Changing factory order - reasonable expectations?

markjames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 Mercedes CLA 220D AMG Line
Hi All,

My first post - hopefully one of many - nice to meet you all.

On May 5th I ordered a new CLA 220, with estimated delivery date of 25th July. After deliberating my chosen spec, I decided to change the wheels I'd selected - originally I ordered the upgraded black spoke ones (+£360), however I requested that he amended the order to the standard ones instead. I did this on the 5th June.

My dealer has been pretty poor in terms of responsiveness; he never returns my calls or emails, and when I finally got through to him, he said he would see what he could do but couldn't make any promises. I followed this up several times to see if he had been successful, and never got a response. Now, my collection date is tomorow, and the car is here with black wheels. He has said he couldn't amend the order, but I feel he has just forgotten.

Having ordered new cars in the past, I know from experience that changing the order details etc can cause delays and problems. I don't know how the Mercedes ordering process works, but I would think that changing the wheels with 6-8 weeks notice is a fairly reasonable request.

Do you think I am within my rights to question this issue when I collect the car and ask for something to be done about it? Or, from other's experiences, is this how Mercedes ordering process works, and I should just accept it?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I am not sure about the changes there are others on here with better knowledge than me but.....

I would be very disappointed by the lack of contact by the salesman or dealership.

You changed the order roughly a month after placing it so it would have been with Mercedes and it does seem like a month is a fair while to decide on a change, that said your request was wheels so should not have been too difficult.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This has been up before, I believe it is hard to change the order, there should be something on the order contract about making changes and time limits.

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
+1 you need to check the small print on the order form, there will be limitation clauses on order changes which you need to verify first...

PS. Welcome to the forum:D

This has been up before, I believe it is hard to change the order, there should be something on the order contract about making changes and time limits.

Last edited:

Yellowduck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
When I ordered my 213 back in early May, the car had a specific build date listed on the MB system.

I was advised my build date was 16th June. I was told by my dealer, any changes had to be entered on the system by the 14th June. The car was a dealer pre ordered car, and I completely changed the spec, including colour and interior. Also added packs, upgraded sound system, and split rear seats. I made my final alteration on 13th June.

Any MB dealer should be able to tell you the build date of your car.

The key to whether your change was possible depends on the specific build date for your car. If you notified the dealer (hopefully in writing) at least 48 hours before the build date, then there should be no excuses, and I would refuse to pay for the wheels you do not want.

On a positive note, changing wheels is a lot easier than many of the other options!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I ordered my 213 back in early May, the car had a specific build date listed on the MB system.

I was advised my build date was 16th June. I was told by my dealer, any changes had to be entered on the system by the 14th June. The car was a dealer pre ordered car, and I completely changed the spec, including colour and interior. Also added packs, upgraded sound system, and split rear seats. I made my final alteration on 13th June.

Any MB dealer should be able to tell you the build date of your car.

The key to whether your change was possible depends on the specific build date for your car. If you notified the dealer (hopefully in writing) at least 48 hours before the build date, then there should be no excuses, and I would refuse to pay for the wheels you do not want.

On a positive note, changing wheels is a lot easier than many of the other options!

I have known Mercedes to change the wheels in the showroom for the sake of good will.

Last edited:
OP
M

markjames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have had no information from my dealer about a build week, only a guideline for a delivery date. I also have no other contract other than my order form. This form gives me no information other than what I've ordered, and (unfortunately) says that I am legally bound by what I have ordered.

That being said, I still feel I have received a bad service. My car is now going to be at least 5 days later than planned because something else has been messed up too.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have had no information from my dealer about a build week, only a guideline for a delivery date. I also have no other contract other than my order form. This form gives me no information other than what I've ordered, and (unfortunately) says that I am legally bound by what I have ordered.

That being said, I still feel I have received a bad service. My car is now going to be at least 5 days later than planned because something else has been messed up too.

Ok so the dealer should have had way better communication with you but bottom line is you signed and accepted the contract.
With the best will in the world delays happen.

Don't let it get under your skin, you have a new car coming soon that you've no doubt worked hard for and deserve.
In my humble opinion you need to get your head around it and make the very best you can of the collection day. Otherwise your car will never have the feel that it should each time you reach for the keys.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so the dealer should have had way better communication with you but bottom line is you signed and accepted the contract.
With the best will in the world delays happen.

Don't let it get under your skin, you have a new car coming soon that you've no doubt worked hard for and deserve.
In my humble opinion you need to get your head around it and make the very best you can of the collection day. Otherwise your car will never have the feel that it should each time you reach for the keys.

Just so true, it should be a very nice time.

OP
M

markjames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't mind the delays, I just think that their overall poor service and lack of comms has basically meant they either forgot or didn't bother to amend something on the order that was important to me, and would have hopefully been a straightforward amendment at their end, since it was only the wheels.

I will love the car when it arrives either way. I am a petrolhead through and through, both wheels are very nice and it isn't a dealbreaker. It's just such an expensive exercise to swap from one set of official MB wheels to another, if I so felt like it aftewards.

I will post a few photos when I get my hands on it!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do need to see if they can still sort your problems out, hopefully you have proof of your communication?
Go as high as you can with your complaint, I wouldn't take the keys until you're either happy with the car or happy that someone higher up is interested in resolving any issues you have.

Good luck with everything.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As the car is new I would have thought that the dealer would just change them, many want the black wheels.

OP
M

markjames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I will do. At minimum, I think I will request to not pay for the wheels that have been ordered, if I can find out my build week first.

It may seem like 'first world problems', but I am disabled and the dealership were well aware that an accurate delivery date was important as it affected my current vehicle. Aside from the wheels issue, my car is now going to be at least 5 days late due to a simple error with paperwork. They also haven't ordered the AMG spoiler I added in good time (they tell me it's on 'back order' - I ordered it in May), again a simple thing that they had ample time to sort out.

I'll stop complaining now, but it's my first Mercedes and not been a great experience. I had the same issues at Audi. I'm one step away from going back to Ford!

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
If it's any use to you, my car has black wheels and they are hard to keep clean! Don't get me wrong, really nice when clean but they just attract everything!

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would still mention your displeasure and experience to the stealer, maybe speak direct with the sales manager, document it in the customer experience online feedback form you will get after vehicle pickup...it will make absolutely no difference...not a great start but I am sure you will enjoy the car!

I don't mind the delays, I just think that their overall poor service and lack of comms has basically meant they either forgot or didn't bother to amend something on the order that was important to me, and would have hopefully been a straightforward amendment at their end, since it was only the wheels.

I will love the car when it arrives either way. I am a petrolhead through and through, both wheels are very nice and it isn't a dealbreaker. It's just such an expensive exercise to swap from one set of official MB wheels to another, if I so felt like it aftewards.

I will post a few photos when I get my hands on it!

OP
M

markjames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Haha - another reason for me to push for the silver ones I want

OP
M

markjames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would still mention your displeasure and experience to the stealer, maybe speak direct with the sales manager, document it in the customer experience online feedback form you will get after vehicle pickup...it will make absolutely no difference...not a great start but I am sure you will enjoy the car!

I'll let them know - confrontation isn't my strong point but i'll see if I can push it

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its not a confrontation Mark, your giving them honest genuine feedback on your new car buying experience....if they listen to the voice of the customer then it should initiate continuous improvement business initiatives...so in fact your helping the stealer improve:p

I'll let them know - confrontation isn't my strong point but i'll see if I can push it

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Some people think they have to raise their voice and get some veins showing but that not the case.
A firm but polite refusal to complete the sale and pick the car up is all that's needed, along with an explanation of the salesmans communication failure of course.
It may take a day or two of it being under the managers nose before he picks the phone up to resolve any issues and you might have to accept the car as ordered buy at least you would have given it your best shot.

The fact you need to pick it up as soon as possible doesn't help.
Once the car is driven away you lose any chance of the wheels being changed at the managers discretion.

Top Bottom