine, plenty of power in the battery, just the new fob suddenly won't operate the CL -any ideas?

OP
P

PuffinBilly

Reaction score
Fixed it! - actually wasn't thinking that straight either this morning - of course, if the imob/cl isn't armed any correct key will start the engine as there's no chippery/rfi stuff gong on with the ignition switch on this model.

First I tried batts out of the fob for 10 min and then a re-synch as per the manual - no joy,

So, disconnected car bat and removed fob batts for 1 hr and browsed online.

Re-booted car electrics, re-installed fob batts.

Sitting in the car, two quick clicks pointing at rear view mirror, then into ignition position 2, and all fine.

The manual is actually wrong as it says to point at the door/boot sensor, but this model has no sensors in the door/boot (though it has flashing leds in the door handles), the sensor is in the rear view mirror, which also has flashing leds

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom