change of steering wheel 2005 AMG SL65

bigjohno

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kleemann modified AMG SL65
Guys have a 2005 SL65 with the small transmission shift buttons on the steering wheel.
Got my hands on a later 2006 type with the larger paddles switches, wheel fits perfect no problems except.
These transmission switches are not the same as they both switch from normally open, close on pressing both the same and go to a module housed in the wheel.

My 2005 year has one switch, the down shift normally open as above but the other the up shift button seems to have a resistance presence of 101 ohms and is the opposite function i.e normally closed opens on pressing both are wired in parallel and plug into a two pin socket in the steering unit.

My question is is there any way to mod the latter system to work on the older one and if so how?, cheers johno
. :confused:

Hope that makes sense!!!.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes it makes sense and I understand the problem,,I will try and check but it is nor easy, a similar problem was over come on a 203 by changing the module that the steering wheel clock spring goes to

OP
B

bigjohno

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kleemann modified AMG SL65
Yes it makes sense and I understand the problem,,I will try and check but it is nor easy, a similar problem was over come on a 203 by changing the module that the steering wheel clock spring goes to

Thanks Mal have tried this today stripped the old switch down removed the 2005 up shift micro switch board, stripped the new 2006 switch down again removed the board and inners and thrown away, drilled filed, messed about for hours trying to make the old board fit the new switch, glued the lot in there, and it does work well so far. Obviously if you need to change switches at some point you need a old unit plus a new one to butcher up again, not quite the right way really, couldnt think of anything else unless a certain M/Benz vehicle uses a normally closed up shift switch then all you would need to do is fit a 101 ohm resistance in the circuit, if anyone knows a better idea or way let me know,:idea: cheers Johno,

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom