1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central Locking ML500 W163 2003

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by TechnoWhizz, Oct 8, 2016.

1. TechnoWhizz

TechnoWhizz Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML500 W163 2003 Black LPG
    Hi Everyone.

I have a recently developed fault which I hope you can help with.

When trying to lock the ML, or when the ML tries to safety lock the doors when moving off, all the doors lock successfully except the drivers door. It seems to try and lock, then unlock, retry, unlock then stop - almost a "machine gun" sound.

If I press the button down it is successful, or if I lock the door manually with the key it's successful.

Is there a switch that needs a clean / replace - only a thought??

Any ideas?

Chris

2. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    Have a search on the forum for bouncing door locks, it's a common fault with an easy fix if your ok with tools, essentially it's a small spring in the door lock that's failed.

3. Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 ML350 Inspiration.2002 ML270 CDI Fully loaded.2019 Insignia SRI.2014 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI.
    As V6Matty says, small spring broken in door locking mechanism...........You Tube " Mercedes machine gun door lock" it will give answers you want.

4. Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
    My CLS was doing the same. If you dont mind taking apart the door to change the spring it will cost you a couple of quid. I got mine under my warranty so they did the whole lock mechanism for the cost of nothing on my end. Got told if you go for the whole lock its well into £100+

5. OP
    TechnoWhizz

TechnoWhizz Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML500 W163 2003 Black LPG
    Thanks to all, but curiously (after I bought the springs) it seems to have resolved itself. At least I've got the springs if it returns!!